Winner?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Dawgs
    • Buckeyes

This poll is closed to new votes

24 minutes ago, Maineman1988 said:

Evidently you are saying it was 3 years ago. You’re stuck! 🤷‍♀️

Evidently you can't read, which isn't surprising. I remember things that happen 20 years ago, doesn't mean I'm stuck on them. Just means I haven't forgotten. 

27 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Evidently you can't read, which isn't surprising. I remember things that happen 20 years ago, doesn't mean I'm stuck on them. Just means I haven't forgotten. 

Like everyone else I remember the beatings from Gilmer. Maybe because we were so used to it that I don’t remember them just padding stats. What does help is the last three wins we have put on them. To include a shutout in their house and a drumming to knock them out of the playoffs.. well now that I think back on it it still doesn’t alleviate some of the thrashings we took from the Bucs..

20 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Where have you been?! 

Well, I haven't been on Smoaky for three years I think.  I just finally got burned out with it,,,,, and with dumb people trying to sound all bad and knowledgeable when they don't have a clue.  I came back on the other day just for something to do, (been retired and bored for a long time.)  LOL and saw the post from this other dude, and it just fueled my fire.  many folks on Smoaky enjoy getting on here and making posts they don't know are true, just wanna be a dumb butt, and sound important.  Especially when they badmouth a coach or team, or talk about Gilmer,,,,,,,,,, and l'm a "BIG",,,,,,, Born In Gilmer.  Not a ton of us left,,, LOL  So when I hear some young punk spouting off about stuff they shouldn't,,  I'm not gonna let them get away with it, without giving them a bit of Old Buckeye tongue lashing.  LOL,,,,  I  know it don't matter, and they don't pay me much attention, but I get it blown off my chest,,,, Kinda like I do when I hear a Democrat say anything.  LOL

I don't get on here, to be ugly to anyone, I try to be honest and truthful and informative.  I know not many on here care about what they say even,,  if it hurts to someone else to hear it.  Yep, I'm a homer, I get that,,,,,, don't apologize to anyone about it, and neither should anyone else whose a homer.  we should all be proud of our teams.  As for the running up the score item,,, there are those on here who just don't want to give the Buckeyes of the first 16 years of this century any props.  Some didn't like us when we weren't winning, some didn't like us piling on the score after we became one of the best teams of that decade.  I know there are some things Jeff Traylor did that I wish he had done differently, but they don't pay me to coach, and those are his decisions not my monkey, not my circus, and I admit we scored a lot of points on folks.  But,,,, and I am being as totally honest as I know how to be.  I don't think JT intentionally felt he had to do that, There were teams like the '04, the '09 team, and the '14 team that were just so gifted athletically, and it wasn't just 1 - 22,,, we would be strong through probably 35 kids.  We never took any B team kids to the Friday night game, except in the playoffs.  And it was our coaches way of playing all those 35 kids, as long as they needed the repetitions to be as ready for the playoffs as they could be.  That tended to make some of the games pretty onesided.  I suppose a lot of the fans who took that personally never understood the fact that you have to let  your starters get a specific number of reps, during the district games in order for them to be as flawless as possible when the competitions ramps up.  And I can't even tell you how many games we were up by 4 TD's by the end of the first quarter, or were scoring on an average of 4 or 5 plays on offense,,, some by 1-3 plays.    

It's hard for anyone to watch their team get stomped. I know that's true,  We've been on the other end of things.  From 1967, when I graduated, until we started the long run that happened from 2003 until probably around 2016, we got routinely stomped every year but two or three seasons. Heck I remember the drumming Curtis Burns and your Atlanta Rabbits gave us in 2003.  Ya'll were just a much better, and athletic team.  But that loss,,, and the way your to RB's ran the ball down our throats,,, well, it hurt,  and I haven't forgotten that game either.  LOL  That was a total butt whoopin'.  LOL  I don't think JT wanted to embarrass other teams,,,  but his season started after the last of the ten regular season games, and he wanted our kids to be ready.  We were so dominant most of those seasons, that he had to work hard to keep his rotational starters sharp.  I'm not bragging, just stating the truth.  

