Liberty Eylau(0-4) vs Argyle(3-0) in Sulphur Springs Week 5

regaleagle

25 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Oh......well let's just compare that to the LV Head Coach winning the toss for THE GAME of the season in class 4A last year and chose to play in cold, freezing wet weather against Argyle instead of leveling the playing field and playing indoors like most good coaches would have done.  He had the choice of playing indoors for that game, but knew Argyle's passing game was very good and knew LV's running game would be better in those conditions.  I guess ya'll had that score coming......you earned it!!  I don't think the Argyle coaches had any sympathy for your staff this year........they already proved they didn't deserve any.

Good teams win despite the conditions.  I don't hear many Carthage fans complaining about the weather in there loss to Liberty Hill.  Yes they drop a few balls but they adapted and made it a game.   As for any coach if he is a good coach he will play to his teams strength.  Like you said had Argyle won the toss they would of played indoors which would of been better for their team.  Better hope you don't lose the toss again.  

2 hours ago, coachkells said:

Good teams win despite the conditions.  I don't hear many Carthage fans complaining about the weather in there loss to Liberty Hill.  Yes they drop a few balls but they adapted and made it a game.   As for any coach if he is a good coach he will play to his teams strength.  Like you said had Argyle won the toss they would of played indoors which would of been better for their team.  Better hope you don't lose the toss again.  

No sir, we can't complain. Good teams find a way to win in any conditions, we lost and moved on. No sense in crying over what you cannot change. The best team won state last year, end of story. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Texski said:

This past Friday Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill was up 42-7 with under a minute to play and clock running with 4th and 6 on Melissa 10. They call a time out and with the starters in Deion's kid throws a pass into the end zone for a TD.....don't like that kinda stuff but it happens. If I'm coach I kneel down or part the bottom of my bench in and run a basic play up the middle. Makes even a little more sad when the scoring school has Christian in it. But because Melissa coaching staff is classy the players shake hands..the coaches shake hands and everybody goes home.

Before I moved to Melissa I lived in Argyle ISD for a number of years and can tell you Rodgers is a great coach, great man and did not like that happening and regrets it.

Hope Mr. Rodgers calls them off Friday if the situation is the same. It might do some healing.

5 hours ago, coachkells said:

Wrong and you know it.......sounds good but wrong.  A predominantly running attack loves playing in bad conditions especially against teams that incorporate the passing game at least 40-50% of the time into their offense.  You may be able to smooze some people with that kind of ideology, but I've been around football all my life and I'm in my 60's now. Any real football fan knows it's just the opposite.......at all levels.  Playing in cold, wet conditions does make all the difference in the outcome of any game against any opponent......end of story.  It also heavily favors a running game vs a balanced or passing attack offense.  It's not Rocket Science......so don't try to deflect what was really a very uncharacteristically terrible playing condition which greatly affected the outcome of last year's playoff game against Argyle.  La Vega knew it would be their biggest challenge and that whoever won that game would most likely win the State Championship.  And that's exactly what happened, but the conditions were highly favorable to La Vega instead of the contest being on a level playing field indoors. La Vega had the option to play the game indoors, but chose NOT to.......they had the choice.  Carthage did not.    So that's the real truth for all to know about your LV Coaching Staff.....they used the wet, cold weather conditions as a hedge against a very elite passing team when it was not necessary to do so.  Could have played the game in Texas Stadium.....that facility was just as close as MIdlothian.

I'm just telling it like it is......like it or not.  The weather in the Carthage game that night was nowhere close to the severity of the weather in Midlothian and the Metroplex areas that night.  Could have even played the game the next day on a Saturday instead......the weather was so severe.  But NO......not La Vega.  They wanted to cheat Argyle out of a fair chance if they could......and that's exactly what happened.  The weather in the Carthage game could not even compare in severity or wetness.  The rain in the freezing cold in Midlothian NEVER stopped the entire game......it was absolutely freezing and miserable for a football game.  Most games in this kind of weather are postponed or cancelled......it was that severe and unplayable.

