PantherNation2015

Winner?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Dawgs
    • Buckeyes

This poll is closed to new votes

18 hours ago, AnOldBuckeye said:

I didn't get to go to the game last night but listened on the Buckeye website.  We knew going in that this game was gonna be darn near impossible for the Bucks to win.  But doggone it, (no pun intended LOL) if we didn't put a little scare into some Bulldog fans.  Those on here that talk about the Buckeyes not being very disciplined are right , in that we sometimes get dumb penalties, at the most inopportune times, and hopefully we can eliminate some of that.  But you can't just take away their aggressiveness either.  

I totally disagree that our coaching staff is not a good staff. Should we fans expect coaches to be able to make up for the talent they are given to work with?   Sometimes we (the players) just seem to lack confidence.  And honestly, to a large degree, confidence should come from within (self motivation), and it should be both for yourself, and your teammates.  Some of the play against Paris, and last night from what I understand, just seemed to be from some kids, seemingly not believe in themselves enough.  That could be true, maybe not, but If that is the case, you and your team will not play up to their potential.  And yet, they played both Paris, (#4 in Division 1), and Carthage (#1 in Division 1) a hard fought game that was closer than MANY folks thought they would (including me).  I mean seriously, what in the stretch of any ones imagination did they expect us to do tonight, drum Carthage???  Gilmer's population is just about 5,000, maybe a few over.  Paris is around 25,000, Carthage is around 6,500, just based on that fact alone, (and with the knowledge of what a great coach Surratt is),,,  I would expect, Paris and Carthage to win.  There are times Buckeye fans expect way too much out of our kids.  We have one of the toughest schedules in the state in Division ll this year. Yet we've made the last two games competitive against higher classed and rated teams.  We should not make excuses, but we should not make dumb comments about our coaching staff/kids etc. either.  We played both of these teams basically without our stud running back.  What  Did Darrell Bush play last week, two plays on offense?  I don't really know how many plays he was in on against Carthage, but he was playing at about 75%, maybe less.  Just keep hoping that he is physically healthy by district. 

I'm proud of our kids for making the showings they've made in the past two weeks.  I know for a fact how hard they work, and how hard the coaching staff works and the effort they put in.  And those opponents fans who still hold grudges against Gilmer for running up the score in years past, many points we put up back then were by 2nd string kids just like Carthages 2nd string.  I do somewhat agree that we could have taken the starters out a bit earlier back then,  but that's history,,,, get over it.  And a  bunch of the teams we played back then were nothing like what we've already played this year, and those we have coming  up.  The talent we had back then was just rediculously great.  Go back and watch some of Kris Boyds highlights in 2014.  If we took players like he, his brother, and Mclane Carter,,, that needed the reps to be ready for district and post district games out, we would have had to do so by midway through the 2nd quarter to prevent it being a blowout.  I wish folks would just get over that.  Besides that, the way the Buckeyes rotated our  kids in and out on both offense and defense,  there were about  35 or more kids playing several plays even from the first kickoff, til the third quarter.  It's just part of how our teams have always played.  No, we don't have the depth of talent and haven't had for the past four years, and we have different coaches,,, not worse coaches, just different,,, and they do things a little different.  Just get over past years getting beat, and move on.  (and the problem with most of those on here who complain about that is that they are from fans of teams we didn't even play,) find something new to hate Gilmer over.  amazing how many armchair coaches, and the fans other teams that we've put up big numbers against, who still love laying in on past Buckeye teams.  Kinda comical actually!!!!  LOL

That's gotta be about the DUMBEST thing anyone ever said on here. Carthage wasn't scared of anyone.  Epic Fail by you and Gilmer. 

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

5 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I think when the buckeyes go on their playoff run that people will look back at the close losses to the Dawgs and Paris and say "this was a big clue the bux weren't in near as bad shape as some thought."  Just my .02. Good luck the rest of the way.

If they continue the five year tradition they could be 4aD2 Champs. 

2 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

I think when the buckeyes go on their playoff run that people will look back at the close losses to the Dawgs and Paris and say "this was a big clue the bux weren't in near as bad shape as some thought."  Just my .02. Good luck the rest of the way.

This is what I was saying after Paris, gilmer was a few bad passes away from winning that game.  Who knows too what it would of been like if bush would of played.

