Liberty Eylau(0-4) vs Argyle(3-0) in Sulphur Springs Week 5

regaleagle

Argyle is coming off their bye week and Liberty Eylau needs a bye week after a fairly tough first 4 games.  But they don't get a break this week playing Argyle.  From what I hear, LE is very athletic, but has been making too many self-inflicted mistakes so far.  Argyle is all about execution......not particularly blessed with great athletes, but  alot of disciplined well-coached good athletes.  I guess if there ever was a "trap game" for a team like Argyle(highly ranked), then this game with LE would be it, Huh?  I thought maybe the game against CHill might be a trap game......but their receivers couldn't make the catches and their best player Khalan Griffin(RB and half the offense) showed up on crutches.  I really don't know how to rate LE......except dangerous.

Head Coach and Puppetmaster Thompson brings Offensive Coordinator Wright and Defensive Coordinator Fry along with Howdy Doody Klint to the land of Dairy Cows for what’s sure to be a full blown slobber-knocker with the kilt clad Eagles from Denton county. Maybe King breaks out his old Sulphur Springs letterman jacket for good luck.  Speaking of good....... the defense improved by a whopping 21 points only giving up 41 to the only 3A on their schedule.  At least the new regime has installed a touch of class back to the program.  Character and discipline have been mainstays this year........oh wait. 

Prediction:  LEISD Suburban gets plenty of admin mileage added once again this week!  #Defense:ItStartsHere

50A76F77-BE49-4C87-81E7-8BD22797A612.png

By the numbers.....Argyle has been averaging 550 total yds offensively against their schedule so far and scoring 51 pts/game while allowing right at 19/game.  Don't have any offensive stats on LE, but they have been averaging about 21 pts/game scored while giving up 47.5 pts/game against their schedule so far this season.  Their schedule has been quite formidable for any team in 4A:  Arkansas high, Carthage, Texas high, and Atlanta last week.  Argyle has played Stephenville, La Vega, and Chapel Hill this season.  

The driving distance to Sulphur Springs from Texarkana is right at 100 miles and should take about 1.5 hrs to get there.  From Argyle the driving distance to Sulphur Springs is over 120 miles, but will take 2 hrs. to get there.  I wonder how many fans supporting each school will show up for this game.  Probably some locals will attend the game since Sulphur Springs will have an away game Friday night against Forney.  The stadium(Gerald Prim Stadium) looks to be a very nice facility according to Texas Bob's Stadiums.......capacity at about 6,000.  Sulphur Springs has a population over 16,000 now according to the 2017 Census. 

These two teams played in the same stadium last year on 9/28 with Argyle winning 69-13......it wasn't pretty.  But in the 2 previous meetings the games were very close.  On 12/05/14, these teams met in the 4th Round of the playoffs in Royce City with Argyle edging out LE 45-42.  Then in the very next year these teams met again on 12/04/15 in Texas Stadium in Round 4 of the playoffs and Argyle won a close one again 32-29.  So that's the history of Argyle vs Liberty Eylau in football so far.  

So now I learn that last week against Atlanta LE was losing 38-13 with 18 min. left in the game, but scored 25 unanswered points to tie it up late in the 4th.  Then Atlanta's soph. kicker boots a game-winning 42 yd field goal as time expires for the win.  Looks like LE will be coming into the game this week with some confidence even though they did suffer a loss last week. I'm sure their coaching staff feels they made some positive strides to get ready for district play now......maybe they will give Argyle a very tough game like in the past(except for last season).

4 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Somebody needs to find the former coach and RKO him for putting together this schedule for LE. 

CD6AEF54-EC5D-4E9F-88E3-80D07F0590A1.gif

Coach Wells didn't have a lot of choice with his schedule. Most of the teams in Northeast Texas are 3A schools and all but Atlanta refuse to play L-E. Most of the 4A schools around Longview and Tyler won't play L-E. All of this because of their success the last 20 years. L-E is down and might finish 2-8 this year and make the playoffs and win one or two playoff games. Give Coach King three or four years and L-E will be back up there with Carthage and the likes. Keep in mind L-E was 3-7 last year and won a playoff game. I contend they're better than half the 4A schools in the state now, but their record won't indicate that.

46 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

These two teams played in the same stadium last year on 9/28 with Argyle winning 69-13......it wasn't pretty.  But in the 2 previous meetings the games were very close.  On 12/05/14, these teams met in the 4th Round of the playoffs in Royce City with Argyle edging out LE 45-42.  Then in the very next year these teams met again on 12/04/15 in Texas Stadium in Round 4 of the playoffs and Argyle won a close one again 32-29.  So that's the history of Argyle vs Liberty Eylau in football so far.  