Everytime an Argyle tackler tried to grab the LV running back, he just slipped off the uniform it was so impossible. And our QB Hogeboom could not even get a pass to spin off his hand without it wobbling......just an impossible test for a playoff football game of that magnitude.  Worked the whole season and undefeated only to be relegated to this kind of scenario.....not fair to the players.   But the LV Coaching Staff or Head Coach made the call......and also opted not to postpone the game for Saturday like some other games did that week. This is really what happened.......and YOU know it.  So when we didn't take a knee against LV toward the end of the game this year......it was justified and also a message to your Coaching Staff.  We will not forget either.  Bring the best you got LV......Argyle is ready anytime.  Just hope you get wet cold conditions when you play us and not dry conditions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Carthage lost that same night in much lesser severe conditions also.  And their game was without rain for about half the time in that game and not nearly as cold either.  Yet the weather STILL greatly affected that game as well......but not nearly as much.  Argyle played in a rainy game against LV early in the season where it rained on and off for about half the game, but still won.  But that was a totally different playing condition.....and Argyle barely won because of the limitations put on the passing game because of the wet conditions.

So anyway......that's all history and has nothing to do with this week's game against L-E.  Somebody chimed in about an incident where supposedly Argyle did not take a knee(unverified and out of the blue).  That's what started this whole back and forth from last season......I didn't introduce it to this thread.  But I'm not gonna just let it pass either if someone wants to give only one side of a barb and not expect a retort back from someone who knows the whole situation.  Next time might be better to  just let it all pass.  You are dealing with Argyle when you open up these kind of barbs......justified or not. Good luck to your team for the locker room bulletin board material.

8 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Could have played the game in Texas Stadium

Texas stadium in Irvin? It has a hole in the roof.  AT&T stadium wasn't an option that week for any team that week, the Star is almost a home game for Argyle compared to the 2 and a half hours it is from Waco to the Star.  We could of played at Mclane which would of been much more protected from the wind but why would Rogers want to give us a home game same reason we didn't want to play at the Star.  

11 hours ago, CDAWG68 said:

No sir, we can't complain. Good teams find a way to win in any conditions, we lost and moved on. No sense in crying over what you cannot change. The best team won state last year, end of story. 

+1000

Texas Stadium was torn down 9 years ago so sure regal meant AT & T but as stated it was not available for any games in 4th round. Argyle to Frisco would a brutal drive at 5-6PM on a Friday. That would be at least 1 hour 15 min but still would have been much closer for Argyle than LV. Also, no way LV would want that trip again after having made it the week before against Paris. The elements are what they are and we seem to get a lot of bad weather in N TX in December. You just have a deal with it and having seen both teams play IMO LV was the better team and would have still won by 10+ on a dry field.

10 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Wrong and you know it.......sounds good but wrong.  A predominantly running attack loves playing in bad conditions especially against teams that incorporate the passing game at least 40-50% of the time into their offense.  You may be able to smooze some people with that kind of ideology, but I've been around football all my life and I'm in my 60's now. Any real football fan knows it's just the opposite.......at all levels.  Playing in cold, wet conditions does make all the difference in the outcome of any game against any opponent......end of story.  It also heavily favors a running game vs a balanced or passing attack offense.  It's not Rocket Science......so don't try to deflect what was really a very uncharacteristically terrible playing condition which greatly affected the outcome of last year's playoff game against Argyle.  La Vega knew it would be their biggest challenge and that whoever won that game would most likely win the State Championship.  And that's exactly what happened, but the conditions were highly favorable to La Vega instead of the contest being on a level playing field indoors. La Vega had the option to play the game indoors, but chose NOT to.......they had the choice.  Carthage did not.    So that's the real truth for all to know about your LV Coaching Staff.....they used the wet, cold weather conditions as a hedge against a very elite passing team when it was not necessary to do so.  Could have played the game in Texas Stadium.....that facility was just as close as MIdlothian.

Not if you're running the option. The prospects of fumbles grows dramatically.

