Melissa at Argyle

CrankyOldMan

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

"Early exits" by whose standards.......Carthage???  I'm very proud of the Argyle Eagles teams and what they have been able to accomplish with the personnel they have had over the years.  I think overall Coach Rodgers and his staffs have done an excellent job and really solidified the programs.

Yes, they have an excellent program. Everybody from Argyle should be proud of their program. Coach Rodgers is excellent, and we have a lot of respect for him.

Early exits based on the standard of being ranked #1 in the state every year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

You know as well as I do the rankings mean very little in the playoffs........any team could knock out any other team in any round.

Regal, you are a good supporter of your team. You take it pretty good over here. Glad you post, even though I think you are a huge homer, lol. You are always here to defend the Eagles. 

Good luck to Melissa and Argyle this week. Should be a great game. I got Argyle by 3 TD late. Should be fun if the weather cooperates.

2 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

What? You are joking right? All Argyle cares about is putting up a bunch of points. Or that’s what it looks like from an outside perspective. It was 67-6 against Sanger. 62-7 against CH. 63-14 against NL. The scores against bad teams are like this every year. 

2 reasons for a good team to score 60. The opponent scores 40+. Or you like to score just to score.

Really? So you are cool with embarrassing kids from Sanger? Or NL? Look I don’t even care about running up the score. It’s just a game. But if you can let the other team leave with some respect and something to build from, I think that is a good thing.

This conversation is just another reason we love Scott Surratt!!

Didn't Carthage win games last year putting up 61 & 66 points?? So OK for your team to do it but not other teams??

8 minutes ago, Texski said:

Didn't Carthage win games last year putting up 61 & 66 points?? So OK for your team to do it but not other teams??

Yes, and one of those was against Gilmer. Wouldn’t exactly call them helpless. Carthage does it maybe 1 time per season on average. Maybe. I bet Surratt hasn’t scored 60 on a bad team 10 times in 12 years. Not even a comparison. 

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Yes Argyle has an excellent football program. Very impressive. Even more impressive is the overall athletic and academics program at Argyle. Crazy all the LSC. Baseball program is unbelievable. Rated as one of the top teams in the nation.

Only blemish on Argyle’s pristine program is the 1-4 football record in state championship games, and early exits the last 3 years when everybody was saying they were unbeatable.

This is true.  Regal is right though as in 2014 Navasota scored to tie the game from the one on the last play in regulation and won in double OT.  The problem was the fact they had fumbled out of the EZ on the play before and the official made a bad call (verfied on the gazillion inch jumbotron) but it happens and that is the way the cookie crumbles.  That would have put an exclamation mark on a 32-0 run.  The next year La Vega scores with :11 seconds to take the lead and Argyle blocks the extra point only to be ran down by a LV stud on the LV 20, LV won by 1.  Again they lost both games but let's not pretend they got to state and folded.

Two exits in the playoffs in 16-17 were teams Argyle should have beaten and Argyle lost their QB during district in 17.  Last year La Vega won handily in QF but don't forget Argyle had to score in the last seconds to win in game 1, I can't imagine anyone was confident that they were going to win the 2nd game last year.  

59 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Haven't heard if the JV game is playing tonight over in Melissa with all of this rain and possible lightning.  There's been some real thunderboomers come thru Denton and I heard Melissa was getting major league downpours as well.

They did not play tonight.

2 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

NVM. It’s not even worth posting.

Hey Bulldog I can only speak for myself but two things; I think the bulldogs have the premier 4A football program in the state.  I also think SS is a great coach and a better person!  Coach Rodgers is the same.  I have the privilege of knowing both.  

Running up the score.  Although looking at the box score it may appear so but if you look at who scores it will appear different.  Twice argyle has had the third string QB in during the first half.   Only one time have I seen something I thought looked bad and it was a pass on last play of game last year against LE from 3rd string QB to 3rd string receiver and he took a five yard hitch 55 yards for a TD.  Rodgers appeared to be very #### when that happened.

I have not seen a post on here trying to say Argyle has better football program than CTH.

2 hours ago, Texski said:

Carthage could score 60+ nearly every week, but you rarely see it. Surratt pulls back and let’s the backups get good game experience.

We’ve been over this many times in the past, but with other posters.

The truth is Argyle has often put up a ton of points when it’s not required. Carthage usually does not put 60+ unless it’s needed to insure victory. The year Carthage put 60+ on Gilmer it was WAY out of hand at half time and Carthage only scored one TD in the second half. So, there goes that example. 

Argyle just runs their program a little differently than Carthage.

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Carthage could score 60+ nearly every week, but you rarely see it. Surratt pulls back and let’s the backups get good game experience.

We’ve been over this many times in the past, but with other posters.

The truth is Argyle has often put up a ton of points when it’s not required. Carthage usually does not put 60+ unless it’s needed to insure victory. The year Carthage put 60+ on Gilmer it was WAY out of hand at half time and Carthage only scored one TD in the second half. So, there goes that example. 

Argyle just runs their program a little differently than Carthage.

You do understand they put those points up with 2’s and 3’s right?  And if CTH puts back ups in and calls plays that don’t work that is great.  There is an argument for both styles.  

23 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

I have not seen a post on here trying to say Argyle has better football program than CTH.

I really wasn’t even bringing Carthage into it. This isn’t about Carthage. That poster brought it up, not me.

And it wouldn’t be a good debate for anybody to say Argyle has a better fb program than Carthage, cause they don’t. It’s not even close. 

But honestly I was posting about Argyle in an Argyle thread. I’m glad you guys are here posting. Same as I told Regal. You guys take it pretty good on an ETX site.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

You do understand they put those points up with 2’s and 3’s right?  And if CTH puts back ups in and calls plays that don’t work that is great.  There is an argument for both styles.  

I just think people think Argyle might score more than they need to regardless if it’s 8th graders doing it. It doesn’t help Argyle (I know supporters will say it does), and it’s really bad for some of these bad programs like Sanger and NL. 75-6, 70-14, 69-13, and 67-6? You think this helps Argyle or the team they are playing? This is only from 2018 and 2019. Crazy how bad Argyle beats teams. But it is what it is. You can have a good debate and a lot of different opinions on both sides of this one. Like I said before I’m proud of the way SS handles these situations most of the time. Sure sometimes it gets away from you a little bit, but when it’s consistent that’s who you are as a program. Hell Gilmer used to be far worse than Argyle, and they had a ton of success under JT.

7 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

I do, I think the main point when you have backups in is to stop the destruction and second is getting valuable playing time for backups. You shouldn’t be throwing the ball even with third stringers in the game up by 50+ and under 2 minutes to go. You just shouldn’t do stuff like that.