Newton @ Gilmer

Purpleforever

Newton@Gilmer who you got  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/28/2019 at 12:30 AM

26 minutes ago, StangtilDeath said:

Just curious how many y'all have suited out on game night?

Newton has 28.   I think if no-one is hurt or sick. 2 weeks ago, I believe it was 24 suited up. Come play-off time some good j.v. players will probably move up.

10 minutes ago, jimmyw said:

Newton has 28.   I think if no-one is hurt or sick. 2 weeks ago, I believe it was 24 suited up. Come play-off time some good j.v. players will probably move up.

10-4, Hughes springs had 351 and went d1 and we suit out about the same 26-28.  Do you think y'all will move up this year?

1 hour ago, jimmyw said:

There's alot of 4A-D2 teams that don't play many more than 25 to 30 players......even if there are more that are suited up each game and on the sideline.  If 90% of Newton's 25 players are better than 75% of a 4A team's 40 players on the roster.......then the number of players on the roster doesn't really matter, does it!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

There's alot of 4A-D2 teams that don't play many more than 25 to 30 players......even if there are more that are suited up each game and on the sideline.  If 90% of Newton's 25 players are better than 75% of a 4A team's 40 players on the roster.......then the number of players on the roster doesn't really matter, does it!!!

Let's be even more realistic.  If Newton's 10 best players are better than a 4A team's 10 best players......then what about them apples, Huh?

15 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Let's be even more realistic.  If Newton's 10 best players are better than a 4A team's 10 best players......what about them apples, Huh?

Thats what i said if my 11on the field are better than your 11 thats all that matters it doesn't matter how many you have on the sideline 

2 minutes ago, Newton2003 said:

Thats what i said if my 11on the field are better than your 11 thats all that matters it doesn't matter how many you have on the sideline 

That's very true......but it usually doesn't work out that way when you go up the ladder to play a bigger 4A school that is also a good program like Gilmer has.  Their depth on both sides of the ball will probably have to be factored in moreso than another lesser 4A program or any other good 3A program.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

That's very true......but it usually doesn't work out that way when you go up the ladder to play a bigger 4A school that is also a good program like Gilmer has.  Their depth on both sides of the ball will probably have to be factored in moreso than another lesser 4A program or any other good 3A program.  

Newton did overcome this situation against a very good bigger 4A program in W-OS this season, but that game was very close and maybe could have gone either way depending on a few plays here and there.  I didn't see the game, but read about it.

We will need a little luck in this game, to come away with the win. This game will not be like last years game. It will be closer. I haven’t seen y’all play, but y’all seem to be a better team. I can only guarantee one thing. All of the talk in the world will not change the outcome of this game. Two good opponents stepping onto the field. One of them has to lose.

• Like 3

Well from what i seen Friday we should win the game if we play like we been playing no mistakes to keep them in it i think thats the difference from last year's Carthage Gilmer game they didnt make the mistakes they made last year early in the game so they were able to hang around we have to score a lot in the first half cause if not its going to be a tough second half trying to hold them off

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

It matters if they start having injuries. Especially if they have a bunch of 2 way players. You could lose 2 guys to injuries and it would be 4 starters. 

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

It matters if they start having injuries. Especially if they have a bunch of 2 way players. You could lose 2 guys to injuries and it would be 4 starters. 

6 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Newton did overcome this situation against a very good bigger 4A program in W-OS this season, but that game was very close and maybe could have gone either way depending on a few plays here and there.  I didn't see the game, but read about it.

Almost all close games comes down to one or two plays, or even a penalty 

So I guess we can conclude that this game between Newton and Gilmer in all likely probability SHOULD be a tightly contested game just like the Newton/WOS game was.  So maybe there is no real favorite in this matchup.......just whichever team benefits the most from penalties, field position, and turnovers.  Big Plays......that's one thing you can't put a number to.......how many big plays will either team get against the other that results in a score that may not have happened otherwise.

5 hours ago, Maineman1988 said:

The poll tells ya differently! 

Well those polls are by a bunch of Amateurs.  Not sure what poll you're specifically talking about. But if Newton beats any, and I mean any 2A team, it's not and upset. But if any 2A team beats Newton or Canadian that would be and upset or it should be. I'm not going to brag about beating the #1 2A team if I'm a 3A team. Particularly if I'm a top 5 3A team. If I don't beat them I might want to reevaluate my program. Or I might say, what are these guys doing right. I might want to emulate their program.  Everyone who isn't winning should probably say that. Unless losing is acceptable to to them. Everyone can't win unfortunately,  but they should be able to compete. But as for as lets say, Newto suits up 35 player's and it's 4A opponent suits up 35 players. Well the 4 A team has a lot bigger student body to pull great athletes from. With good coaching and a good fan base and a winning tradition,  it almost makes it a sure thing that the 4A team will have better athletes.  Maybe not the best athlete,  or even the 2 best athletes.  But odds are, they will. But, the odds much better that they will have a lot more good athletes than the smaller school. Thusly, they should not be and underdog, or it being and upset if Newton loses. No matter who wins this game darn good teams are taking the field, with both teams having excellent programs and I have nothing negative to say about Gilmer. This game can go either way IMO. I don't really like to hear either teams fans talking a lot of smack.

22 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

If Newton were just hanging with these top 10 4AD2 schools that’s be awesome. The fact that they are winning is mind boggling. They’re playoff ready before district starts. Would love to see 3AD1 champ square off with Newton to see who the lone 3A champ would be. 

Oh they are good, no doubt about that at all.  Just watching them play their style of football is exciting to see.  Can you imagine what kind of team they would have if they had the enrollment numbers that a 4A team has???  I'm very impressed with their program and their overall team chemistry.......even from their best athletes. It's a real pleasure to see this team give it all they have.

36 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

If Newton were just hanging with these top 10 4AD2 schools that’s be awesome. The fact that they are winning is mind boggling. They’re playoff ready before district starts. Would love to see 3AD1 champ square off with Newton to see who the lone 3A champ would be. 

Bout time you show up lol

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I’m a fan. Wasn’t a fan while receiving that ### whooping last year. Was a fan from the get go when we walked out on the field expecting arrogant players but instead met some of the most humble young men I’ve ever talked to. Didn’t really know much about Newton, then learned about Coach Johnston’s health battles and his relationship with Barlow. It’s like a Lifetime Channel episode. I really respect yalls program. 

NB y'all keep playing like y'all are and we may have to hand over the crown!