BIGTEX1972

Gilmer vs PG  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Gilmer
    • PG

This poll is closed to new votes

15 hours ago, 36gut said:

Pleasant Grove hired a dynamic young coach. It took him a few years, but when they beat the Buckeyes in Gilmer in 2017, that proved that his master strategy was working.

Frankly, the way their program rose to prominence over just a few years reminded me of young Jeff Traylor's first few years here.

Let’s go back to 2012. It was the start of a group of boys that Would give a glimpse of the future state champs. That year PG’s 7th grade team lit up every opponent they played without allowing a single score. The following year they lit up every opponent and only allowed a single TD. That year is when Coach Gibson met with them and knew he had a special group of kids. His dubious prediction speech was given to the 8th grade team. “We will win a state title in 4 yrs.” In 2014 the PG Hawks 7th grade team once again was dominating opponents and had a 2 yr middle school record of only 1 loss. This was when most of PG fans had a thought about what would happen when these 2 group of kids combined at the varsity level. Coach Gibson certainly knew it. What a lot offense PG fans did not see coming is that after the graduation of that 2012 7th grade team that PG wouldn’t miss a beat.  That’s truly when Coach Gibson and his staff put their stamp on the community. Now the last of those 2014 boys are seniors. So in my mind this year is the last group of those 2 dominating middle school teams from 2012 and 2014.

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

Not a lot talk from PG fans they are usually pretty confident. I wonder if that Newton game and they played just as good with Carthage is scaring them. I believe both teams will go deep into the postseason and may even play in the postseason .

Not scared, confident yes, especially playing at home. Gilmer can win, but if they play anywhere near how they did against Spring Hill, they might as well not even make the trip to PG. 

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

Not a lot talk from PG fans they are usually pretty confident. I wonder if that Newton game and they played just as good with Carthage is scaring them. I believe both teams will go deep into the postseason and may even play in the postseason .

Not worried just busy with this thing called life. I’m catching up with the convo. 

6 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Not scared, confident yes, especially playing at home. Gilmer can win, but if they play anywhere near how they did against Spring Hill, they might as well not even make the trip to PG. 

I can see that . Are you expecting a good game

1 hour ago, Buckeyelove said:

Don’t get it misunderstood, gilmer got a strong motor, just still getting the ole carburetor and ecm tuned in. I hope to get dialed in this week. 

If it has a carburetor, it shouldn't have an ECM. May be part of Gilmer's issue. 

2 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

I can see that . Are you expecting a good game

I would hope so. Again, Gilmer is capable of winning this game, but so many things have to go right for them. Turnovers and penalties come to mind. They need to play smart, and those coaches need to have enough "gonads" to get in their face and not worry about mommy & daddy so much.

Ok so i'm reading that some Gilmer fans would like to see the other QB # 11 in this game. Then other Gilmer fans say they are concerned about his experience. Let me ask you this which one do you want to see against the best front 7 your going to play this year? What if the young gunslinger has a bad game and gets a confidence kick. What if the more experienced yet less accurate starts forcing the ball and throws some picks? My answer to the Gilmer fans: It does not matter. While the PG defense is not at 100%, it is getting there. So whoever plays QB is really not the key to the game. What is key is who is protecting that QB. Gilmer is good so the Hawks will be ready for a battle. In the end I think PG will be on top. If Gilmer plays sloppy PG could come out on top by a good margin.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Ok so i'm reading that some Gilmer fans would like to see the other QB # 11 in this game. Then other Gilmer fans say they are concerned about his experience. Let me ask you this which one do you want to see against the best front 7 your going to play this year? What if the young gunslinger has a bad game and gets a confidence kick. What if the more experienced yet less accurate starts forcing the ball and throws some picks? My answer to the Gilmer fans: It does not matter. While the PG defense is not at 100%, it is getting there. So whoever plays QB is really not the key to the game. What is key is who is protecting that QB. Gilmer is good so the Hawks will be ready for a battle. In the end I think PG will be on top. If Gilmer plays sloppy PG could come out on top by a good margin.  

#11 would prolly do better because he’s mobile and can move. That would keep the back side from just rushing up the field because if they do he would be go in a hurry. As for his confidence I don’t think it shake this kid because he seem to be built different but then again this just my opinion 

• Like 1

with all the returning kids pg has back from last years team sure they should be fav to win Friday  but who know  what can happen .this game is a dist game for both  I feel sure both will see each other in the playoffs  don't you think the Gilmer coaches have been on this road before  as have pg lets see who plays smart football  looking for a good game 

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

#11 would prolly do better because he’s mobile and can move. That would keep the back side from just rushing up the field because if they do he would be go in a hurry. As for his confidence I don’t think it shake this kid because he seem to be built different but then again this just my opinion 

And your opinion does make perfect sense. But that is not how PG plays. They get good penetration up front their outside linebackers contain the edge and their inside shoot gaps.

1 hour ago, Hawknation03 said:

And your opinion does make perfect sense. But that is not how PG plays. They get good penetration up front their outside linebackers contain the edge and their inside shoot gaps.

They really haven’t faced a scrambling QB this yr so it would be new to them but they are very good off the edges 

• LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

They really haven’t faced a scrambling QB this yr so it would be new to them but they are very good off the edges 

Iv said it before and I'll say it again.  Gilmer gets their qb situation figured out, weather it be 11 or 12, they'll be able to play with anybody.   If 12 could of threw a few good passes that connected they would of beat Paris.  Take that to the bank.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

PG faced a D1 athlete / WR playing QB from Henderson. He did make some plays scrambling, but for the most part they held the Medford kid in check.