Week 4 Gilmer @ Carthage

PantherNation2015

Winner?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Dawgs
    • Buckeyes

This poll is closed to new votes

In general, Carthage players seemed excited to play Marshall last week and uninspired tonight against Gilmer for most of the game...……..Dawg offensive line is good but looked gassed in the running game on several plays and were getting no push on those plays, and on a couple pass plays, got lazy ------ I bet that improves immensely in the next 2 weeks...……….I give Gilmer's coaches credit tonight ---- they had their team prepared very well, something that didn't look like was the case last year...……..What a great improvement the Gilmer QB play showed tonight compared to last year

Gilmer still plays hard.  Got to credit the defense for playing tough. 

Also, give credit that for the last two weeks they haven’t given up when they got down. But this is a team that still makes a ton of mistakes.

Since defense is about effort, Gilmer has played good defense. But offense is about effort and execution, and they have to get better at execution.  

Gilmer still has the athletes and the talent. They continue to win at the lower grades. Hopefully, the coaches can bear down on the kids and get them to execute better.  

I’ll be interested to see how Gilmer plays next week against Newton. In the Traylor years, Gilmer would always beat teams in smaller classifications, regardless of how good they were (go ask Daingerfield). Gilmer’s depth, execution, and speed of play would wear smaller schools out. If Gilmer wants to make a run this year, next week could be a good indication of where they’re at.

7 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

They never did quit. We needed this game to wake some people up before PG game... In PG, no less.

That’s right, Gilmer played hard and is better than people expected. Gilmer has lost to Paris and Carthage, pretty good losses if you’re going to have losses. 

This game was just what the doctor ordered for our Bulldogs. Good learning experience during the game and the coaches will have tons of examples on film to use as teaching tools. 

9 hours ago, cotton84 said:

In general, Carthage players seemed excited to play Marshall last week and uninspired tonight against Gilmer for most of the game...……..Dawg offensive line is good but looked gassed in the running game on several plays and were getting no push on those plays, and on a couple pass plays, got lazy ------ I bet that improves immensely in the next 2 weeks...……….I give Gilmer's coaches credit tonight ---- they had their team prepared very well, something that didn't look like was the case last year...……..What a great improvement the Gilmer QB play showed tonight compared to last year

Excellent observation dere Cotton. Dat right.

I didn't get to go to the game last night but listened on the Buckeye website.  We knew going in that this game was gonna be darn near impossible for the Bucks to win.  But doggone it, (no pun intended LOL) if we didn't put a little scare into some Bulldog fans.  Those on here that talk about the Buckeyes not being very disciplined are right , in that we sometimes get dumb penalties, at the most inopportune times, and hopefully we can eliminate some of that.  But you can't just take away their aggressiveness either.  

I totally disagree that our coaching staff is not a good staff. Should we fans expect coaches to be able to make up for the talent they are given to work with?   Sometimes we (the players) just seem to lack confidence.  And honestly, to a large degree, confidence should come from within (self motivation), and it should be both for yourself, and your teammates.  Some of the play against Paris, and last night from what I understand, just seemed to be from some kids, seemingly not believe in themselves enough.  That could be true, maybe not, but If that is the case, you and your team will not play up to their potential.  And yet, they played both Paris, (#4 in Division 1), and Carthage (#1 in Division 1) a hard fought game that was closer than MANY folks thought they would (including me).  I mean seriously, what in the stretch of any ones imagination did they expect us to do tonight, drum Carthage???  Gilmer's population is just about 5,000, maybe a few over.  Paris is around 25,000, Carthage is around 6,500, just based on that fact alone, (and with the knowledge of what a great coach Surratt is),,,  I would expect, Paris and Carthage to win.  There are times Buckeye fans expect way too much out of our kids.  We have one of the toughest schedules in the state in Division ll this year. Yet we've made the last two games competitive against higher classed and rated teams.  We should not make excuses, but we should not make dumb comments about our coaching staff/kids etc. either.  We played both of these teams basically without our stud running back.  What  Did Darrell Bush play last week, two plays on offense?  I don't really know how many plays he was in on against Carthage, but he was playing at about 75%, maybe less.  Just keep hoping that he is physically healthy by district. 

I'm proud of our kids for making the showings they've made in the past two weeks.  I know for a fact how hard they work, and how hard the coaching staff works and the effort they put in.  And those opponents fans who still hold grudges against Gilmer for running up the score in years past, many points we put up back then were by 2nd string kids just like Carthages 2nd string.  I do somewhat agree that we could have taken the starters out a bit earlier back then,  but that's history,,,, get over it.  And a  bunch of the teams we played back then were nothing like what we've already played this year, and those we have coming  up.  The talent we had back then was just rediculously great.  Go back and watch some of Kris Boyds highlights in 2014.  If we took players like he, his brother, and Mclane Carter,,, that needed the reps to be ready for district and post district games out, we would have had to do so by midway through the 2nd quarter to prevent it being a blowout.  I wish folks would just get over that.  Besides that, the way the Buckeyes rotated our  kids in and out on both offense and defense,  there were about  35 or more kids playing several plays even from the first kickoff, til the third quarter.  It's just part of how our teams have always played.  No, we don't have the depth of talent and haven't had for the past four years, and we have different coaches,,, not worse coaches, just different,,, and they do things a little different.  Just get over past years getting beat, and move on.  (and the problem with most of those on here who complain about that is that they are from fans of teams we didn't even play,) find something new to hate Gilmer over.  amazing how many armchair coaches, and the fans other teams that we've put up big numbers against, who still love laying in on past Buckeye teams.  Kinda comical actually!!!!  LOL

3 minutes ago, StangtilDeath said:

Watched the highlights this morning.  Doesn't really show but 1 td called back for Carthage??  Gilmer had a couple opportunities to tie or win the game . Looked to be a hell of a game.  I can't find any film on Newton but from all the hype it feels like it'll be another great game.

Yes in 1st half. Called back for holding. Also Carthage had a dropped pass in end zone wide open. I mean just dropped it. But they did get a field goal on that possession. 

3 minutes ago, StangtilDeath said:

Watched the highlights this morning.  Doesn't really show but 1 td called back for Carthage??  Gilmer had a couple opportunities to tie or win the game . Looked to be a hell of a game.  I can't find any film on Newton but from all the hype it feels like it'll be another great game.

Carthage had 1 TD called back for holding, 1 TD dropped in end zone to wide open WR (settled for FG), overthrown TD pass to wide open WR (attempted FG and it was blocked), threw INT in 5 yard line (could of been PI but they called incidental contact).  Took knee at 13 yard line with 1:45 left to end game.  Carthage left lots of points on the field.