Week Two: Marshall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (0-1)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/2019 at 12:30 AM

33 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Hayden just posted the official stats. 36 pass attempts ties for the 2nd most in program history. Most since 1965 (the record is 38 set in that same year). Also tied with a game in 1950 and 1939. 

Only the 18th game in program history with 30 or more throws in one game.

My guess in 1965 would be James Street as that was his Senior Football season.

Street (nicknamed Slick) would gain greater fame a few years later as the QB at The University of Texas running the option based "Wishbone" Offense created by Emory Bellard and Darrell Royal !

R.J.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AKA said:

Do what?!!

Who in the heck was slingin' the ball 30+ times back in '39 and '50? That must've been crazy to see...

1950 - Jerry Matthews. Lost 32-7 to Gladewater. Had just had 22 guys ruled ineligible a couple games prior, so ended the season by deciding to throw the ball 36 times lol.
1939 - Quarterback was Worsham (can't find the first name in any documentation). Came in a 6-0 loss to Kilgore. 

1965 record setter was indeed James Street, but he only completed 13 of those 38 passes. Came in a 25-13 loss to Texas High.

Only win out of all 4, came last night.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

Anytime you beat Lufkin AT LUFKIN you’ve done something. They are crafty and talent laden. Longview will look like a state contender around district time. Week 6 Lobos won’t even remotely resemble Week 1 Lobos.

Have you seen their refs!?? Now, they put the letter 'C' in crafty!

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Interesting quote from Marshall’s new coach. Already going after the fans...

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sports/mavs-drop-season-opener-to-red-raiders/article_2e08bcc4-cbaf-11e9-b60e-1b0e22aef5c7.html

A lot of people want to chalk it up to the rain delay and there are a lot of things people want to chalk it up to but at the end of the day, we didn’t play well,” Marshall’s first year athletic director and head football coach Jake Griedl said. “It’s just plain and simple. There’s a bunch of keyboard warriors out there going to work. There’s a bunch of arm-chair quarterbacks going to work but at the end of the day, this staff knows what kind of team we have and this team knows what kind of staff we have. We’re going to be just fine. Everybody needs to calm down. We made a lot of mistakes last night and the good thing is those aren’t anything we can’t fix. We’ll get those mistakes fixed and we’ll just keep getting better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lord....is he the one that was typing back and forth with me in Lp/lobo thread??  Basically called me fat. Fighting words 

• LOL! 1

56 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

My God those black uniforms of Marshall's are STRAIGHT 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 Wow, I swear I wish we had an alternate black uniform with the helmet included!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, cujo2016 said:

Going with the Lobos, but expecting Marshall offense to have a better showing.

I’d be interested to hear why you think they will have a better showing against a better defense this week tbh. 

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I’d be interested to hear why you think they will have a better showing against a better defense this week tbh. 

I wasn’t at the game, and from what I read, Marshall had two fumbles inside their 25, and a couple of other mishaps. Looking for them to clean that up. Not saying the score want be  worse. It will be interesting to see how Marshall head coach get them to respond after his feelings got the best of him doing a disappointing loss, or shall I say showing. JMO

• Like 1