Week 1: Atlanta @ Gilmer - 8/30

H3llR4z0r

Atlanta vs Gilmer @ Jeff Traylor Stadium - 8/30  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?? (Atlanta is the correct answer ;))

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/31/2019 at 12:30 AM

Last year, I thought the defense was OK. They were prone to the big play, and they did get pushed around by bigger teams. But the turnover bug hurt  Gilmer last year.  The offense made too many mistakes putting the defense in bad positions.  If the offense doesn’t turn the ball over as much, they could be much better.

It’s hard to say how Gilmer will be, because I don’t know if last year was an aberration or a sign of things to come. I think they can beat Atlanta, but their schedule is not any easier this year than last year, and they are still in the hardest  4A D2 district in the state.

We did spot them 21pts last year  before we got things going to only lose by 6. If we come out playing and no repeat last years, we have a really good shot to beat them. Its always hard to beat the buckeyes at home of course, but I really like our chances. It could be a great year for us starting Friday night.

2 hours ago, frozeng03 said:

We did spot them 21pts last year  before we got things going to only lose by 6. If we come out playing and no repeat last years, we have a really good shot to beat them. Its always hard to beat the buckeyes at home of course, but I really like our chances. It could be a great year for us starting Friday night.

Yea we got very conservative and started doing to much subbing in and out. Honestly I don’t think this game will be within 21 points 

22 hours ago, Hawks2021 said:

Interested in Gilmer's defense and how it performs.  I think their O will be fine, but if they want to threaten in district or in the playoffs, the defense is going to have to have gotten much better than last year.

Preach it, brother!  I think they will be much improved over last season.  At least that's the way it's looking so far.  We haven't been good defensively for a long while.  Even when we were winning more games, it was because of our offense being so good.  When the offense isn't clicking we have been in trouble.

19 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Last year, I thought the defense was OK. They were prone to the big play, and they did get pushed around by bigger teams. But the turnover bug hurt  Gilmer last year.  The offense made too many mistakes putting the defense in bad positions.  If the offense doesn’t turn the ball over as much, they could be much better.

It’s hard to say how Gilmer will be, because I don’t know if last year was an aberration or a sign of things to come. I think they can beat Atlanta, but their schedule is not any easier this year than last year, and they are still in the hardest  4A D2 district in the state.

Several things led to last year's anomaly (at least I hope it was an anomaly).  Firstly, inconsistent o-line play.  I think the turnover in coaching staff had a lot to do with that.  Secondly, turnovers.  The turnovers have been killers for the last 4 years.  Our QBs have to make better decisions.  The coaches have to get in their ears a little, or bench them when they continue to make mistakes over and over and over...  Thirdly, confusion on defense, and lack of pressure.  Nobody seems to know how to shed blocks, defensive backs get confused easily, and there were a lot of missed assignments overall.  We were small defensively also, which doesn't help.  We got pushed around pretty easily at times.  Not a good formula for success for sure.  We did get better as the year went on, but we still didn't get anywhere near where we needed to be to compete with the elite teams.

I just hope we have a little more fire to compete this year, and I think we will.  Having that fire will help overcome some of our shortcomings.

11 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Preach it, brother!  I think they will be much improved over last season.  At least that's the way it's looking so far.  We haven't been good defensively for a long while.  Even when we were winning more games, it was because of our offense being so good.  When the offense isn't clicking we have been in trouble.

19 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

everybody is saying gilmers offense will be better this year and im like I don't see how , because to me that running back webb they had was the key cog in there wheel ,  who is replacing him?   cause Atlanta couldn't stop him last year, 

45 minutes ago, Mudman246 said:

everybody is saying gilmers offense will be better this year and im like I don't see how , because to me that running back webb they had was the key cog in there wheel ,  who is replacing him?   cause Atlanta couldn't stop him last year, 

#22 D Bush. He replaced Webb for several games last year when Webb got hurt. Bush is bigger, about 5'9 210. Also think they will be better offensively this year, and a LOT better defensively. 

13 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

#22 D Bush. He replaced Webb for several games last year when Webb got hurt. Bush is bigger, about 5'9 210. Also think they will be better offensively this year, and a LOT better defensively. 

QB play should be better also. They back and forth last year was garbage. Mason has the reigns this year. He looks to be much bigger and stronger. Gilmer is always better when the QB is a little of a running threat. Hopefully he will move a little more than he did last year. 

16 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Yeah, I get where Mudman is coming from though. The last 2 years really, Atlanta had success stopping Gilmer until they put Webb in. Last year it seemed like it was only a handful of times, but it was times they really needed him. He may have had issues (not going there) for whatever reason, but that kid was a stud. Gilmer knows, even if they don't agree with how a said athlete is behaving (whomever fault it is), to put the ball in the hands of their best players. Webb has been Gilmer's best RB for a couple of years easy imo. 

15 minutes ago, jubilant said:

QB play should be better also. They back and forth last year was garbage. Mason has the reigns this year. He looks to be much bigger and stronger. Gilmer is always better when the QB is a little of a running threat. Hopefully he will move a little more than he did last year. 

Hahaha now I was with u when u were saying the back fourth, but mason bigger and stronger ur pushing it lol. He’s gonna have to definitely play better because the tennison kid is the real deal but will help us at wideout 

16 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Yeah, I get where Mudman is coming from though. The last 2 years really, Atlanta had success stopping Gilmer until they put Webb in. Last year it seemed like it was only a handful of times, but it was times they really needed him. He may have had issues (not going there) for whatever reason, but that kid was a stud. Gilmer knows, even if they don't agree with how a said athlete is behaving (whomever fault it is), to put the ball in the hands of their best players. Webb has been Gilmer's best RB for a couple of years easy imo. 

The Webb kid didn’t have any issues besides his knee last yr he’s a great kid you’re speaking of another kid he wasn’t there last yr 

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

The Webb kid didn’t have any issues besides his knee last yr he’s a great kid you’re speaking of another kid he wasn’t there last yr 

I think he's confusing Webb with Ward.  Ward graduated the year before.  Webb was fighting the injury bug for most of the year last year.  He'll be missed, but it will give others their opportunities to shine -- Bush being one of them.  It seems we've never had a shortage of good RBs, especially once they get reps.

1 hour ago, Hawknation03 said:

LOL ,,, Love to see Atlanta win but I wouldn't bet the farm. I mean it took the 2017 Hawks a last minute field goal miss to win at JT field. They are tough to beat at home,,, just saying!

Well we almost beat them on JT field that year. 

But it took us winning a state championship to beat them last time lol. 

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

I think he's confusing Webb with Ward.  Ward graduated the year before.  Webb was fighting the injury bug for most of the year last year.  He'll be missed, but it will give others their opportunities to shine -- Bush being one of them.  It seems we've never had a shortage of good RBs, especially once they get reps.

You're right. I was thinking about Ward. 

You and us both. If we could just produce QBs and OL we'd be set. 

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

Webb had a good game against Atlanta in both his junior and senior seasons. He didn't reinjure his knee last year until the first half of the Paris game two weeks later.

According to MaxPreps, his junior year against Atlanta he had 12 carries for 104 yards and a TD, plus he ran a kickoff back 90 yards for another TD. In last year's game, Webb carried 22 times for 166 yards and 3 TDs.

Its GAME DAY BUCKEYES! Let's get out there and show them Rabbits what we do and WIN this game. Hope everyone gets out injury free and Safe travels to ATL as they come down to here to watch this game. Its finally time to play ball fellas.