We won 3 State Championships from 2000 - 2016,  and I realize that's a great accomplishment.  But we also had seasons in there where we had really good teams but ran up against teams like Liberty Hill, who embarassed us,,,,,, Argyle, who hurt us three times during those years,,,, Liberty Eylau hurt us in Longview in 2006 I think it was,,, GJ Kinney and Canton hurt us in 2005  I think it was, and that game was pretty much a rout.  As good as we were for the first 16 seasons of this century, we had several seasons where we got knocked out of the playoffs, by better teams.  yep, we had 3 seasons out of 16, where we were the big cheese, but we had 13 seasons where we had to make long drives home after painful experiences at the hands of other teams.  So we know more about losing big games, than we do about winning them.  And yes, it hurts every time that happens. 

Ok, I've drug this on longer than intended, and probably said more than I should have,,, but both Atlanta and Gilmer have a 2-2 record so far.  I don't know about the Rabs, but the Buckeyes pre district this season has been pretty brutal, and we still have to play Newton, who kicked our behinds last year.  Hopefully both our teams can get it together, and make a strong run from here on out.  Good luck to the Rabbits, I wish ya'll all the success you can get.  

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

26 minutes ago, AnOldBuckeye said:

Well, I haven't been on Smoaky for three years I think.  I just finally got burned out with it,,,,, and with dumb people trying to sound all bad and knowledgeable when they don't have a clue.  I came back on the other day just for something to do, (been retired and bored for a long time.)  LOL and saw the post from this other dude, and it just fueled my fire.  many folks on Smoaky enjoy getting on here and making posts they don't know are true, just wanna be a dumb butt, and sound important.  Especially when they badmouth a coach or team, or talk about Gilmer,,,,,,,,,, and l'm a "BIG",,,,,,, Born In Gilmer.  Not a ton of us left,,, LOL  So when I hear some young punk spouting off about stuff they shouldn't,,  I'm not gonna let them get away with it, without giving them a bit of Old Buckeye tongue lashing.  LOL,,,,  I  know it don't matter, and they don't pay me much attention, but I get it blown off my chest,,,, Kinda like I do when I hear a Democrat say anything.  LOL

I don't get on here, to be ugly to anyone, I try to be honest and truthful and informative.  I know not many on here care about what they say even,,  if it hurts to someone else to hear it.  Yep, I'm a homer, I get that,,,,,, don't apologize to anyone about it, and neither should anyone else whose a homer.  we should all be proud of our teams.  As for the running up the score item,,, there are those on here who just don't want to give the Buckeyes of the first 16 years of this century any props.  Some didn't like us when we weren't winning, some didn't like us piling on the score after we became one of the best teams of that decade.  I know there are some things Jeff Traylor did that I wish he had done differently, but they don't pay me to coach, and those are his decisions not my monkey, not my circus, and I admit we scored a lot of points on folks.  But,,,, and I am being as totally honest as I know how to be.  I don't think JT intentionally felt he had to do that, There were teams like the '04, the '09 team, and the '14 team that were just so gifted athletically, and it wasn't just 1 - 22,,, we would be strong through probably 35 kids.  We never took any B team kids to the Friday night game, except in the playoffs.  And it was our coaches way of playing all those 35 kids, as long as they needed the repetitions to be as ready for the playoffs as they could be.  That tended to make some of the games pretty onesided.  I suppose a lot of the fans who took that personally never understood the fact that you have to let  your starters get a specific number of reps, during the district games in order for them to be as flawless as possible when the competitions ramps up.  And I can't even tell you how many games we were up by 4 TD's by the end of the first quarter, or were scoring on an average of 4 or 5 plays on offense,,, some by 1-3 plays.    

It's hard for anyone to watch their team get stomped. I know that's true,  We've been on the other end of things.  From 1967, when I graduated, until we started the long run that happened from 2003 until probably around 2016, we got routinely stomped every year but two or three seasons. Heck I remember the drumming Curtis Burns and your Atlanta Rabbits gave us in 2003.  Ya'll were just a much better, and athletic team.  But that loss,,, and the way your to RB's ran the ball down our throats,,, well, it hurt,  and I haven't forgotten that game either.  LOL  That was a total butt whoopin'.  LOL  I don't think JT wanted to embarrass other teams,,,  but his season started after the last of the ten regular season games, and he wanted our kids to be ready.  We were so dominant most of those seasons, that he had to work hard to keep his rotational starters sharp.  I'm not bragging, just stating the truth.  