L-E has forgotten Argyle throwing a touchdown pass at the end of last year's game with nearly a 60-point lead. Most coaches would have taken a knee, but not Argyle.

25 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

So now I learn that last week against Atlanta LE was losing 38-13 with 18 min. left in the game, but scored 25 unanswered points to tie it up late in the 4th.  Then Atlanta's soph. kicker boots a game-winning 42 yd field goal as time expires for the win.  Looks like LE will be coming into the game this week with some confidence even though they did suffer a loss last week. I'm sure their coaching staff feels they made some positive strides to get ready for district play now......maybe they will give Argyle a very tough game like in the past(except for last season).

It's not a good matchup for L-E, but the score will be settled one day in the future. 

19 minutes ago, 68Hornet said:

L-E has forgotten Argyle throwing a touchdown pass at the end of last year's game with nearly a 60-point lead. Most coaches would have taken a knee, but not Argyle.

Most likely the backups in there.......didn't go to that game so don't know the particulars, but doesn't sound right to me either. If they could have taken a knee(which Argyle does all the time), it must have happened with very little time left in the game.  I'm sure Coach Rodgers wasn't too happy with the OC for that kind of stuff......not good for anybody.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:30 AM, ETxFB299 said:

Is LE just low on talent right now?  How are the 9th/JV teams ?

Talent is still there!  8th grade is looking really good!  The 9th grade is decent. They have lost a few (switching schools ). So, they are revamping. JV is solid quite a few of the sophmores play varsity.. But the lineman for JV are BIG and look good.  They could possibly do damage next year... 

On 9/24/2019 at 1:38 AM, regaleagle said:

Most likely the backups in there.......didn't go to that game so don't know the particulars, but doesn't sound right to me either. If they could have taken a knee(which Argyle does all the time), it must have happened with very little time left in the game.  I'm sure Coach Rodgers wasn't too happy with the OC for that kind of stuff......not good for anybody.

All the time? With 12 seconds left in the game Argyle had 1st and goal could of taken a knee against La Vega but choose to score.  That the kind of thing that comes back to haunt teams.  

3 hours ago, coachkells said:

All the time? With 12 seconds left in the game Argyle had 1st and goal could of taken a knee against La Vega but choose to score.  That the kind of thing that comes back to haunt teams.  

This past Friday Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill was up 42-7 with under a minute to play and clock running with 4th and 6 on Melissa 10. They call a time out and with the starters in Deion's kid throws a pass into the end zone for a TD.....don't like that kinda stuff but it happens. If I'm coach I kneel down or part the bottom of my bench in and run a basic play up the middle. Makes even a little more sad when the scoring school has Christian in it. But because Melissa coaching staff is classy the players shake hands..the coaches shake hands and everybody goes home.

Before I moved to Melissa I lived in Argyle ISD for a number of years and can tell you Rodgers is a great coach, great man and did not like that happening and regrets it.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, JeffWrong said:

Head Coach and Puppetmaster Thompson brings Offensive Coordinator Wright and Defensive Coordinator Fry along with Howdy Doody Klint to the land of Dairy Cows for what’s sure to be a full blown slobber-knocker with the kilt clad Eagles from Denton county. Maybe King breaks out his old Sulphur Springs letterman jacket for good luck.  Speaking of good....... the defense improved by a whopping 21 points only giving up 41 to the only 3A on their schedule.  At least the new regime has installed a touch of class back to the program.  Character and discipline have been mainstays this year........oh wait. 

Prediction:  LEISD Suburban gets plenty of admin mileage added once again this week!  #Defense:ItStartsHere

50A76F77-BE49-4C87-81E7-8BD22797A612.png

Can someone tell me what he’s talking about?

7 hours ago, coachkells said:

Oh......well let's just compare that to the LV Head Coach winning the toss for THE GAME of the season in class 4A last year and chose to play in cold, freezing wet weather against Argyle instead of leveling the playing field and playing indoors like most good coaches would have done.  He had the choice of playing indoors for that game, but knew Argyle's passing game was very good and knew LV's running game would be better in those conditions.  I guess ya'll had that score coming......you earned it!!  I don't think the Argyle coaches had any sympathy for your staff this year........they already proved they didn't deserve any.

• Stinks 1