Whitehouse vs Melissa (at Emory Rains)

Texski

For the 2nd year in a row, 4A D1Melissa (1-1) takes on 5A D2 Whitehouse (1-1) at neutral site Emory Rains. Last year was a good matchup with Melissa winning 27-23. After an early 7-0 deficit the Cards took a 21-7 halftime lead, then held on for the win. I think there were a couple Whitehouse posters here last year and not sure if they or anybody else can give some info on the Cats. Thru the 1st 2 games last year they smoked Henderson & CH but this year got shut out Hendo and barely squeaked by CH so perhaps down some or those opponents just improved a bunch.

Melissa is led by Colorado commit Brendon Lewis at QB and D1 prospect Jabray Young at RB. Lewis has already thrown for 628 yards and 9 TDs thru 1st 2 games. Young has yet to play one snap this year and not sure if he will this week either. In week 2 Melissa lost to Frisco HS 48-41after leading 14-0 early and 34-30 at the half but their explosive offense was held in check the 2nd half by Frisco.

I think this will be yet another very close game decided in the 4th quarter and Melissa winning by less than 13 points. What are everybody else thoughts on the this matchup?

Young at RB is a huge part of their offensive attack.  Missing him puts all the onus on Lewis........Young is a very high-caliber RB that offsets that explosive passing attack for the Cards. Now the defenses can play against the pass much more than if Young was back there as a big threat on any play.  I'll still take Melissa in a close one this week.  Maybe Young will play this week.

Melissa won 36-14. I expected more out of Whitehouse. Their D was pretty solid but the Cats offense was not very good. I can see why Hendo shut them out. Whitehouse marched down the field on 1st drive scoring then tacking on 2 point conv. but they never scored again til 4th q on short field after muffed punt return. 2 of Melissa's top defensive players were on the sidelines the whole game and another good one went out in 2nd q and never returned. I'm not sure Whitehouse will win more than 2 more games the rest of this year.