BIGTEX1972

Gilmer vs PG  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Gilmer
    • PG

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, Hawks2021 said:

The difference is the type of offense both teams run - Gilmer runs an offense that makes it easier to force pressure on a QB since they are in shotgun - does not matter if they are running or passing out of that offense, the defense knows that it needs to pressure the QB, either on passes or read options.  Spread offenses attempt to "out athlete" the other team or hope the other team put's itself in bad positions so that a big play is created.  PG's defense will not be "out-athleted" and will rarely be out of position - this forces Gilmer to be perfect in it's execution.

The wing T is a RB heavy offense that is predicated on taking advantage of the defense, whether the defense is more talented than the offense or not.  Similar to how the military academies are able to find success against teams like OU, Michigan, and ND running the option.  If Gilmer focuses on the middle, then you hit them with sweeps and tosses, if Gilmer spreads out, then the traps and dives.  If Gilmer plays the run too tightly, then hit them over the top with a pass.

I'm not saying Gilmer can't win, it's just not likely.  These are basically the same two teams who met in the playoffs last year when PG won 56-28.  Sure, Gilmer has gotten a whole lot better, but so has PG.  Not saying the game will be a blowout, but unless PG turns the ball over a few times, then I see PG wearing Gilmer down and pulling away in the second half.  You can tell how programs compare when you look at all the game scores.   Last year PG won not just the varsity but most of the MS, 9th, and JV games.  That's a big indicator of how Varsity games will be for the next year or so.  I will be interested as well on how tonight's MS and JV games play out.  

PG Wins 38-17

Any subvarsity scores for tonight?

1 hour ago, Buckeyelove said:

lol stay calm it’s ok. My point was “that’s why they play the game” I said nothing about a qb. But the point remains scrambling qb or not Friday night is a new night. 

Ha. As the kids say, I am chill. The scrambling QB was from someone else. As I said earlier, should be a great game.

9 hours ago, Hawks2021 said:

The difference is the type of offense both teams run - Gilmer runs an offense that makes it easier to force pressure on a QB since they are in shotgun - does not matter if they are running or passing out of that offense, the defense knows that it needs to pressure the QB, either on passes or read options.  Spread offenses attempt to "out athlete" the other team or hope the other team put's itself in bad positions so that a big play is created.  PG's defense will not be "out-athleted" and will rarely be out of position - this forces Gilmer to be perfect in it's execution.

The wing T is a RB heavy offense that is predicated on taking advantage of the defense, whether the defense is more talented than the offense or not.  Similar to how the military academies are able to find success against teams like OU, Michigan, and ND running the option.  If Gilmer focuses on the middle, then you hit them with sweeps and tosses, if Gilmer spreads out, then the traps and dives.  If Gilmer plays the run too tightly, then hit them over the top with a pass.

I'm not saying Gilmer can't win, it's just not likely.  These are basically the same two teams who met in the playoffs last year when PG won 56-28.  Sure, Gilmer has gotten a whole lot better, but so has PG.  Not saying the game will be a blowout, but unless PG turns the ball over a few times, then I see PG wearing Gilmer down and pulling away in the second half.  You can tell how programs compare when you look at all the game scores.   Last year PG won not just the varsity but most of the MS, 9th, and JV games.  That's a big indicator of how Varsity games will be for the next year or so.  I will be interested as well on how tonight's MS and JV games play out.  

PG Wins 38-17

Pretty good post.  I do think PG will make life difficult for QB1 for the Bux.  I see lots of balls thrown out of bounds to avoid the sack.  I think Gilmer comes out with QB2 in the second half and makes a game of it.  I sure hope the atmosphere is the same as it was for the Carthage game.  Hopefully the cooler weather will keep the crickets hiding!  😂

11 hours ago, BIGTEX1972 said:

All I here is how good PG defensive line is. Well Gilmer has a pretty good one also!!!!  I expect a lot of pressure on PG quarterback as well

Hard to pressure a quarterback who is usually handing off or pitching the ball. 

Good morning!

its game day. So as always want to  wish all of the fans safe travels. To Gilmer fans if you get here a little early and would like to have some great food before the game try the new Flying Burger on Summerhill Rd. 
To the PG fans, Let’s get ready to be loud and proud for our Hawks!

To the Hawk players get this one for #18. @ Porchia!

IMG_0604.jpg

This game will decide the district!

LETS GO HAWKS!

83AA8130-E970-48C2-BEE1-7F499489BA17.jpeg

If you've ever seen the model T offense shut down, it's usually a nose guard and inside linebacker that's doing it, and if they are strong enough and quick enough it creates hell for the center /gaurds to do their job. Any pulling or crossbuck blocking in the interior is negated and timing is disrupted,forcing the option to the perimeter and thus stringing out plays. The key to anybody beating pg will be a nasty nose guard /tackle whipping the center, and that doesn't seem to happen very often.. Says alot about the center/gaurds.. Lol 

As much as I want Gilmer to win this game, PG may control line of scrimmage and clock, will be a fun one to watch tho. 

