BIGTEX1972

Gilmer vs PG  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Gilmer
    • PG

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, StangtilDeath said:

Iv said it before and I'll say it again.  Gilmer gets their qb situation figured out, weather it be 11 or 12, they'll be able to play with anybody.   If 12 could of threw a few good passes that connected they would of beat Paris.  Take that to the bank.

Gilmer only had 52 yards rushing against Paris. PG had 354 yards rushing against Paris. I know Gilmer has improved, but so has PG. The PG defense is better than Paris.

2 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Different style of offense that they run, they don’t have the Wr like we do 

I understand, but the Medford kid is going to have better "scrambling" abilities due to being a better natural athlete. 

3 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

The only style of offense you need to have to beat PG is a really good offensive line. You will find out how good Gilmer is Friday I promise.

The game is won in the trenches . If Gilmer controls the PG defensive line, then more than likely they win the game. If so, props to them. However, that will be a tall task!

6 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Containing Jackson (#40) will go a long way in beating the Hawks, for sure.

Exactly, that is tough to do. I think Pitt might have been the first game this year that he didn't have a sack. I could be wrong though. The Pitt QB was conscious of Jackson and hurried several throws.

1 hour ago, Hawknation03 said:

Yep and also 48, 44, and # 54 is healthy big 74 in the middle also.

Those guys are all very good, but Landon always seemed to be wherever the ball was; He has great vision & a lot of tenacity that you don’t see in the average high school ball player— He’ll be playing on Saturdays & then Sundays if he can stay healthy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, swaha said:

Gilmer only had 52 yards rushing against Paris. PG had 354 yards rushing against Paris. I know Gilmer has improved, but so has PG. The PG defense is better than Paris.

Gilmer also had a couple key players out on offense, probably made a little difference if assume..

Lol I think it’s funny ho people think gilmer suppose to be scared of pg. ain’t never happen in gilmer football history and not about to start 10/18/19. Paris/gilmer pg/Paris gilmer/Carthage Carthage/pg those games are over. Different games different nights different weather. Come Friday night it’s on between gilmer/pg and it will be a good one. I’m sure both coaches are getting they team ready for battle. Pray every player leave healthy as they came. 

1 hour ago, Buckeyelove said:

Lol I think it’s funny ho people think gilmer suppose to be scared of pg. ain’t never happen in gilmer football history and not about to start 10/18/19. Paris/gilmer pg/Paris gilmer/Carthage Carthage/pg those games are over. Different games different nights different weather. Come Friday night it’s on between gilmer/pg and it will be a good one. I’m sure both coaches are getting they team ready for battle. Pray every player leave healthy as they came. 

Great Post!

25 minutes ago, BIGTEX1972 said:

All I here is how good PG defensive line is. Well Gilmer has a pretty good one also!!!!  I expect a lot of pressure on PG quarterback as well

The difference is the type of offense both teams run - Gilmer runs an offense that makes it easier to force pressure on a QB since they are in shotgun - does not matter if they are running or passing out of that offense, the defense knows that it needs to pressure the QB, either on passes or read options.  Spread offenses attempt to "out athlete" the other team or hope the other team put's itself in bad positions so that a big play is created.  PG's defense will not be "out-athleted" and will rarely be out of position - this forces Gilmer to be perfect in it's execution.

The wing T is a RB heavy offense that is predicated on taking advantage of the defense, whether the defense is more talented than the offense or not.  Similar to how the military academies are able to find success against teams like OU, Michigan, and ND running the option.  If Gilmer focuses on the middle, then you hit them with sweeps and tosses, if Gilmer spreads out, then the traps and dives.  If Gilmer plays the run too tightly, then hit them over the top with a pass.

I'm not saying Gilmer can't win, it's just not likely.  These are basically the same two teams who met in the playoffs last year when PG won 56-28.  Sure, Gilmer has gotten a whole lot better, but so has PG.  Not saying the game will be a blowout, but unless PG turns the ball over a few times, then I see PG wearing Gilmer down and pulling away in the second half.  You can tell how programs compare when you look at all the game scores.   Last year PG won not just the varsity but most of the MS, 9th, and JV games.  That's a big indicator of how Varsity games will be for the next year or so.  I will be interested as well on how tonight's MS and JV games play out.  

PG Wins 38-17

Gilmer will come to play. I have no doubt. The great thing for PG is this game will be the healthiest they have been since the Gladewater game. This will be a great opportunity for both teams to really gauge themselves and see where they stack up in D2. I already know that these are the best 2 teams in District. 

4 hours ago, Buckeyelove said:

btw not that it matters now but let’s not forget where Jackson is originally from. 😜

I know he lived there a couple of years. I think it was the 5th and 6th grade. He went to the PG elementary school and played in PGYA. Pretty sure his mother is a PG graduate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buckeyelove said:

I do not think anyone believes Gilmer is scared of PG. This is a message board and when people post things such as PG has not faced a scrambling QB, you can expect to get some responses. In addition, past games with same opponents are not a true indicator but it does give some thoughts and opinions on the possible outcome. I expect it to be a great game and hope everyone comes away healthy, and PG is the victor.