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

The if the dropped Td pass had been caught & the hold called on the other TD not happened, my 42-21 prediction would have been nearly perfect.... Yeah, I know about Bullfrogs with wings....😬🐸

Or if gilmer scored when they were inside the 10 or when y'all intersepted the ball on the 30 at the end...

IMO........this game will prove to be a very important game in the season for both teams.  It will be one of those games where both teams benefited in the grand scheme of the season.  Gilmer's players will now realize that they can play with any team in Class 4A this season and they have a pretty salty defense.  This helps develop team chemistry which is so important to winning close games......esp. when the playoffs get here.  Carthage can take a lot from this game also......mainly realizing there is still  a lot of work for their players to do in order to minimize some of the mistakes and plenty of room to improve even more.  There is no doubt both of these teams should go deep in the playoffs this season......barring a barrage of injuries to key personnel.  Sometimes a game like this......as ugly as it seemed at the time......wasn't so ugly afterall.

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

IMO........this game will prove to be a very important game in the season for both teams.  It will be one of those games where both teams benefited in the grand scheme of the season.  Gilmer's players will now realize that they can play with any team in Class 4A this season and they have a pretty salty defense.  This helps develop team chemistry which is so important to winning close games......esp. when the playoffs get here.  Carthage can take a lot from this game also......mainly realizing there is still  a lot of work for their players to do in order to minimize some of the mistakes and plenty of room to improve even more.  There is no doubt both of these teams should go deep in the playoffs this season......barring a barrage of injuries to key personnel.  Sometimes a game like this......as ugly as it seemed at the time......wasn't so ugly afterall.

The Dawgs Definitely needed a game like this one; State Championship teams don’t Become champions unless they have faced teams that refuse to be  pushed around, as Gilmer demonstrated Friday night. 

Gilmer No Doubt came away with no amount of shame for the way their Defense played. 

Surratt, Preston & Comany now have two weeks to  get some things ironed out prior to what should be the toughest opponent they faced thus season, & I have no doubt that starts Today.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:48 AM, NightStar11 said:

That's gotta be about the DUMBEST thing anyone ever said on here. Carthage wasn't scared of anyone.  Epic Fail by you and Gilmer. 

I did not say the Carthage "team" was scared of Gilmer.  Now that would have been something dumb.  But about the dumbest thing I've seen on Smoaky since 2004 was "your" post.  You didn't get what I was saying at all.  When Gilmer got things back to a 9 point game late,,, I assure you that some backsides puckered in the stands a little bit.  If you think not, and you think I was wrong, then not only would you be saying that Carthage fans be are as arrogant as they come, and that the IQ level down there would be a bit low.  But I know that's not the case........Carthage fans I've encountered here over the years are loyal, football smart, and great fans who have always been respectful to Buckeye posters and fans...... until you showed up.  Why so defensive dude?  What would the score have to be to make anyone in Carthage worry a little bit..... down to 7, 6, 3 points?  When any Division 1 team who is rated #1 in the state in their class,   is playing a team they should by all counts beat by 40 points, is only ahead  by nine late in the game (around 4:00 mins left) and momentum has shifted to that underdog team , don't even tell me there aren't a few anxious moments in their stands.  "If" the Buckeyes, had gotten that onside kick, and driven down and scored, gotten the two extra points,,,would you have been worried then? 

Now Carthage took the ensuing kickoff and regrouped, and flew down the field, scored and took care of business,,, just as they should have.  Carthage is a great team again this year, and they did what a championship team should do, they "should have" won the game, and they did, and the little "scare" was over.  But don't be so arrogant/rediculous to misread me and tell me Carthage wasn't scared of anyone, like that's what I was saying.   I think I'll just ignore your posts in the future, I enjoy reading posts from knowledgeable folks.   

• Stinks 1

58 minutes ago, AnOldBuckeye said:

I did not say the Carthage "team" was scared of Gilmer.  Now that would have been something dumb.  But about the dumbest thing I've seen on Smoaky since 2004 was "your" post.  You didn't get what I was saying at all.  When Gilmer got things back to a 9 point game late,,, I assure you that some backsides puckered in the stands a little bit.  If you think not, and you think I was wrong, then not only would you be saying that Carthage fans be are as arrogant as they come, and that the IQ level down there would be a bit low.  But I know that's not the case........Carthage fans I've encountered here over the years are loyal, football smart, and great fans who have always been respectful to Buckeye posters and fans...... until you showed up.  Why so defensive dude?  What would the score have to be to make anyone in Carthage worry a little bit..... down to 7, 6, 3 points?  When any Division 1 team who is rated #1 in the state in their class,   is playing a team they should by all counts beat by 40 points, is only ahead  by nine late in the game (around 4:00 mins left) and momentum has shifted to that underdog team , don't even tell me there aren't a few anxious moments in their stands.  "If" the Buckeyes, had gotten that onside kick, and driven down and scored, gotten the two extra points,,,would you have been worried then? 