25 minutes ago, Texski said:

Texas Stadium was torn down 9 years ago so sure regal meant AT & T but as stated it was not available for any games in 4th round. Argyle to Frisco would a brutal drive at 5-6PM on a Friday. That would be at least 1 hour 15 min but still would have been much closer for Argyle than LV. Also, no way LV would want that trip again after having made it the week before against Paris. The elements are what they are and we seem to get a lot of bad weather in N TX in December. You just have a deal with it and having seen both teams play IMO LV was the better team and would have still won by 10+ on a dry field.

Agree LaVega was better team

So anyway......that's all history and has nothing to do with this week's game against L-E.  Somebody chimed in about an incident where supposedly Argyle did not take a knee(unverified and out of the blue).  That's what started this whole back and forth from last season......I didn't introduce it to this thread.  But I'm not gonna just let it pass either if someone wants to give only one side of a barb and not expect a retort back from someone who knows the whole situation.  Next time might be better to  just let it all pass.  You are dealing with Argyle when you open up these kind of barbs......justified or not. Good luck to your team for the locker room bulletin board material.

Most would have taken a knee. Why didn't Argyle?

Everytime an Argyle tackler tried to grab the LV running back, he just slipped off the uniform it was so impossible. And our QB Hogeboom could not even get a pass to spin off his hand without it wobbling......just an impossible test for a playoff football game of that magnitude.  Worked the whole season and undefeated only to be relegated to this kind of scenario.....not fair to the players.   But the LV Coaching Staff or Head Coach made the call......and also opted not to postpone the game for Saturday like some other games did that week. This is really what happened.......and YOU know it.  So when we didn't take a knee against LV toward the end of the game this year......it was justified and also a message to your Coaching Staff.  We will not forget either.  Bring the best you got LV......Argyle is ready anytime.  Just hope you get wet cold conditions when you play us and not dry conditions.

This is so unlike you from past year, making excuses. In past you lost with a little class.

19 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Oh......well let's just compare that to the LV Head Coach winning the toss for THE GAME of the season in class 4A last year and chose to play in cold, freezing wet weather against Argyle instead of leveling the playing field and playing indoors like most good coaches would have done. 

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.

• Like 1

Against LE last year I have to agree no reason not to be taking a knee there even if it was your backups in.  Obviously if you were at the game they had no intention of scoring on the play and if you saw the head coach when that happened you would know he wasn't happy about it at all.  For those that weren't there it was, i believe, around a 60 yard td with several broke tackles.  Again take the knee and it doesn't happen.

Against LV this year Argyle could have taken a knee on the goaline with 12 seconds left BUT LV had a timeout left.  If you take a knee you will give LV the ball back with only a 7 point lead.  Even if for one play you can't do that.  LV can score in one play from ANYWHERE on the field at ANYTIME which they had already proven that night!!

BTW......please disregard what may seem like "butthurt" postings from me regarding Argyle......I'm just FOR a straight up good football contest between two teams that have earned their way thru the season to give the players playing an honest chance.  This isn't about "us" but about the players and what they invest personally.  

To carry this whole topic one step further.......please be advised that the Argyle coaching staff will always attempt to keep things honest and productive for the betterment of all parties involved......even if it requires sending a message to the other coaching staff to keep things honest also.  We want to win or lose honestly and fairly in all contests......regardless of the outcome.  I think this is a high standard that many other staffs do not adhere to for various reasons.  It's always easy to poke fingers at a perennial high performer, but the mirror never lies.  Never!!  Besides.......high performers should be kept to a higher standard to set the bar for all the others that need guidance to get there.

Back on topic of this game.......I really don't see any reason for L-E to hold back any play in their arsenal in order to score at anytime in this game. This game should evolve into primarily an offensive type of game.......I seriously doubt the Argyle D can hang with the speed and atheticism of the Leopards skill players.  Argyle's offense is very good, but the Eagles D is still a work in progress and needs another tough, athletic opponent like L-E to gain more experience at this level.  So I look for a highly offensive type of game here with both teams breaking big plays in both halfs.  This  game may end up becoming L-E's best overall performance of the season so far.......seems like they are primed now to play teams of a high caliber like an Argyle.  Not sure how Argyle will perform coming off their Bye Week......could be great or could be off-kilter.......nobody knows yet.