Matt Stepp confirmed DEC Meeting (District 7-3A D1) on Mount Vernon...

Smoaky

4 minutes ago, Racer55 said:

What I want to know is, are they related to Lynx Hawthorne? What does he have to do with this? I see his wife is a teacher at a school in Colorado and looks to know the brothers.

Considering I see him posting on Twitter about Mt. Vernon's practices, I bet there's a real close connection. 

3 minutes ago, Racer55 said:

What I want to know is, are they related to Lynx Hawthorne? What does he have to do with this? I see his wife is a teacher at a school in Colorado and looks to know the brothers.

From what I gather he is the unlisted coach who was supposedly making a documentary but in reality was coaching the kids...I think...

In regards to the ineligibility of the two players, I think most people are missing the bigger picture.  This is a dangerous precedent that this DEC has just set.  Let's say, hypothetically, of course, your team has a move-in or transfer player that was approved by the DEC.  He plays 3 or 4 games, and then a school in the district files a complaint about said player and a hearing is held and said player is again ruled eligible.  A few weeks go by, and your team has won more games with said player, and then another complaint is filed by either that same team or another team in the district for reasons they would probably never admit to,  and this time, your player is ruled ineligible.  So. based on the comments I have been reading here,  most of y'all would have no problem with your team forfeiting your wins with a player who was only playing after being ruled eligible twice, AND you would blame your coach for playing the player.  I truly doubt that you would be okay with it, but I have to assume you would be since most of you seem to think that multiple hearings with different rulings is okay.  This precedent of eligible, eligible, no, wait ineligible just invites schools with a vendetta to file complaints over and over again until they get the ruling they want.  It may be all fun and games to you now because you think you have eliminated a district threat, but I highly doubt it will be as much fun when the shoe is on the other foot.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, sportsfan4life said:

In regards to the ineligibility of the two players, I think most people are missing the bigger picture.  This is a dangerous precedent that this DEC has just set.  Let's say, hypothetically, of course, your team has a move-in or transfer player that was approved by the DEC.  He plays 3 or 4 games, and then a school in the district files a complaint about said player and a hearing is held and said player is again ruled eligible.  A few weeks go by, and your team has won more games with said player, and then another complaint is filed by either that same team or another team in the district for reasons they would probably never admit to,  and this time, your player is ruled ineligible.  So. based on the comments I have been reading here,  most of y'all would have no problem with your team forfeiting your wins with a player who was only playing after being ruled eligible twice, AND you would blame your coach for playing the player.  I truly doubt that you would be okay with it, but I have to assume you would be since most of you seem to think that multiple hearings with different rulings is okay.  This precedent of eligible, eligible, no, wait ineligible just invites schools with a vendetta to file complaints over and over again until they get the ruling you want.  It may be all fun and games to you now because you think you have eliminated a district threat, but I highly doubt it will be as much fun when the shoe is on the other foot.

It's not "setting a precedent"...it has happened before. If ALL the information had been presented the first time I bet the DEC would not have ruled the way they did. THAT is the reason for the multiple rulings.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

Just now, TEXAShorn21 said:

That's crazy.  You would think ruling them eligible would only happen once. So, how many times can a team or person make a complaint? 

The ONLY reason that they would have another hearing on the matter would be if the original information was not factual or some important information was omitted.

• Thanks 1

The players eligibility is not all that's in question here. There's also the problem with the coach/photographer/whatever  you want to refer to him as. But as stated before, in the original DEC meeting, only 3 districts voted, the other 3 abstained.

That being said, 2 different schools in the district have brought forth information, to my understanding. Either A. The information brought forth this particular time was a lot more influential that the information brought forth the last time or B. There's been some persuading going on. I'm not sure. I don't think it has anything to do with Mt. Vernon "winning," as they were winning the first time it was talked about. 

Who knows though. If I was a betting man, I'd say the kids get reinstated.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

The players eligibility is not all that's in question here. There's also the problem with the coach/photographer/whatever  you want to refer to him as. But as stated before, in the original DEC meeting, only 3 districts voted, the other 3 abstained.

That being said, 2 different schools in the district have brought forth information, to my understanding. Either A. The information brought forth this particular time was a lot more influential that the information brought forth the last time or B. There's been some persuading going on. I'm not sure. I don't think it has anything to do with Mt. Vernon "winning," as they were winning the first time it was talked about. 

Who knows though. If I was a betting man, I'd say the kids get 

If the kids by chance get reinstated. What do you think they would rule on the photagrapher/coach? 

Just now, TEXAShorn21 said:

If the kids by chance get reinstated. What do you think they would rule on the photagrapher/coach? 

I don't see how they can allow that. That's definitely an uh oh, in my opinion. Especially if they have concrete proof that he's been coaching (which I'm sure they do if it's been brought up). I'm just not sure what the repercussions would be for that happening?

I wonder if Mt. Vernon is feeling like it's worth it at this point? Serious question. 

• Like 1

Yep still worth it.  Cant answer anything about the coach/photographer thing but, uil deemed those 2 students eligible not only once but twice.  The first time was in july when they first moved to mv and the second time a couple weeks ago when they had the formal complaint.  I just wonder if this happens again come baseball season as the kids are just as good at that sport as they are football. 

2 minutes ago, Purpletigerfan said:

Yep still worth it.  Cant answer anything about the coach/photographer thing but, uil deemed those 2 students eligible not only once but twice.  The first time was in july when they first moved to mv and the second time a couple weeks ago when they had the formal complaint.  I just wonder if this happens again come baseball season as the kids are just as good at that sport as they are football. 

Should we be looking for y'all to hire Joe Maddon or?

10 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I don't see how they can allow that. That's definitely an uh oh, in my opinion. Especially if they have concrete proof that he's been coaching (which I'm sure they do if it's been brought up). I'm just not sure what the repercussions would be for that happening?

I wonder if Mt. Vernon is feeling like it's worth it at this point? Serious question. 

I'm guessing they are going to fight it. I can't see them just letting this ride. I would like to know the repercussions too. One things for sure.  They wouldn't overturn it unless they had some solid/strong evidence. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Who knows though. If I was a betting man, I'd say the kids get reinstated.  

Maybe it wasn't "influential ", maybe it was damning evidence? Idk either. Would have to assume 6 educated people fairly familiar with UIL policy are not complete idiots. Who knows.....