💥 Battle over the Second Amendment

RETIREDFAN1

Firearms Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Universal Background Checks for all gun sales and transfers?

2. 2. Do you support expanded screening for prohibited buyers to include persons with violent mental health history?

3. 3. Do you support reinstating the 1994 assault weapons ban?

6 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

We have got to start taking mental health more seriously. This kid was crazy from what I read. He commented on a YouTube video saying "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." The FBI knew about that. Even his friends joked that if anyone was to shoot up a school, it would be him. Kids have to realize that sometimes being a snitch isn't a bad thing. If someone shows signs of crazy or being unstable, tell someone. if you're not sure, still tell someone. Better safe than sorry.

As far as the gun convo goes, this kid bought it legally. Which doesn't make sense to me. Idk if we need to make it harder for people or really start looking at background checks harder. I have no idea. But in my personal opinion, the gun is a tool, the mental health is the source. I have 0 solutions to this. Taking guns away would be stupid, but I don't think it would be a bad thing making it more difficult for some individuals.

The shooter ( I already forgot his name ) was not mentally ill.  He knew right from wrong .  He tried to escape which proves he knew he did a bad thing.  Mental illness will not hold water in this case.  He should and probably will get the death penalty.  

Getting revenge is a natural human emotion and not a mental illness.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, 4to3 said:

The leader of a white nationalist militia called the Republic of Florida said Cruz was a member of his group and participated in exercises in Tallahassee.

Jordan Jereb told The Associated Press that did not know Cruz personally and that "he acted on his own behalf" and is "solely responsible for what he just did."

The group wants Florida to become its own white ethno-state. Jereb said his organization holds "spontaneous random demonstrations" and tries not to participate in the modern world.

Likely the reason he was bullied.  He was a racist.  

25 minutes ago, CENTEXFAN said:

The shooter ( I already forgot his name ) was not mentally ill.  He knew right from wrong .  He tried to escape which proves he knew he did a bad thing.  Mental illness will not hold water in this case.  He should and probably will get the death penalty.  

Getting revenge is a natural human emotion and not a mental illness.  

Even CNN disagrees with you ...

CNN: Florida Shooting Suspect Had History of Mental Illness

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/mental-illness-shooter-school-shooting-florida/2018/02/15/id/843658/

13 minutes ago, 4to3 said:

Disagree on blaming the FBI.  Local authorities have the same jurisdiction here to investigate imminent threats.  If we are going hand it over to the FBI then we are getting closer to a federalizing all law enforcement.

I disagree ... he was reported to the FBI.  The FBI should have worked with local authorities to monitor/intervene.  I never said anything about handing it over to the FBI or federalizing all law enforcement ... the FBI is at least partially to blame for not following up and keeping track of this individual ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I disagree ... he was reported to the FBI.  The FBI should have worked with local authorities to monitor/intervene.  I never said anything about handing it over to the FBI or federalizing all law enforcement ... the FBI is at least partially to blame for not following up and keeping track of this individual ...

I gotta go with you on this one, Kirt. Then if the FBI contacts the local authorities, and they drop the ball, it's on local authorities instead of FBI.

43 minutes ago, 4to3 said:

The leader of a white nationalist militia called the Republic of Florida said Cruz was a member of his group and participated in exercises in Tallahassee.

Jordan Jereb told The Associated Press that did not know Cruz personally and that "he acted on his own behalf" and is "solely responsible for what he just did."

The group wants Florida to become its own white ethno-state. Jereb said his organization holds "spontaneous random demonstrations" and tries not to participate in the modern world.

No evidence to support this claim yet. Also Tallahassee (where the ROF is based from) is 430 miles from parkland. That's a long trip for a high schooler to be a part of something. 

Minus the obvious stuff, nikolas de Jesus Cruz the white nationalist? Also that he shot up a bunch of white students. 

IMG_4666.JPG

28 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I gotta go with you on this one, Kirt. Then if the FBI contacts the local authorities, and they drop the ball, it's on local authorities instead of FBI.

I agree, It's on both of them, if the FBI coordinated with them ... if not, the FBI dropped the ball ....

1 hour ago, CENTEXFAN said:

Try this link.  

Brutal video but must see.  Remember you only have to be 18 years old , and no background check to purchase this rifle.

Where are you getting that you don’t have to do a background check to buy the rifle? My wife purchased a bolt-action rifle for my daughter this past December, and she had to submit to a background check. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ScreamingEagle said:

I think we should let all students carry in school because, you know, Murica. 

I remember when students brought their rifles to school in the gun racks.  Amazingly enough I never heard of a shooting until the late 70's and none in the 80's.  I also didn't hear of anyone having their guns stolen back then.  I still want to know what drugs were in this kids system, because what I'm hearing is he showed all symptoms of being under their influence.  That's what I think we need to get rid of.  

6 hours ago, JV_COACH said:

MAYBE NOT PUTTING KIDS ON DRUGS WOULD HELP SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
Every single mass shooter over the past 20 years has been committed by someone on a narrow band of antidepressants, and yet we get barely a peep about this from the mainstream media.