We won 3 State Championships from 2000 - 2016,  and I realize that's a great accomplishment.  But we also had seasons in there where we had really good teams but ran up against teams like Liberty Hill, who embarassed us,,,,,, Argyle, who hurt us three times during those years,,,, Liberty Eylau hurt us in Longview in 2006 I think it was,,, GJ Kinney and Canton hurt us in 2005  I think it was, and that game was pretty much a rout.  As good as we were for the first 16 seasons of this century, we had several seasons where we got knocked out of the playoffs, by better teams.  yep, we had 3 seasons out of 16, where we were the big cheese, but we had 13 seasons where we had to make long drives home after painful experiences at the hands of other teams.  So we know more about losing big games, than we do about winning them.  And yes, it hurts every time that happens. 

Ok, I've drug this on longer than intended, and probably said more than I should have,,, but both Atlanta and Gilmer have a 2-2 record so far.  I don't know about the Rabs, but the Buckeyes pre district this season has been pretty brutal, and we still have to play Newton, who kicked our behinds last year.  Hopefully both our teams can get it together, and make a strong run from here on out.  Good luck to the Rabbits, I wish ya'll all the success you can get.  

Words of Wisdom from the Sage... Good post, old Buckeye!👌

21 minutes ago, AnOldBuckeye said:

03 was the last win we had over the Buckeyes too. I was there for that game. I was only 12 though haha. 

That Navasota loss was no joke. 

We've had a pretty salty pre-district, for a 3A anyways. Gilmer, Gladewater, P-G, L-E. Now, we get to take all our frustrations out on poor little ole Redwater. 

On 9/25/2019 at 12:24 PM, AnOldBuckeye said:

I did not say the Carthage "team" was scared of Gilmer.  Now that would have been something dumb.  But about the dumbest thing I've seen on Smoaky since 2004 was "your" post.  You didn't get what I was saying at all.  When Gilmer got things back to a 9 point game late,,, I assure you that some backsides puckered in the stands a little bit.  If you think not, and you think I was wrong, then not only would you be saying that Carthage fans be are as arrogant as they come, and that the IQ level down there would be a bit low.  But I know that's not the case........Carthage fans I've encountered here over the years are loyal, football smart, and great fans who have always been respectful to Buckeye posters and fans...... until you showed up.  Why so defensive dude?  What would the score have to be to make anyone in Carthage worry a little bit..... down to 7, 6, 3 points?  When any Division 1 team who is rated #1 in the state in their class,   is playing a team they should by all counts beat by 40 points, is only ahead  by nine late in the game (around 4:00 mins left) and momentum has shifted to that underdog team , don't even tell me there aren't a few anxious moments in their stands.  "If" the Buckeyes, had gotten that onside kick, and driven down and scored, gotten the two extra points,,,would you have been worried then? 

Now Carthage took the ensuing kickoff and regrouped, and flew down the field, scored and took care of business,,, just as they should have.  Carthage is a great team again this year, and they did what a championship team should do, they "should have" won the game, and they did, and the little "scare" was over.  But don't be so arrogant/rediculous to misread me and tell me Carthage wasn't scared of anyone, like that's what I was saying.   I think I'll just ignore your posts in the future, I enjoy reading posts from knowledgeable folks.   

Yeah you said Carthage was scared of Gilmer.  Actually I like both those teams so it's a tough game for me to always watch but Carthage will never be scared of Gilmer so long as Surratt is coach.  And it's obvious Gilmer coaches pretty much spent the whole months of August and September focusing ONLY on Carthage which may explain their less than usual quality play in their first few games. 

2 hours ago, AnOldBuckeye said:

Missed seeing you on. Buckeyes could've used a Tinkers Dang Hex or two while you were out...

31 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

Yeah you said Carthage was scared of Gilmer.  Actually I like both those teams so it's a tough game for me to always watch but Carthage will never be scared of Gilmer so long as Surratt is coach.  And it's obvious Gilmer coaches pretty much spent the whole months of August and September focusing ONLY on Carthage which may explain their less than usual quality play in their first few games. 

