Celina at Melissa

d0tc0m

I'm on board with just about everything you say here, Red ... until you get to Celina's run game this year as compared to last year's.

The Bobcats ABSOLUTELY have a better rushing attack this year. Not to mention, the offensive line is better, overall, this year. Point is another year stronger and seasoned, as is Watson. Not to mention the addition of Martinez in the backfield, who will be fun to watch in the coming year, along with senior Luke Addy, a speedster who didn't play last season.

All those things add up to a more potent attack, no question about it.

17 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I'm on board with just about everything you say here, Red ... until you get to Celina's run game this year as compared to last year's.

The Bobcats ABSOLUTELY have a better rushing attack this year. Not to mention, the offensive line is better, overall, this year. Point is another year stronger and seasoned, as is Watson. Not to mention the addition of Martinez in the backfield, who will be fun to watch in the coming year, along with senior Luke Addy, a speedster who didn't play last season.

All those things add up to a more potent attack, no question about it.

We can agree to disagree lol, either way it should be a great game.

IMHO......both teams are legit regardless of the outcome of this game.  Both teams have faced some very upper echelon teams this season......even though both teams lost to those still undefeated teams by a large margin.  But both teams are battle tested because of it, and have won against some quality teams too.  I think both teams are still improving with each game and will be even better by the time the playoffs get here......and even more battle-tested by then. In the grand scheme of the season it's the playoffs that will matter most for all 4 playoff teams coming out of District 7.  Seeding will come into play.......but may not matter until the 2nd or 3rd rounds for these teams.  It's all a crapshoot......there are just too many variables in play in this closely contested District 7 among 4 very good football teams.  I don't think there is another district in 4A that can compare.......a couple that may come close......but not as competitive with 4 really good teams like this district has.

10 hours ago, regaleagle said:

IMHO......both teams are legit regardless of the outcome of this game.  Both teams have faced some very upper echelon teams this season......even though both teams lost to those still undefeated teams by a large margin.  But both teams are battle tested because of it, and have won against some quality teams too.  I think both teams are still improving with each game and will be even better by the time the playoffs get here......and even more battle-tested by then. In the grand scheme of the season it's the playoffs that will matter most for all 4 playoff teams coming out of District 7.  Seeding will come into play.......but may not matter until the 2nd or 3rd rounds for these teams.  It's all a crapshoot......there are just too many variables in play in this closely contested District 7 among 4 very good football teams.  I don't think there is another district in 4A that can compare.......a couple that may come close......but not as competitive with 4 really good teams like this district has.

I would agree with you on most of that, Regal. This is certainly in the conversation for toughest district in Div. I. At the start of the year I said you could slot any of the top four teams in any order you wanted and make a case for it to finish that way. I still think Argyle is the top dog, but the gap between them and the other three may not be as big as it has been. Time will tell on that front. At any rate, I expect the teams from District 7 to make it a few rounds deep yet again. One of them will play for the Region II title, as well.

The only thing I'd comment on with what you said, Regal, is with regards to the good teams Celina and Melissa have played so far this year. Melissa has the toughest matchup between the two, IMO, with that big loss to TCA (Cedar Hill, not Addison). Then a close loss to a good, undefeated Frisco team. I'd say FW Nolan is better than Frisco by a bit, but not quite as good as TCA. And Celina's loss was not by a large margin. It was a one possession game late into the fourth quarter, before Nolan got their last score to put away the win. FW Nolan had speed, size and played extremely physical on both sides of the ball.

Either way, that's why I said the schedule, to me, was almost a wash. I think if Celina played Memorial again, they'd mop the floor with them. I think if they played Nolan Catholic again they could pull out the win. But I think if Melissa played TCA, it would be much closer, and I think if they played Frisco again, the Cardinals would put up a W. Obviously, none of that can happen, so you take the lessons you learn from those losses and move forward.

I know one thing, I am ready for Friday.

Regal, how are the Argyllians feeling heading into this week's matchup with Paris. I know they're not overlooking the Wildcats by any stretch of the imagination, but they've got to be feeling pretty confident after seeing what the Bobcats were able to do.

Methinks mum is the word in Argyle for this week.......which means they are all business for this contest in Paris.  They don't want to be caught up in their own success with 2 easy games in a row and the bye week in the mix.  It's been since they played L-E that they have been challenged.  They will be more than challenged again.  The matchup of Paris vs Celina was just that.....a matchup between those two teams.  The matchup between Argyle and Paris will be different......and Jackson might play.  Argyle will be missing Alex Gonzales like last week and a few others banged up. Gonzo is one of the main scorers on offense this season.......although Argyle does have quite a few targets Hogeboom can go to. But Gonzo knows how to get open and has excellent hands.  He also has good speed and excellent moves after the catch......that's what makes him such a threat.