Now Carthage took the ensuing kickoff and regrouped, and flew down the field, scored and took care of business,,, just as they should have.  Carthage is a great team again this year, and they did what a championship team should do, they "should have" won the game, and they did, and the little "scare" was over.  But don't be so arrogant/rediculous to misread me and tell me Carthage wasn't scared of anyone, like that's what I was saying.   I think I'll just ignore your posts in the future, I enjoy reading posts from knowledgeable folks.   

Where have you been?! 

Not to beat a dead horse AOB, but it's not the major blowouts the people disliked Gilmer for. It was the unnecessary scoring in general. You can type till you're blue in the face about people needing to let it go. The thing is, people will never let it go. That's just the way it is.

I sure won't forget in 2016 when Atlanta was losing 40-28 with under 2:00 to go in the game. Gilmer is in the redzone. Out of timeouts, almost zero opportunity to even score before the game ended, and yet that does not stop Gilmer from having Poppy throw a touchdown pass on 1st down.

It's not something I'm stuck on. It's not something I'm in my feelings over. I'm not even sure I mentioned anything about it on here. But, it is a moment I will never forget. The kids were already defeated. It was just unnecessary.

That's why people have such a deep disdain feeling about Gilmer. Just things like that they never forget. You're wasting your time for telling them to let it go.

I honestly hope kids feed on it. The last time we did beat Gilmer (stone ages), that's all they heard. "Gilmer's going to win state. Gilmer is the best team in the state. Gilmer this, Gilmer that." They didn't like it. But that was a different age, different coach, different mind set. Not sure how we get back to that frame of mind. 

• Thanks 1

I can only speak for myself here but honestly I get more nervous going into a playoff run when we're undefeated than i would be had we lost a game or 2 along the way.  Yeah, we probably should've won by more,  maybe,  but that's why the games are played on the field and not paper.  Preseason i had us penciled for 2 losses:  Marshall and PG,  but another poster made a good point earlier about the state of the Bulldog program.  The 1-3 losses during the regular season that we've become accustomed to seeing just doesn't seem to be a sure bet any more.  That may be a result of having the same system in place now for over a decade and is now bearing fruit.  But I don't claim to know that for sure.

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Not to beat a dead horse AOB, but it's not the major blowouts the people disliked Gilmer for. It was the unnecessary scoring in general. You can type till you're blue in the face about people needing to let it go. The thing is, people will never let it go. That's just the way it is.

I sure won't forget in 2016 when Atlanta was losing 40-28 with under 2:00 to go in the game. Gilmer is in the redzone. Out of timeouts, almost zero opportunity to even score before the game ended, and yet that does not stop Gilmer from having Poppy throw a touchdown pass on 1st down.

It's not something I'm stuck on. It's not something I'm in my feelings over. I'm not even sure I mentioned anything about it on here. But, it is a moment I will never forget. The kids were already defeated. It was just unnecessary.

That's why people have such a deep disdain feeling about Gilmer. Just things like that they never forget. You're wasting your time for telling them to let it go.

I honestly hope kids feed on it. The last time we did beat Gilmer (stone ages), that's all they heard. "Gilmer's going to win state. Gilmer is the best team in the state. Gilmer this, Gilmer that." They didn't like it. But that was a different age, different coach, different mind set. Not sure how we get back to that frame of mind. 

I think the worst example I saw of this was the Texas High State Final against New Braunfels, The onside kick late into the game with a 40 point lead if I remember. That contributed to a lot of Texas High Fans Cars getting vandalized..

30 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

I think the worst example I saw of this was the Texas High State Final against New Braunfels, The onside kick late into the game with a 40 point lead if I remember. That contributed to a lot of Texas High Fans Cars getting vandalized..

It's just stuff like that people never forget. The first thought that comes to their mind when they hear the name. 

6 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Get over it sis! It’s out of our control! 

• LOL! 1