Week 6 Carthage @ Pleasant Grove

PantherNation2015

Carthage @ Pleasant Grove  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this slugfest?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2019 at 12:30 AM

18 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

Lil HawkieNation having a lil twouble admitting day dem Hawks got dem wings clipped by dem ferocious bulldawgies hehe

Nope not at all!! Hawks played a decent game and Carthage played a great game. To many missed passes.. 2 starting linebackers out 2 way starting lineman out.. pretty proud of them Hawks actually. Especially how they racked up 250 yrds on the ground and really did a great job running between the tackles.. Carthage is Carthage. They are great! You either have to have them make mistakes like they did against Gilmer or you have to have all of your studs healthy and play a flawless game. Hawks had neither yet it was still a very competitive game. Great job Hawks!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Nope not at all!! Hawks played a decent game and Carthage played a great game. To many missed passes.. 2 starting linebackers out 2 way starting lineman out.. pretty proud of them Hawks actually. Especially how they racked up 250 yrds on the ground and really did a great job running between the tackles.. Carthage is Carthage. They are great! You either have to have them make mistakes like they did against Gilmer or you have to have all of your studs healthy and play a flawless game. Hawks had neither yet it was still a very competitive game. Great job Hawks!!!

It was a very good battle, but you could see PG's getting tired later in the 3rd and into the 4th quarter. PG had long extended drives, for the most part. It surprised me how gassed the defense was late in the 4th quarter. Jackson tried to carry the whole defense on his shoulders, you could tell he gave it his all and left it all on the field. PG definitely has a great program, it will be fun to see what unfolds as the season continues. I hope the 3 we had injured, do not miss too many games. Good luck the rest of the year!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I will submit now that the list of contenders in 4a D-1 is much longer than just 3 teams.  This is high school football in the great state of Texas......and there are more than just a few teams this season in 4a D-1 capable of advancing to a regional final and making it to Jerryworld.  There are some favorites......but this season in Division 1 especially there are some pretty good teams that could surprise when the playoffs get here.

Regaleagle, I do enjoy your comments. 

I for one don’t believe there are a lot of teams in 4A that can beat the top 4 maybe 5 teams. The Dawgs, Argyle, and LeVega are pretty darn good and will only get better. You have seen all three play either in person or video. I think you should start a discussion on the teams you think could beat the three I mentioned. 

I can’t because I am to big of a Dawg homer. 

23 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Regaleagle, I do enjoy your comments. 

I for one don’t believe there are a lot of teams in 4A that can beat the top 4 maybe 5 teams. The Dawgs, Argyle, and LeVega are pretty darn good and will only get better. You have seen all three play either in person or video. I think you should start a discussion on the teams you think could beat the three I mentioned. 

I can’t because I am to big of a Dawg homer. 

Off the top of my head......I know of 3 in Argyle's district.  Then there is Decatur in Region 1......don't take them for granted. They have beat some pretty good programs so far.  They will spread out your D and make you cover them.  Their QB Fuller is a very accurate thrower.  They will give your secondary nightmares with the long ball and then hit you with runs and short passes to give you even more problems.  Melissa is more balanced, but still has the guns to outscore anybody.  Paris is just plain dangerous with all their athletes on both sides of the ball.  It's still a little early for some of these teams as they are still developing their players at different positions.......just like Argyle. Celina has some very good athletes at the main skill positions and just good football players on both sides of the ball.  Don't sneeze on them either.  Don't know much about Brownwood, but they keep winning.  There's some others too.

2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

I know is just poking fun at ya. Actually since I used to live in Texarkana, I like both PG and Carthage. I really never like to see the two play again each other. I wish both could win!

4 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

It was a toss up through the early 4th with about 8 mins left.  Two big time teams going blow for blow. Then........I’ll let you watch for yourself.

Toss up????? Hardly. 35-14 is not a toss up dude. Surratt knew what he was doing.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Off the top of my head......I know of 3 in Argyle's district.  Then there is Decatur in Region 1......don't take them for granted. They have beat some pretty good programs so far.  They will spread out your D and make you cover them.  Their QB Fuller is a very accurate thrower.  They will give your secondary nightmares with the long ball and then hit you with runs and short passes to give you even more problems.  Melissa is more balanced, but still has the guns to outscore anybody.  Paris is just plain dangerous with all their athletes on both sides of the ball.  It's still a little early for some of these teams as they are still developing their players at different positions.......just like Argyle. Celina has some very good athletes at the main skill positions and just good football players on both sides of the ball.  Don't sneeze on them either.  Don't know much about Brownwood, but they keep winning.  There's some others too.

All those schools you just named are big now. They should be 5A now. They just wanna hang around in the smaller classes so they can use their depth to an advantage. They remind me of Celina, LaVega, and Refugio. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, NightStar11 said:

Toss up????? Hardly. 35-14 is not a toss up dude. Surratt knew what he was doing.

Just stop.  14-14 with 8 mins left in the 4th the game could have gone either way.  If PG converts that 4th and short it’s a much closer ending.  As it turns out they didn’t and Carthage made them pay.  The game was much closer than the score indicates.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

All those schools you just named are big now. They should be 5A now. They just wanna hang around in the smaller classes so they can use their depth to an advantage. They remind me of Celina, LaVega, and Refugio. 

As long as they are still in 4A they have an opportunity just like anybody else.

34 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Just stop.  14-14 with 8 mins left in the 4th the game could have gone either way.  If PG converts that 4th and short it’s a much closer ending.  As it turns out they didn’t and Carthage made them pay.  The game was much closer than the score indicates.

This.  PG is a dang good team worthy of our respect.  I suspect they'll still be playing football when we're singing jingle bells.

• Like 1

Obviously with Carthage being in Region III, there's not as many toptier teams this season to contend with as in Region II.  So naturally Carthage fans feel very secure in their playoff possibilities going deep......and rightly so.  In Region II there are many toptier ranked teams in 4A D-l.  La Vega's District 5 has Brownwood and China Spring also.....not to mention Stephenville.  Argyle is in District 7 in Region II, along with Paris, Melissa, and Celina.  Those 2 districts alone are very strong in D-1 this season. In Region I, Decatur, Springtown, and Gainesville are all in the same district and all remain undefeated so far.  Say what you will, but they have all won against their schedule......it's still football and Friday Night Lights in Texas. Alvarado(4-2) in Region II District 8 lost to Van in the first game of the year, and to Decatur 49-42 in a close battle, but defeated Kennedale and China Spring already.  They could play the spoiler role in the playoffs in Region II.....they will most likely win their district  and nobody really knows yet how good they will be by the time the playoffs get here. I expect them to be undefeated in district play this season.......an under the radar team, for sure.

1 hour ago, NightStar11 said:

PG was leading 14-7 going into fourth quarter I believe. Carthage proved to be the better team with four consecutive scores. The Bulldogs wore the Hawks down and took advantage of a big turnover.

2 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

PG was leading 14-7 going into fourth quarter I believe. Carthage proved to be the better team with four consecutive scores. The Bulldogs wore the Hawks down and took advantage of a big turnover.

2 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

L-E has played all three powers. I rank Carthage as the best, Argyle second and LaVega third.

I like it.

I thought the biggest play in the game is when Carthage stopped Pleasant Grove in Carthage territory on 4th down with Carthage up 21-14.  PG was already having trouble stopping Carthage at that point and I think that stop prevented any momentum from swinging PG's way.  I know we are quick to criticize officials but I thought that crew last night did an outstanding job.  They let the kids play and with both teams playing at a fast pace, that crew hustled and got the ball back in play after each play to let the teams play at the pace they liked.  Great job by the refs!

• Like 2