I totally expect Argyle to stick to their gameplan until forced to make adjustments.  I doubt if any adjustments will be made offensively, but some could be made during the contest on defense.......depending on what Paris is doing offensively.  This will be a good test and barometer this week to see how much the defense has improved against good competition. The starters really haven't played a full game in a while.......Coach Rodgers has been unloading the bench the past two games to give those guys valuable playing time and letting the starters heal up any nagging body parts in the process. I think in both games against Sanger and then North Lamar the starters were being pulled in the 2nd quarter and did not play the rest of the game in both contests.

Makes sense to me. Honestly, Byce could have quite a bit of success this week for the Eagles. Get that bruising offensive line to just lean on Paris's defensive front, and he could be off to the races. If the Wildcats haven't sorted out their run defense, this one will get ugly, ugly, ugly. Because Argyle WILL go to the air, and their receivers, in 1-on-1 situations, are going to be hard for Paris to cover.

It's a tough matchup for the Wildcats coming off that beating last week. You know they'll be hungry to get things back on track, but man, trying to do that against the No. 1 team in the state is no small task.

It does appear that Argyle is in good shape at all the skill positions offensively.......they have excellent depth at QB, RB's, and wideouts.  The O-line is big and beginning to understand how to work together as a unit better now than just using their size and raw abilities.  This helps the QB and RB's regardless who they may be.  There is young depth in the O-line also if need be.

It's fairly safe to say that this game will be an eye-opener for the rest of the season for everybody.  That means the Argyle coaching staff, the team as a complete unit, and all of those following the progress of the Argyle Eagles......including all playoff bound teams in Region 2.  It should also serve as an eye-opener for the Paris Wildcats to assess their team situation as well and what areas they need to work on the most.  Same could be said for both teams in the Melissa/Celina battle this week.  Seems like this is a crucial week for all 4 playoff bound teams in District 7  for a multitude of reasons.

11 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

It's fairly safe to say that this game will be an eye-opener for the rest of the season for everybody.  That means the Argyle coaching staff, the team as a complete unit, and all of those following the progress of the Argyle Eagles......including all playoff bound teams in Region 2.  It should also serve as an eye-opener for the Paris Wildcats to assess their team situation as well and what areas they need to work on the most.  Same could be said for both teams in the Melissa/Celina battle this week.  Seems like this is a crucial week for all 4 playoff bound teams in District 7  for a multitude of reasons.

I agree. This is a pretty good barometer week for these teams.

This is the start of the toughest matchups Argyle will see for a while. Eagles get Paris this week, Melissa next week, then Celina few a weeks down the road. That's a pivotal little stretch right there, for everybody.

Paris could find themselves in a similar situation to where Celina was a year ago. Reeling. Facing somewhat of an identity crisis late in the season. The Bobcats lost three of their last four games at the end of the regular season, before finding their footing and nearly pushing themselves into the Region II finals. The Wildcats still have the talent to do exactly that. And they may indeed have to do some of that soul searching after this week if they suffer another blowout loss.

Melissa and Celina are going to know exactly where they stand after Friday. Can Melissa's defense step up and stop the brutal ground game of the Bobcats? Can Celina's defense slow down an offense that spreads them out and emphasizes multiple points of attack? Can the Bobcats throw the ball when needed and get the pigskin in the hands of their playmakers?

Lots of questions will be answered. Lots of entertainment for all of us. Just another week's march towards the postseason when you better have it all sorted out.

Finishing 2nd vs 3rd in district is going to be huge.  3rd place likely gets the winner of district 5 which includes Brownwood and La Vega in the 2nd round.  Very good chance you season ends in Round 2 of playoffs if you finish 3rd in district 7.  I just don’t see either Celina or Melissa beating Argyle for the 1st that make this game huge.  

1 hour ago, Footballalltheway said:

Finishing 2nd vs 3rd in district is going to be huge.  3rd place likely gets the winner of district 5 which includes Brownwood and La Vega in the 2nd round.  Very good chance you season ends in Round 2 of playoffs if you finish 3rd in district 7.  I just don’t see either Celina or Melissa beating Argyle for the 1st that make this game huge.  