Bullets-Pills-Antidepressants-1.pngIt makes sense for someone who is anti-gun to ignore the connection between antidepressants and mass shootings.  From a purely tactical perspective, mass shootings are a big win for the anti-gun lobby, with each shooting causing a litany of anti-gun articles in every major news outlet (save Fox News) in the country.  The gun rights lobby may have logic and reason on their side, but logic and reason mean very little in the wake of seventeen dead school children, and a gun ban hits all the right emotional buttons, 

It goes further back more than 50 years ago, even when ADHD drugs were sold over the counter it happened in Texas in Austin.  I wish I could find the article that showed them all, but this shows a few.  http://www.wnd.com/2015/06/big-list-of-drug-induced-killers/  .  I wish the police would have taken him out at the scene to save taxpayer money for his treatment, incarceration, and probably eventual death penalty.  We all know he's guilty so why wait ???  

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Even CNN disagrees with you ...

CNN: Florida Shooting Suspect Had History of Mental Illness

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/mental-illness-shooter-school-shooting-florida/2018/02/15/id/843658/

I think anyone that is prescribed medication for ADHD or any other mental disorder should not be allowed to own a gun until those drugs are completely out of their system.  As shown that is the common link with all of these shootings.  5 million+ Americans own AR 15's but only the one's that are using those drugs are committing these mass shootings.  I know many that are prescribed these medications don't commit shootings, but how many of them own guns ?  We don't have that stat.  

19 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I remember when students brought their rifles to school in the gun racks.  Amazingly enough I never heard of a shooting until the late 70's and none in the 80's.  I also didn't hear of anyone having their guns stolen back then.  I still want to know what drugs were in this kids system, because what I'm hearing is he showed all symptoms of being under their influence.  That's what I think we need to get rid of.  

I brought a Savage over and under 410/22 to school in the 5th grade for show and tell ... and there were lots of pick up trucks with gun racks and guns in the school parking lot when I was in high school ... and we never had a gun related incident at school ... what has changed? Maybe the guns have gotten meaner or something ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youngcoach123 said:

No evidence to support this claim yet. Also Tallahassee (where the ROF is based from) is 430 miles from parkland. That's a long trip for a high schooler to be a part of something. 

Minus the obvious stuff, nikolas de Jesus Cruz the white nationalist? Also that he shot up a bunch of white students. 

He was 19 and out of school from my understanding.  I'm not sure if he graduated or dropped out, because I can't find that information only that he was a former student.  I can assure you that I made a 814 mile trip to Cincinnati to see my brother in 1988.  I was already living on my own and supporting myself.  As shown by your article they have yet to find a link, and you are correct why did he shoot so many white students if he was a white supremacist.  

31 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Where are you getting that you don’t have to do a background check to buy the rifle? My wife purchased a bolt-action rifle for my daughter this past December, and she had to submit to a background check. 

I bought my AR-15 at a gun show, and I didn't.  Florida doesn't require  a background check per sheriff of Parkland.  

1 minute ago, CENTEXFAN said:

I bought my AR-15 at a gun show, and I didn't.  Florida doesn't require  a background check per sheriff of Parkland.  

Background checks are only required for new gun purchases from dealers.  You can buy and sell used guns all day long without a background check ... person to person  ...

51 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Background checks are only required for new gun purchases from dealers.  You can buy and sell used guns all day long without a background check ... person to person  ...

From my understanding you can't sell one to a felon.  I used to see billboards around Houston that stated that it was a violation of State Law.  This is what I found as the State law in Texas :  Tex. Penal Code § 46.06(a): May not knowingly transfer firearms to anyone intending to use it unlawfully; a child under 18 (without parent or guardian's permission); or an intoxicated person. 

In my opinion, someone that is being treated for various mental health reasons is under the intoxicated if they have been prescribed medication that hinders their ability to think as they normally would.  If they act erratic without any medication then they shouldn't be allowed to purchase one.  We've all seen people act crazy on a regular basis, not just sporadic intervals, but a regular basis.  You should see me after a Cowboys Super Bowl victory.  I'm not burning down a town, looting, or going nuts, but I'm whooping it up for a good 30 minutes the same with an Astros or Yankees World Series victory.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I remember when students brought their rifles to school in the gun racks.   

When I was in the 5th or 6th grade (mid 1970s) I brought a WWII Japanese bayonet to school just to show it off. My great uncle had brought it back from the pacific. Nobody thought anything about it back then.

19 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

From my understanding you can't sell one to a felon.  I used to see billboards around Houston that stated that it was a violation of State Law.  This is what I found as the State law in Texas :  Tex. Penal Code § 46.06(a): May not knowingly transfer firearms to anyone intending to use it unlawfully; a child under 18 (without parent or guardian's permission); or an intoxicated person. 

Nobody buying or selling a gun, person to person, at a gun show verifies whether the other person is a felon or not.  There is no way of verifying something like that without a background check.  It just doesn't happen.  I have bought and sold several guns with just a exchange of cash and a handshake.  I wouldn't sell one to a drunk though ... :drool:

• Mr. P changed the title to 💥 Battle over the Second Amendment
  • Mr. P locked and unlocked this topic