I didn't get to go to the game last night but listened on the Buckeye website.  We knew going in that this game was gonna be darn near impossible for the Bucks to win.  But doggone it, (no pun intended LOL) if we didn't put a little scare into some Bulldog fans.  Those on here that talk about the Buckeyes not being very disciplined are right , in that we sometimes get dumb penalties, at the most inopportune times, and hopefully we can eliminate some of that.  But you can't just take away their aggressiveness either. 

Reading Comprehension: C-

Putting a scare into some is not saying "Carthage" was scared.

You inferred more than was there. 

7 hours ago, futfan said:

I didn't get to go to the game last night but listened on the Buckeye website.  We knew going in that this game was gonna be darn near impossible for the Bucks to win.  But doggone it, (no pun intended LOL) if we didn't put a little scare into some Bulldog fans.  Those on here that talk about the Buckeyes not being very disciplined are right , in that we sometimes get dumb penalties, at the most inopportune times, and hopefully we can eliminate some of that.  But you can't just take away their aggressiveness either. 

You just quoted that dude saying Carthage was scared. Look next time. 

• Stinks 2

7 hours ago, futfan said:

Let's get it futfan! I could get used to this grading stuff!

17 hours ago, NightStar11 said:

You just quoted that dude saying Carthage was scared. Look next time. 

You still can't read. He said they "P U T a Scare " into some fans. 

Lemme break it down.

Being scared means an inherent fear that exists, and is present, regardless of the situation.

Putting a scare into someone means they are very alarmed or worried about a situation.

Subtle context that you imply too much from, putting your words into someone else's mouth.

Read exactly what he said. He never used your words.

Taking the exam a second time, and using the answers you got wrong again:

D+

• LOL! 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, futfan said:

Lemme break it down.

Being scared means an inherent fear that exists, and is present, regardless of the situation.

Putting a scare into someone means they are very alarmed or worried about a situation.

Subtle context that you imply too much from, putting your words into someone else's mouth.

D+

No you are the one who's wrong. Gilmer didn't put ANY scare into Carthage at all. And they never will. Haha. Futfan and these Gilmer fans are bitter after they got whooped by Carthage. Now, I will say Carthage made Gilmer very scared. And that's that. 

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 2

3 hours ago, futfan said:

Lemme break it down.

D+

Put it in a bubble and let it go hun 

• Thumbs Down 3

On 9/25/2019 at 1:47 PM, H3llR4z0r said:

Not to beat a dead horse AOB, but it's not the major blowouts the people disliked Gilmer for. It was the unnecessary scoring in general. You can type till you're blue in the face about people needing to let it go. The thing is, people will never let it go. That's just the way it is.

I sure won't forget in 2016 when Atlanta was losing 40-28 with under 2:00 to go in the game. Gilmer is in the redzone. Out of timeouts, almost zero opportunity to even score before the game ended, and yet that does not stop Gilmer from having Poppy throw a touchdown pass on 1st down.

It's not something I'm stuck on. It's not something I'm in my feelings over. I'm not even sure I mentioned anything about it on here. But, it is a moment I will never forget. The kids were already defeated. It was just unnecessary.

That's why people have such a deep disdain feeling about Gilmer. Just things like that they never forget. You're wasting your time for telling them to let it go.

I honestly hope kids feed on it. The last time we did beat Gilmer (stone ages), that's all they heard. "Gilmer's going to win state. Gilmer is the best team in the state. Gilmer this, Gilmer that." They didn't like it. But that was a different age, different coach, different mind set. Not sure how we get back to that frame of mind. 

OldBuckeye argues with everyone on here, especially after Gilmer gets a spankin'.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, NightStar11 said:

No you are the one who's wrong. Gilmer didn't put ANY scare into Carthage at all. And they never will. Haha. Futfan and these Gilmer fans are bitter after they got whooped by Carthage. Now, I will say Carthage made Gilmer very scared. And that's that. 

Another reading comprehension fail. I did not say it. Old Buckeye did.  And saying he argues with everyone on here is funny, 'cause he's been off for three years.

And although I am a Hawk fan, I know that I am not bitter. If We had not fumbled on the last drive last year, we probably would have kicked the FG to win IN CARTHAGE.

Hardley "got whooped". 

Let's just see how this year works out. I think this is our best chance yet.