Seeding certainly will come into play. However, I think these District 7 teams can absolutely compete with what District 5 has. Brownwood has been impressive, don't get me wrong, but I think Celina and Melissa could definitely hang/beat them. Hell, the Bobcats were the four-seed last year and beat a good Stephenville team in the second round. This year's Celina team is much better overall than last year's, and Argyle and Melissa could probably both say that same thing.

Just an FYI, I know RedRed has commented on the Bobcats offensive line, but one thing that hasn't gotten much notice this year (and understandably so) is that Celina has yet to start a game with the same starting five offensive linemen. Our best guy was lost in the first or second scrimmage and has yet to play — although we hope to get him back by the postseason. And we've been plagued with injury across the offensive front. That's forced a lot of guys to play a lot of different spots, and it's been one of the factors that's hindered the passing game. But those guys have worked their tails off, they've taken their licks against some really stout defensive fronts (Memorial, FW Nolan) and finally put it together against another good defensive front in Paris.

When everyone along the line comes back healthy, the Bobcats will be a force and will have all kinds of depth there. That may not happen fully until the playoffs, but slowly, bit by bit we're getting guys back. And all those young guns have stepped up and worked extremely hard. It's made the team better, that's for sure.

To compound on what was said earlier about Celina's rushing attack not being as good this year as last year: Logan Point is at almost 1,000 yards rushing with 16 TDs already. Well ahead of his pace last season. And that's WITH the offensive line injuries I mentioned earlier.

3 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

Football is all about matchups.  Unfortunately for Melissa Celina’s strengths play right into Melissa’s weaknesses as far as being able to run the ball versus Melissa’s run defense.  

Just as big a question is how well will Celina’s D-line will do against the Melissa OL?  I would have to give Celina the advantage there as well as Melissa has some size but not very athletic like the Celina D-line.  

The one thing Melissa does have going for it is they will have the best player on the field in their QB.  The kid is a dude!!  Might simply come down to turnovers.  

Could be right. Lewis is just flat out a game changer. No way around that. But Young is as well, and so is his backup. It's going to be a tall order for the Bobcats defense. But, if that defensive line can do what they did against Paris, I like Celina's chances.

The only team Melissa has had trouble moving the ball against was TC Cedar Hill and admittedly they man handled Melissa's oline like it was nobody's business, but when your starting dline is 6'5 320, 6'6 270, 6'4 205 and 5'10 230 and athletic that might present some issues. Not making excuses because TC Cedar Hill dline was just flat out bigger and better than Melissa's oline. 

23 minutes ago, RedRed said:

The only team Melissa has had trouble moving the ball against was TC Cedar Hill and admittedly they man handled Melissa's oline like it was nobody's business, but when your starting dline is 6'5 320, 6'6 270, 6'4 205 and 5'10 230 and athletic that might present some issues. Not making excuses because TC Cedar Hill dline was just flat out bigger and better than Melissa's oline. 

That's a massive defensive front lol

FW Nolan was big and athletic as well, but I don't know that they were that big. I don't really recall their measurements. Memorial's line was pretty massive too.

7 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

That's a massive defensive front lol

FW Nolan was big and athletic as well, but I don't know that they were that big. I don't really recall their measurements. Memorial's line was pretty massive too.

Gotta program lol. They were huge and oline was massive also. The nose guard was the 6'5 320lb kid and just plugged everything up, you couldnt move him. The freakin TE was 6'5 235. Point is they looked like a 6a school and whipped butt lol. 

24 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Gotta program lol. They were huge and oline was massive also. The nose guard was the 6'5 320lb kid and just plugged everything up, you couldnt move him. The freakin TE was 6'5 235. Point is they looked like a 6a school and whipped butt lol. 

As a 6A school should lol

If you've got a nose-guard that big that can move ... good luck, man. You could triple team him and he'd still lean forward and clog up all the gaps. Just only so much coaching and technique can do for your kids at that point lol.

I doubt FW Nolan's line was quite as big as that, but they certainly had some hosses that will be playing on Saturdays, that's for sure. They made life hard on a jostled-around Celina offensive line that night. But, in all honesty, I was proud of the way the boys handled them overall. Learning experience for sure.

Celina's defensive line won't be nearly, nearly as big as TCA-CH's. But they are athletic and fairly quick. They won't pass the eye-test like TCA-CH by any stretch of the imagination, but if they play as disciplined as they did against Paris, they'll cause some problems. And we could see some big ol' collisions between Lewis/Young and Bobcats' MLB Logan Engle on Friday. He can move, and he's smart, and he brings the hat. Played the game of his life against the Wildcats.