Earl Campbell’s Thoughts On QBs

Stoney

https://www.hookem.com/2019/10/30/bohls-earl-campbell-black-quarterback/

Earl Campbell’s fix for the Longhorns’ offense:

Earl Campbell thinks he can fix the Longhorns. Texas’ first Heisman Trophy winner told me last week that he loves Sam Ehlinger, but he has a requirement for future Longhorn quarterbacks. “Until the University of Texas realizes —, and nothing against Ehlinger, you got to have a talented, black quarterback,” Campbell said. “All these schools that are winning, even in the pros, have black quarterbacks. When guys are not open, something can still happen.” He mentioned Tua Tagovailoa, Vince Young, Jalen Hurts, Deshaun Watson and J.T. Barrett, who wanted to come to Texas. Campbell said he really admires Hurts and said they became close friends after the quarterback was a finalist for the Earl Campbell Award. They text each other often. “He reminds me of myself,” Earl said. “He’s a calm individual. He doesn’t get too excited and keeps it all inside. Nick Saban did all he could to kill his motivation. Jalen is one of the most classy individuals I’ve ever seen play sports. It looks like Oklahoma is going to win the Heisman a third year in a row. It looks like he’s not even running, like he’s walking.”

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

https://www.hookem.com/2019/10/30/bohls-earl-campbell-black-quarterback/

Earl Campbell’s fix for the Longhorns’ offense:

Earl Campbell thinks he can fix the Longhorns. Texas’ first Heisman Trophy winner told me last week that he loves Sam Ehlinger, but he has a requirement for future Longhorn quarterbacks. “Until the University of Texas realizes —, and nothing against Ehlinger, you got to have a talented, black quarterback,” Campbell said. “All these schools that are winning, even in the pros, have black quarterbacks. When guys are not open, something can still happen.” He mentioned Tua Tagovailoa, Vince Young, Jalen Hurts, Deshaun Watson and J.T. Barrett, who wanted to come to Texas. Campbell said he really admires Hurts and said they became close friends after the quarterback was a finalist for the Earl Campbell Award. They text each other often. “He reminds me of myself,” Earl said. “He’s a calm individual. He doesn’t get too excited and keeps it all inside. Nick Saban did all he could to kill his motivation. Jalen is one of the most classy individuals I’ve ever seen play sports. It looks like Oklahoma is going to win the Heisman a third year in a row. It looks like he’s not even running, like he’s walking.”

B3500345-6EDF-404C-A0E7-29F426A9A493.jpeg

You mean like last year when Trevor Lawrence won the title??  Isn't Tua Hawaiian??

Sorry Earl, Ehlinger isn't the problem at Texas.

But he may get his wish with J. Jackson and Milroe coming in.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AKA said:

I love Earl...  but he's talking out his ### here. 

It's the same conversation that old racist white men have.  "I would never want a black Quarterback.  All they can do is run and get hurt."  When everyone knows you can win with a good QB, you just have to have a good QB.  Race doesn't play into it.  If black and white actually plays a part in how well you read a defense and throw a football I think we are going to start seeing some "Transracists" :p 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I think Earl has the right idea about Texas missing on QB prospects, especially difference makers but I don’t get the race aspect. 

That's the way I see it.  A quarterback regardless of race has to fit the system or the system has to fit them.  You can hit on 1 star prospects and miss on 5 star prospects.  I think it depends on the protection of the offensive line.  If your offensive line stinks you need someone that has some wheels, but if you have one that can protect a quarterback with a cannon can win for you.  Take for instance D'Eriq King, he has both, but he knows he's not going to improve his draft chances  by sticking with the Cougars, because he knows they're going to be bad.  Why not sit a year, and possibly be drafted ?  I know some Cougar fans are upset with him, but come on he has a desire to be in the NFL so let him pursue his dream.  

• Thanks 2

I just lost so much respect for Campbell. This is the dumbest take I’ve ever seen. It’s extremely racist for starters, and secondly it’s not even factually accurate. Bet he thinks Kaepernick should be starting somewhere as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AKA said:

I love Earl...  but he's talking out his ### here. 

I love Earl too, but they may want to check his painkiller and beer intake again...and when he's in "wacky slurring mode" keep a mic out of his face. I too think that Texas has missed waaaay too many times on "the QB" that could have been "the one"...sadly many times when that QB longed to be there originally. Times are changing and hopefully Texas will "pound the strike zone" more getting great talent at QB...and all the skill positions for that matter. 

5 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I love Earl too, but they may want to check his painkiller and beer intake again...and when he's in "wacky slurring mode" keep a mic out of his face. I too think that Texas has missed waaaay too many times on "the QB" that could have been "the one"...sadly many times when that QB longed to be there originally. Times are changing and hopefully Texas will "pound the strike zone" more getting great talent at QB...and all the skill positions for that matter. 

Agreed about Earl. Very puzzling. 

As far as the Texas QB, its been a while since Colt McCoy prowled the UT sideline. Many were hoping that Sam could change the narrative but it hasn't happened. 

If this is a complete interview I have not read it. I only know what was presented here as being quoted by Earl.

Unless I have missed it somewhere I do not know in what context the question was asked or if it was a leading question that gets a desired response.

Despite being a writer for AAS Kirk Bohls is not necessarily a positive writer about the Horns.  He has written things in the past that seem to just generate clicks. Heck, he voted AGAINST VY for the Heisman!!!!

Vince Young and the zone read offense though very successful ruined the QB position for Texas ... that offense suited his skill set and many teams including Texas keep trying to duplicate what he was able to accomplish ... Ehlinger is no VY and it shows ... Texas needs to quit trying to replicate VY and move on ....

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Vince Young and the zone read offense though very successful ruined the QB position for Texas ... that offense suited his skill set and many teams including Texas keep trying to duplicate what he was able to accomplish ... Ehlinger is no VY and it shows ... Texas needs to quit trying to replicate VY and move on ....

I think VY was ahead of his time. A guy with his abilities being a legit running threat made that zone read something people weren’t ready for. Fast forward 15 years and I think every team plans for zone read type plays. Hell now there’s even the rpo which is essentially just a more advanced version of that zone read. 

My point is, I agree with you that Texas needs to stop looking for the next VY. I don’t think it will ever be as successful as it was then. I don’t even think VY would be as successful running it today as he was 15 years ago. 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

I think VY was ahead of his time. A guy with his abilities being a legit running threat made that zone read something people weren’t ready for. Fast forward 15 years and I think every team plans for zone read type plays. Hell now there’s even the rpo which is essentially just a more advanced version of that zone read. 

My point is, I agree with you that Texas needs to stop looking for the next VY. I don’t think it will ever be as successful as it was then. I don’t even think VY would be as successful running it today as he was 15 years ago. 

VY could have been a great NFL quarterback if he didn't like to drink so much that was his only downfall.  I was hoping he would have made it in the NFL.