Melissa at Argyle

CrankyOldMan

1 hour ago, Eaglesone said:

Melissa can win this game in perfect weather.  I am not sure if rain benefits Melissa or not.  The last time Argyle played in the rain they got beat because of dropped passes and no running game.  They have a much improved running game this year.

Their running game is based off of their passing game it a numbers game for Argyle.  Stack the box they will throw the ball, drop back and cover and they will run it down your throat.  It a Art Bryles Baylor type offense.  From what I have seen neither of these teams have much of a defense this year though Argyles D came up with a few timely stops against La Vega.  Weather will be a factor for both teams (weather edge I give to Melissa).  Wish I could come watch this one. If it rains during the game, this one is a push, no rain Argyle by 10.  But what do I know.  

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

The hourly Accuweather forecast for Denton is showing a definitive drop off in the possibility of rain around 8 pm.  There could be a good chance for a rainy kickoff and first quarter,  but maybe not........kickoff is still almost 10 hrs away.

I bet the rain has cleared throughout DFW by the time games begin kicking off.

7 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Their running game is based off of their passing game it a numbers game for Argyle.  Stack the box they will throw the ball, drop back and cover and they will run it down your throat.  It a Art Bryles Baylor type offense.  From what I have seen neither of these teams have much of a defense this year though Argyles D came up with a few timely stops against La Vega.  Weather will be a factor for both teams (weather edge I give to Melissa).  Wish I could come watch this one. If it rains during the game, this one is a push, no rain Argyle by 10.  But what do I know.  

It's pretty basic really.......almost all balanced offenses become less effective in wet conditions vs a predominantly run-oriented highly ranked opponent.  Both of these teams tonight have balanced offenses.......so it should be a "wash".......pun intended, LOL.  

Argyle has had lots of teams in past years that depended on their strong D to win games and give their offense more chances.  This season it's the Argyle offense "making up" the difference because the defense is still maturing.  They will get there.......it's just taking this bunch longer. And the schedule has been fairly tough except for a couple of teams. Not many seniors on the defense this season.  Hogeboom has made a big leap at QB in his senior season......that makes a big difference with Argyle's type of offense.

Overall......I would say Argyle is in pretty good shape at this juncture of the season.  They will have played alot of very good "playoff-bound" teams and established a good base of depth off the bench.  The starters have been given plenty of "off time" during the season in most games and injuries have been kept to a minimum.  Argyle always gears for a long season, so they are only halfway thru their games so far.  I think Coach Rodgers and his staff have a pretty good handle on guiding this team so far and working all of its parts to its greatest potential when crunch time gets here.  Even a loss tonight against a good Melissa team will not upset the composition they are building with this team.

In my opinion, Melissa doesn't have quite enough on offense to beat Argyle. Lewis at QB is a home run threat every time the ball is snapped, and he'll be the best athlete on the field, by far. But I'm guessing the Eagles got a great look at the Celina game film and saw some things they could do to stop him. He'll get his, and you won't shut him down completely. But if you even remotely slow him down, you'll beat the Cardinals. Young is good at RB, but he's not going to blow you away, nor will the other young man.

A balanced offense will absolutely give the Cardinals fits. Melissa won't be able to bring the house like they had the luxury of doing against Celina, which continues to battle through a plague of injuries across the offensive line. Just too many weapons for Melissa to defend, in my opinion. As long as the weather holds up, I think Argyle wins fairly easily. By at least a couple of possessions, and I don't think it'll be as close as the score might indicate.

I think the Argyle defense might be able to perform better against another spread offense than they do against an offense with multiple running threats that primarily run the football.  They tend to show their youth and inexperience against those kinds of offenses.......overpursuit with the flow,  the secondary playing the run too much, and just getting out of position too easily.  I guess tonight's game against Melissa will show how well the Eagles defense can perform against a very good  spread offense.  Decatur has one of those too......and they are very effective with it.  Truth be known.......I guess Argyle hasn't really faced a team yet this season with an effective spread offense like a Melissa or Decatur.....or an Argyle......LOL.  I guess there aren't that many as we think there are, Huh?

17 hours ago, Eaglesone said:

This is true.  Regal is right though as in 2014 Navasota scored to tie the game from the one on the last play in regulation and won in double OT.  The problem was the fact they had fumbled out of the EZ on the play before and the official made a bad call (verfied on the gazillion inch jumbotron) but it happens and that is the way the cookie crumbles.  That would have put an exclamation mark on a 32-0 run.  The next year La Vega scores with :11 seconds to take the lead and Argyle blocks the extra point only to be ran down by a LV stud on the LV 20, LV won by 1.  Again they lost both games but let's not pretend they got to state and folded.

Two exits in the playoffs in 16-17 were teams Argyle should have beaten and Argyle lost their QB during district in 17.  Last year La Vega won handily in QF but don't forget Argyle had to score in the last seconds to win in game 1, I can't imagine anyone was confident that they were going to win the 2nd game last year.  

We lost 2014 SC due to the least athletic QB to ever play that position for Argyle.  You could collectively hear the entire Argyle crowd yelling "NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" as soon as the QB started to roll out when he threw the INT.  Why not let Ralston just beat the entire Navasota team like he had been doing all afternoon??!!  Game woulda, coulda, shoulda been over right there had they just handed the ball to Ralston.

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

It was only a matter of time before the 08 game resurfaced.  It was the timeout before the half to score another TD that really ticked them off....

First half of a playoff game.  Play to win.

Tatum was 5-5 going in to that game, i think, not 4-6.

Tatum was winning state championships and beating Carthage in that day. It was Tatum, come on. Should’ve scored 80.

But the TO really ticked them off for sure 😂. I was hearing a lot of smack talk before the game, and then those were some ticked off suckers after. Before that beating you had to hear Tatum talk a whole bunch of smack to Carthage. After, no mas. 

Thanks EB for bringing up fond memories.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eaglesone said:

The next year La Vega scores with :11 seconds to take the lead and Argyle blocks the extra point only to be ran down by a LV stud on the LV 20, LV won by 1.  Again they lost both games but let's not pretend they got to state and folded.

La Vega Won that game 33-31, and Cobb caught him about the 45 of Argyle and tackled him on the LV 44.  I know over time memories fade and turn in to things we wish had happened.  

Just now, coachkells said:

La Vega Won that game 33-31, and Cobb caught him about the 45 of Argyle and tackled him on the LV 44.  I know over time memories fade and turn in to things we wish had happened.  

You're right about the memories fading but i wanted him to score and get the 2 points!  When Cobb turned on the speed there was no chance of it happening.  I did remember it being 32-31 but you are correct sir.

3rd and 8 now for Melissa......Argyle calls a timeout with some time left in the 1st qtr and Melissa is against the wind.  Argyle will try to hold and force the punt into the wind before time runs out on the qtr.  Flag against Argyle for hands to the face gives them a first down.....their first of the night.