Coldest high school football game you ever been to

3rdcoastent

15 hours ago, maxjean said:

lol the coldest game i have ever witnessed or been a part of was the 90 3a state final game crockett vs vernon wind chill was -22--30 that was the coldest game by far i have ever witnessed.

Played in it...I still think that is the coldest I have ever been.  Pads in our pants were frozen, I had to pick my mouthpiece out of my mouth cause it was frozen to my teeth.  I remember drinking hot chocolate at halftime instead of water.

20 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Man, these two teams have taken it on the chin of late. Sad how that can happen to a program. 

They really have, very sad.  I think I read where Burkeville was having a hard time fielding a team.  I hope Overton starts improving over the next couple years.  They have a good coach, just have to have some kids that can get it done.

3 hours ago, Eaglesone said:

They really have, very sad.  I think I read where Burkeville was having a hard time fielding a team.  I hope Overton starts improving over the next couple years.  They have a good coach, just have to have some kids that can get it done.

Someone said that Burkeville has never really recovered from the flooding that occurred there years back.....people left the town. 

We have scrimmaged Overton the last two years. I wish their coach well. Hometown guy trying to bring them back to where they used to be. Hope the kids and community respond. 

Longview vs McKinney Boyd at Wilcat-Ram Stadium in Richardson.

Temps in the 20s, wind chill had to be worse. Light drizzle throughout.

It was absolutely miserable. 

The Spring Westfield game last season in early December in Waco was pretty similar to the conditions, but thankfully wasn't below freezing. That was pretty miserable itself.

2009 Region 2 Semifinal Pleasant Grove and Pittsburg. 

Longview Lobo Stadium.

Sleeting, Ice on the field, Temps in the High 20s-Low 30s.

Nothing Like Soccer Season, where that is expected. Games in Longview Tournament at night at 8 degrees once.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:53 PM, Jacket44 said:

Alto vs Groveton ‘95 in Palestine, coolers and water bottles all froze up. Also the State Championship game in ‘07 was crazy cold, windchill was ridiculous.

That would probably ‘90, both were Seniors.

This was my answer. 95 in Palestine was by far the coldest I have been too.  I remember as a kid begging to go home.  But we didn’t until the very end. lol

The 07 temperature wasn’t bad once you got out of that wind tunnel of a stadium lol. It funneled the wind to be so much worse then it was.  Funny thing is in 06 it was so hot I was sweating. 

On 10/24/2019 at 11:31 PM, StingEmALTO said:

Someone said that Burkeville has never really recovered from the flooding that occurred there years back.....people left the town. 

We have scrimmaged Overton the last two years. I wish their coach well. Hometown guy trying to bring them back to where they used to be. Hope the kids and community respond. 

Hurricane Rita (‘05) and Ike (‘08) destroyed a lot of homes in their school district, and the majority of the people affected didn’t have the means to rebuild, so they moved to bigger towns and took their best athletes with them. 

Gilmer vs Olney somewhere out near Fort Worth in '60 or '61.  The temp was hovering around 18 degrees all night, with about a 25 mph wind.  I thought my ringers and toes were gonna freeze off.  Plus, we lost,,, that made it that much worse.  People brought large paper grocery bags to put their feet down into and tied them tight around their calves, trying to stay warm.  Not many, (if any)  folks had insulated boots back them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2019 at 7:49 PM, AKA said:

December 1995, Class 1A quarterfinals, Overton vs. Burkeville...  think I was covering the game for the Tyler paper. Don't remember where it was but I do know I froze my ### off. 

It was played at Grapeland...band kids saliva in instruments froze some of them solid...big time brrrrr 

Sheesh, been some cold ones. 1995 semifinals, Celina vs Stinnett West Texas in Vernon comes to mind. Most of the crowd was huddled around metal trashcan fires for most of the game. It was bitterly, bitterly cold. The 1998 Celina vs Pilot Point game was crazy, too. It was a warm October day ... right up until kickoff. A blue norther rolled in from out of nowhere — you could see it coming on the horizon — and it went from pleasant to shivering, can't-stand-it frigid cold right at kickoff. I was a young'n in the stands and I fell down the bleachers leaving that game, because I'm pretty sure the blood in my legs had frozen.

But, of all those, the coldest I've ever been was probably my little brother's senior year, the 2007 semifinal matchup of Celina vs Snyder out in Abilene. It was a deceptively beautiful, beautiful December day. Not a cloud in the sky. And not a damn thing out there at Shotwell to stop one of the most ferocious winds I've ever felt in my life. It was in the 20s before kickoff, and it didn't do anything but plummet as the sun went down. It was too cold to sit down in the stands, and we all huddled together as close as we could in the bleachers. One Bobcat dad had bought a massive box of hand/feet warmers and was passing them out. It was miserable, but a blast at the same time.