Scrimmage Week: Texas High at Longview

LoboFan07

longview.pngtexashigh.png

Thought we'd have a scrimmage thread for the scrimmage this coming Friday. Tigers visiting Lobo Stadium, with varsity scrimmage starting around 7 PM. 

Lobos open their defending State Champion season with their lone scrimmage of the season. Second time the two teams have ever scrimmaged against one another, with the only other time being last season up in Texarkana.

Longview had a 16-0 season last season, ending with the 6A Division II State Title coming back to East Texas, while Texas High had their worst season since finishing 5-5 in 2000, with their 3-7 record. 

Lobos and Tigers know each other very well, having met 63 previous times on the gridiron. Longview is 40-22-1 in games between the two schools, with the Lobos having won the past 11 meetings. Texas High's last victory in Longview came in 1984, when the Tigers escaped Longview with a 6-0 victory. Texas High hasn't beaten Longview at Grim Park since 1980, a 10-8 Tiger win. 

Two teams in very different places right now, but hopefully it can be a solid scrimmage this Friday night at Lobo Stadium.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AKA said:

Gonna be watching the o-line the entire game. I won't even be watching the ball. Just the o-line. They really need to come together right away. 

This and I want them to target CB2 early and often. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Truth.

Hopefully it’s not as hot as it was for y’all this past Friday!!

Yesterday was just to much.  At least in the evening the sun isn't right on you on the home side. It will still be hot, though. Oh well. 

GO LOBOS!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Tried finding something in the Texarkana newspaper about the Tigers and their fall so far, but not a peep there.

its all PG this year. gazette usually puts out a pretty nice football preview for the area teams probably be out this weekend if i had to guess.

I personally know the dad of a couple of players on the Tiger squad and according to him there is an air of great optimism surrounding this year's team.  They will be breaking in a new qb who was a wide receiver last year that has good size, a good arm, and good wheels.  They should have plenty of quality receivers.  The rbs are average and overall, the success of the offense is going to depend on the o-line and the long term health of the team.  I watched a practice and they were slinging it around pretty well.  We will have to see how they fare against outside competition.  Going against a defending state champion may or may not be an accurate gauge of the Tigers but hopefully they can hold their own against LV and both teams get out of the scrimmage healthy.  I don't know much about the defense but hopefully they have more size this season especially at linebacker.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

I personally know the dad of a couple of players on the Tiger squad and according to him there is an air of great optimism surrounding this year's team.  They will be breaking in a new qb who was a wide receiver last year that has good size, a good arm, and good wheels.  They should have plenty of quality receivers.  The rbs are average and overall, the success of the offense is going to depend on the o-line and the long term health of the team.  I watched a practice and they were slinging it around pretty well.  We will have to see how they fare against outside competition.  Going against a defending state champion may or may not be an accurate gauge of the Tigers but hopefully they can hold their own against LV and both teams get out of the scrimmage healthy.  I don't know much about the defense but hopefully they have more size this season especially at linebacker.

Great! Thank you for the info!

34 minutes ago, AKA said:

Any info about the format?

https://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/et-football-lobos-begin-week-two-of-practice-scrimmage-on/article_33b0af02-c2e9-11e9-9bdf-8b279727dd00.html

The varsity portion is set to begin at 7 p.m. with each unit, first and second team, getting two sessions of 12-snaps. That will be followed by a special teams segment and will conclude with a 15-minute live half.

• Like 1