Lower The Flag: Pancho’s Torn Down

Stoney

I saw it last night, and it made me sad.  I still have the three in the Houston area that I can still go to.  My family went out to eat at Pancho's in Longview near the Gregg County Fairgrounds, Cargill Theater, Gorman McCracken Volkswagen/Mazda, and the old Hush Puppy than any other restaurant.  I would say Wyatt's came in at #2.  Crazy Mary as my Dad would call her was our favorite waitress, and would always be around when we raised the flag.  She was a wonderful waitress.  I've ate there since the time I was in a high chair when kids ate free to even now.  Not only did that old building have Pancho's, but also Mike's Supper Club back in the day, and then a teen dance club I used to go to as a teenager called Greenville Ave..  I pray they never go out of business in Houston.  I love the Chile relleno's, flauta's, cheese enchiladas, tacos, chicken enchiladas, guacamole salad that is just as good or better than anywhere, and of course sopapillas.  Their cheese sauce is great with the chopped green chile's.  I was hoping one day that it would reopen there, because Pancho's made Longview home.  Many memories are gone with the destruction of that building.  My parents even had a pre-lunch there for their 50th wedding anniversary with all of my brothers and grandchildren.  It's odd that I saw that photo yesterday going through some of my parents pictures, because I was thinking of them.  

• 1 month later...

I think that building still looked pretty cool. No idea on what the inside was like, and it said there was asbestos, but it was neat to me. The sign looks cool, too.

I have wondered what the inside of Movies 9 is like now after the car dealership took it over. Is it basically still like it was as a theater and they just store stuff in there, or did they gut it out?

Then you have Fast Track that ABC Auto took over. The go cart track was untouched from what it looked like, though I haven't really looked closely to see if that is the case, so it just sits there and no one can use it.

8 hours ago, tdl797 said:

I think that building still looked pretty cool. No idea on what the inside was like, and it said there was asbestos, but it was neat to me. The sign looks cool, too.

I have wondered what the inside of Movies 9 is like now after the car dealership took it over. Is it basically still like it was as a theater and they just store stuff in there, or did they gut it out?

Then you have Fast Track that ABC Auto took over. The go cart track was untouched from what it looked like, though I haven't really looked closely to see if that is the case, so it just sits there and no one can use it.

I hated when they shut down the old Cargill Theater.  That was the place to see movies back in the day.  At one point up until the early 70's it was a one screen theater, until they turned it into a three screen theater.  If the rumor mill is correct they did that remodel after they showed "Gone With the Wind".  I wish I would have been old enough to seen one movie on that huge screen.  They added the other theaters in 1980 or 1981.  I probably saw over 300 movies there.  

On 9/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, tdl797 said:

Took my high school girlfriend to that theater to see “Lord of The Rings.”  That was last time I’d ever set foot in there. 

My Grandpa’s two favorite places to eat were Pancho’s and what was the steakhouse that used to be across from Mervyn’s, Bonanza? 

Fast Track used to be the coolest. You always heard rumors of the kid that was able to hit off the Nolan Ryan setting in the batting cage.

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

Took my high school girlfriend to that theater to see “Lord of The Rings.”  That was last time I’d ever set foot in there. 

My Grandpa’s two favorite places to eat were Pancho’s and what was the steakhouse that used to be across from Mervyn’s, Bonanza? 

Fast Track used to be the coolest. You always heard rumors of the kid that was able to hit off the Nolan Ryan setting in the batting cage.

The Cargill did become a dump after it became a $1 movie theater, but most of them do.  I remember the Jerry Lewis Theater on the Spur was the first, and it went downhill, and then the NorthLoop 6 behind the Mall off Judson and the Loop did the same.  I suppose they try to use them until the patrons tear them up.  

Bonanza was was on Judson across from the old Owen's restaurant and Bank One.  It's now the Chili's.  Owen's was similar to Bob Evans that you can find in northern states.  Dunston's was on McCann across from the Mall just past Mr. Gatti's.  

I only went to the Fast Track once, but it had just opened in the late 70's, and that scene wasn't really where you took a date to.  I took my girlfriend once, but she didn't seem to care for the place.  I remember they had bumper boats too, but it was rarely opened.  I still say South Green Miniature Golf Course was the best place to play, and at one time Longview had 5 miniature golf places.  There was one off Ward St. by the RollerCade #2 it was terrible they used wood chips for the greens that were spray painted, South Green, The one by the Twin Pines Drive in that had go carts and a driving range (It was run down in the 70's), Putt Putt at Bill Owens Pkwy., and the one at McWhorter Park that also had batting cages and mini arcade. I remember when my cousin Sid Childress set the World Record for  Stargate.  That was published in gaming magazines as well back in the mid 80's.  

As for the old Pancho's building it was next door to Mike's Supper Club in the 70's and early 80's and later Greenville Ave. that was a teen dance club similar to Baker St. on W. Highway 80 in the Cammack Drug Shopping Center, and then there was Monaco's downtown.    

On 9/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, Stoney said:

They were mostly grounders. I never ripped one deep off Nolan.    :woot:

• LOL! 1

20 hours ago, tdl797 said:

FYI - there is a Mr Gatti's in Tyler now, in the shopping center across from the mall that has Big Lots and Ken's Pizza.

I seem to only remember eating at the one in Longview once.

I remember when Mr. Gatti's was in Tyler before.  I believe it's where Monterrey House used to be then Mr. Gatti's and then Daniel Boone's, and then Jucy's.  It was just down from where The Hoffbrau later Dream Weaver's was.  

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I saw where the old Pancho’s building was torn down the other day; That used to be some good food. Progress, I guess; Maybe something nice will be built there.

I saw they tore down the Waffle Shoppe at the Spur and 80 the other day.  I know people went there after a night of drinking, but it was on par with the Waffle House, and not really fit to eat.  

41 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I saw they tore down the Waffle Shoppe at the Spur and 80 the other day.  I know people went there after a night of drinking, but it was on par with the Waffle House, and not really fit to eat.  

That place sat derelict for years; It should have been demolished a decade ago.

22 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

That place sat derelict for years; It should have been demolished a decade ago.

I had only been to it twice in my life.  When it first opened in 1978 and  when a girlfriend of mine wanted to eat after  going out.  I told her I knew there was a reason I never went back there again.  Now Sambo's I miss.  It was at the other end of 80 near Alpine.  I forgot what it is now.