Atlanta versus Pleasant Grove

Hawks2021

Atlanta vs Pleasant Grove  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Atlanta
    • Pleasant Grove

34 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Yeah Idk how much they'll run it. Techincally it's just a normal set with the RB at QB. They only ran it twice against GW though I think, and the actually ran legit wildcat against Gilmer a few times. 

Exactly. Gilme got gashed a couple of times on it also. Oh and Please don't kick it deep to 15! Kid has some jets!

9 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

Exactly. Gilme got gashed a couple of times on it also. Oh and Please don't kick it deep to 15! Kid has some jets!

Y'all hardly ever kick it deep. High, spinning balls juuuuuuuust far enough for your kickoff team to be at full speed where it's landing haha. Y'all's special teams is one of the funnest things to watch.

I'm not sure that 29 pts is a fair line.  PG MAY very well be a much better team than Atlanta but to base the line on what PG did last week is not realistic.  Notwithstanding the excellent effort that Atlanta had last week as well.

Atlanta has a much better big play offense than Henderson - I believe that they have more speed and can better utilize their talent better than Henderson.  I was impressed with how physical Henderson was, but I don't think they called the plays or utilized their players in a manner to maximize their outcomes.  As far as Atlanta, their ability to hit the big play is the one real weakness that PG has shown so far.  Not that PG's defense is susceptible to the big play or anything - but I don't think many teams will have 8-12 play drives on them either...

So - I'm betting Atlanta hits a couple of big plays at least.  Keeping it close changes the dynamic of the game as well and makes it less likely that one team wears out at the end.  I think Henderson did that - but that's also a big result of the great conditioning program that PG has in the offseason.

Anyway - the big plays keep it close and PG pulls away in the second half.  31-14 maybe.  But I don't think we win by 21 or more.  

3 minutes ago, Hawks2021 said:

I'm not sure that 29 pts is a fair line.  PG MAY very well be a much better team than Atlanta but to base the line on what PG did last week is not realistic.  Notwithstanding the excellent effort that Atlanta had last week as well.

Atlanta has a much better big play offense than Henderson - I believe that they have more speed and can better utilize their talent better than Henderson.  I was impressed with how physical Henderson was, but I don't think they called the plays or utilized their players in a manner to maximize their outcomes.  As far as Atlanta, their ability to hit the big play is the one real weakness that PG has shown so far.  Not that PG's defense is susceptible to the big play or anything - but I don't think many teams will have 8-12 play drives on them either...

So - I'm betting Atlanta hits a couple of big plays at least.  Keeping it close changes the dynamic of the game as well and makes it less likely that one team wears out at the end.  I think Henderson did that - but that's also a big result of the great conditioning program that PG has in the offseason.

Anyway - the big plays keep it close and PG pulls away in the second half.  31-14 maybe.  But I don't think we win by 21 or more.  

At least we can get some credit.

I feel like nobody is taking into account how physical Atlanta was last week. Gladewater is one of the most physical teams around. If anything, I felt like Atlanta was more physical. I feel like our biggest test will be in the secondary. I have no doubt PG will exploit them if able. If I remember correctly, 3/4 Gladewater TDs were through the air, and that's saying something. 

Our offense is capable of big plays, but that's because we have some home run hitters in the backfield. We don't have our big bruiser from last year, but we have a pretty good one. He wore down GW at the end of that game. 

I expect us to spend most of the night running to the opposite side of  the field as #40. That's how we had success last year, so I expect them to try it again. Our sophomore RB had a big game against PG last year. He's definitely shown improvement the first 2 games this year. 

We might surprise some people. Depends on how our boys come out and play. PG is good, but they were good last year as well. Just because they were in a "Rebuilding" year, doesn't mean they didn't have athletes. They lost a couple of good linemen and a D1 LB, but they replaced them with good athletes. Had they not run into possibly the best athlete in high school last year, they would probably looking at a 3-peat. 

58 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Atlanta did not have to deal with 2 top 5 defensive linemen in the state! Gladewater defensive line is not even close to being on the same level as PG. That offensive line for Atlanta is about to have its most formidable Test of the season. 

I know they're good. I've been watching them boys for quite some time. Followed y'all the entire way to state in 17.

But you act like we didn't play y'all last year, or the year before that. In fact, the same linemen played y'all last year. This is pretty much a rematch as far as Atlanta's O-line vs PG's D-line. 

1 hour ago, Hawknation03 said:

Atlanta did not have to deal with 2 top 5 defensive linemen in the state! Gladewater defensive line is not even close to being on the same level as PG. That offensive line for Atlanta is about to have its most formidable Test of the season. 

I know they're good. I've been watching them boys for quite some time. Followed y'all the entire way to state in 17.

But you act like we didn't play y'all last year, or the year before that. In fact, the same linemen played y'all last year. This is pretty much a rematch as far as Atlanta's O-line vs PG's D-line. 

Edit: Except for the transfer.

2 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

No sir I am sorry but Landon has moved to outside linebacker this year and 48 definitely was not there.

3 hours ago, TheHaireBeatTheTortoise said:

I’m sure y’all said that last year to GW. We will see who knows what will happen under them Friday Night Lights!

Right sir the defensive line was sure not to blame for the 5 turnovers and the 2 scoop and scores. It definitely proved anything can happen.

28 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

No sir I am sorry but Landon has moved to outside linebacker this year and 48 definitely was not there.

Yeah I said except for the transfer. You must have quoted me pretty quick because I edited it like 3 minutes after I posted it.

And Landon may be a OLB on paper, but the videos I've seen, he still plays down on the line a lot. 

5 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Yeah I said except for the transfer. You must have quoted me pretty quick because I edited it like 3 minutes after I posted it.

And Landon may be a OLB on paper, but the videos I've seen, he still plays down on the line a lot. 

He is playing more as B Backer since the Phillips kid has picked up the defensive schemes. This hybrid position allows him to get a quicker step on the tackle. 

3 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Edit: Except for the transfer.

The difference with this year's team and last year's team at this stage is confidence. Last year's team was still trying to find their identity when they played Atlanta because the 2017 PG  team had some big personalities, and that was missing early in the 2018 year. The 2018 team found that identity when they left Carthage that night. They knew they could play and beat some of the best teams. With that being said, this year's team has it now. They have the strong leadership and confidence that was missing early last year. Not taking away anything from Atlanta, because I am sure they may have the same belief.

Plus, it helps having your best player stand up on the DL to rush the QB!!