Week 2: Gilmer vs Van

BIGTEX1972

To be perfectly honest, Van "should've" beaten us last year.  I don't know if Van has improved, are about the same, or a little less than what they were last year.  I do know that the Buckeyes are better than last season on both sides of the ball.  Our secondary will certainly be tested in this one.  There was one blown assignment in our secondary that I saw all game.  There were two other times where the receivers were open when the ball was thrown, but our DB made up a lot of ground and timed it just right to jar the ball loose.  Of course, Atlanta is not as efficient in the passing game as Van.  I look for Van to try and get off quick passes to offset the pressure of our D-line.  This game should be a good one, in my opinion.  I give a slight edge to the Buckeyes for the win, but wouldn't be surprised either way.  A blowout would most certainly surprise me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Never said they wasn’t but ur acting like they are a juggernaut. I have seen their film they aren’t as good as last yr in my opinion 

Van is top 15 4A D1 team and with one or two wins could be a top 10 team. I would plan on a close game or your second half won’t be very enjoyable from the stress levels.  This one is a 6 point game either way.  Will likely come down to the last possession.  Van will kick the FG this year!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Minevan88 said:

I was hoping for some cooler weather, but the forecast has Friday around 100 for the high. If both teams stay hydrated it will be a good game.

That ain't no joke. Conditioning and hydration will be a factor in this weeks game.

6 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

The starting defense only gave up 13 points Atlanta had a kickoff return and a late Td against backups so I don’t know what game u were at 

I was at the game where ATL fumbled twice inside the 10 and we gave up 250 yards rushing. We have plenty of room for improvement. That's all I'm saying. Atlanta was not that impressive.

21 hours ago, Vandalman said:

Half a bottle of salt tablets will take care of that....oh wait,  that was the 70's lol.

break off half that Grand Saline Salt Palace as you come by and strap it to the bus...have it on the sideline for team licking...should keep everybody cramp free. <-- uh salt is a natural sanitizer right, yuck...team licking

• LOL! 1

2 minutes ago, tigernationfan said:

yes honest side of me says they will, but i was just picking at my Gilmer Friends lol 

They were really fun to pick on a few years ago. I ALMOST hate that Traylor is gone just for that purpose... but not really :D 

Van has almost their whole team back this year.  They have a total of 29 seniors.  8 returning starters on defense and 8 returning starters on offense. I believe Van will pull this one out. Van's defense is pretty solid. The films you are watching is mostly  Vans second team defense. Their starters have hardly played this year. I believe Van will surprise everyone. I pick Van by 17.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VAN72 said:

Van has almost their whole team back this year.  They have a total of 29 seniors.  8 returning starters on defense and 8 returning starters on offense. I believe Van will pull this one out. Van's defense is pretty solid. The films you are watching is mostly  Vans second team defense. Their starters have hardly played this year. I believe Van will surprise everyone. I pick Van by 17.

Going with the Vandals then. They should have won last year. If they have that many players back they should win hands down 

5 hours ago, VAN72 said:

I believe Gilmer returns more starters than Van. Seem bigger overall, especially on Defense. Going with Buckeyes by 10.