7 hours ago, Buckeyelove said:

All gilmer team won except 8th grade

Which bodes well for Gilmer over the next few years against PG - but for this year I believe that PG still has more talent than Gilmer.  That matters when both teams are playing well.

Hope everyone has a safe trip and I'm about 99% sure this is the first of two games between us this year.

2 minutes ago, Hawks2021 said:

Which bodes well for Gilmer over the next few years against PG - but for this year I believe that PG still has more talent than Gilmer.  That matters when both teams are playing well.

Hope everyone has a safe trip and I'm about 99% sure this is the first of two games between us this year.

I like the sound of that.. Lol 

Well as much as I would like to say, this is anyones ballgame, I would be wrong, this is PGs game to lose, Gilmer has talent, but they don't have the consistency at this point, and the offense, is like an unpredictable hurricane, you just never know what your going to get, and with the front 7 that PG has, im afraid its gonna be a long night for the Bux, we couldn't block Paris, and we are going to really struggle with these guys, #40 is the real deal, along with 44 and the rest of them, do we have the defense to keep this game close, absolutely, but you have to be able to score with PG to keep it close, I did watch the PG and Carthage game, and it appeared to me, that PG just wore down in the 4th, several kids going both ways, including their qb,  because even into the 3rd, I still thought it was anyones game, as for this game a lot ifs, for Gilmer, if the Oline can play lights out,  12 can get the ball out on time, and most importantly keeping  22 fresh, till the 4th, that will be key, if the game is close in the 4th I do like Gilmer, Gilmer does have the rotation to wear PG down, IF they don't let the game get out of hand early, which in my mind is going to be one the  biggest ifs, my gut says PG big, but again with Gilmer if the ifs can come together, Gilmer does have the talent to make a game of it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

I think all we can do is wait and see on this game. It does seem that Gilmer may have a little trouble with the wing t just basing off of the Paris game. PG is a better wing T offense than Paris. There's also the fact that Gilmer looked really good against Carthage so maybe that Gilmer D has gotten better since the Paris game. Like I said for me this is one of those games that you just cant predict. That's what makes this game probably game of the week.

Hawk nation that’s what I meant about my post when saying this game is a different day and different game there’s no telling really in this game tbh  pleasant grove is good I like the discipline and that seems to give them the edge looking at both teams previous matches but I don’t agree that pg has more talent than gilmer  they may be the same at best, this game in my opinion will be more won on the sideline than anything. Y’all have a good young coach we have a good coach as well  I think more the difference in the two are the way the two coaches look at how the game is played  you guys coach come in and did what traylor did in gilmer and that’s brought a new style offense that not many schools hv learn to defend yet  

6 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

If you've ever seen the model T offense shut down, it's usually a nose guard and inside linebacker that's doing it, and if they are strong enough and quick enough it creates hell for the center /gaurds to do their job. Any pulling or crossbuck blocking in the interior is negated and timing is disrupted,forcing the option to the perimeter and thus stringing out plays. The key to anybody beating pg will be a nasty nose guard /tackle whipping the center, and that doesn't seem to happen very often.. Says alot about the center/gaurds.. Lol 

As much as I want Gilmer to win this game, PG may control line of scrimmage and clock, will be a fun one to watch tho. 

Gilmer has a DT that is tough to block, when he wants it. 

43 minutes ago, Buckeyelove said:

Hawk nation that’s what I meant about my post when saying this game is a different day and different game there’s no telling really in this game tbh  pleasant grove is good I like the discipline and that seems to give them the edge looking at both teams previous matches but I don’t agree that pg has more talent than gilmer  they may be the same at best, this game in my opinion will be more won on the sideline than anything. Y’all have a good young coach we have a good coach as well  I think more the difference in the two are the way the two coaches look at how the game is played  you guys coach come in and did what traylor did in gilmer and that’s brought a new style offense that not many schools hv learn to defend yet  

Agreed this should be a heck of a game. I wouldn't say that PG is more talented than Gilmer either, but I will say that their Defensive line is more talented than most teams in 4A for sure. Without a doubt this is the most talented D line PG has ever had including 2017.

35 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Agreed this should be a heck of a game. I wouldn't say that PG is more talented than Gilmer either, but I will say that their Defensive line is more talented than most teams in 4A for sure. Without a doubt this is the most talented D line PG has ever had including 2017.

I beg to differ that 2017 d-line was nasty, don’t get me wrong these guys might be getting more college looks but that was a one of a lifetime d-line y’all had that yr. also u got to think them boys went from o-line to dominate on defense 

Lol with 40 standing out there on the end not taking anything from the other young men but it makes the other guys job a lot easier. Kinda goes back to the qb debate with gilmer with a more mobile guy back there makes the oline job lil easier and backs. Our biggest problem at that position is you hv more experience with the one that’s not as mobile. 

4 hours ago, Buckeyelove said:

They have like 15 D1 recruits. Yes they have more talent. Don’t let your love for our buckeyes blind ya