Week 10 - Atlanta @ Hooks - 11/8

H3llR4z0r

5-Way Tie for District Championship on the Line!  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the W?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/09/2019 at 01:30 AM

2 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I really don't know what to say about this. There will be lots of film posted about this game.

Just horrible officiating for both teams. I’ve watched a lot of high school football over the years and what I saw tonight was absolutely pathetic. I am glad Hooks pulled it off tho. 

46 minutes ago, 98crush said:

Just horrible officiating for both teams. I’ve watched a lot of high school football over the years and what I saw tonight was absolutely pathetic. I am glad Hooks pulled it off tho. 

Words can't describe it. I know the outcome benefited you guys, but it was hard to take.

I'll probably catch some flack for this, but that's okay. I made the mistake of complaining about refs about 4 years ago, and I really haven't complained much about them sense. Now that I look back, especially after last night, I think that it was ridiculous to complain over a couple of blown calls.

But last night is a different story. People on here will quickly come to defend officials, and that's fine. Every job entails some criticism. Even the preachers hear it. 

The officiating wasn't one-sided. The calls were terrible both ways. I even said when the calls, at the time, were in Atlanta's favor, that the officials were absolutely terrible. 

Last night, I saw the most confused group of officials I believe I've ever seen, at any level of football. The coaches were constantly running out to the refs to correct them, to inform them of the rules even. The poor guy running the clock was flying by the seat of his pants, because the officials went entire drives without ever signalling to roll the clock. The officials were clearly rusty on the rules, or even simple game procedure. 

In all honesty, I felt like the best thing that could have happened was for Atlanta and Hooks to tie and go into overtime, and just hope by god's grace the refs could turn the page and call it right from that point forward. Atlanta might have still lost, and ultimately it doesn't even matter, but that would have probably been the best thing that could happen. 

Good luck to Hooks. It's not their fault it turned out the way it did. I hold nothing against those guys. 

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
25 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I'll probably catch some flack for this, but that's okay. I made the mistake of complaining about refs about 4 years ago, and I really haven't complained much about them sense. Now that I look back, especially after last night, I think that it was ridiculous to complain over a couple of blown calls.

But last night is a different story. People on here will quickly come to defend officials, and that's fine. Every job entails some criticism. Even the preachers hear it. 

The officiating wasn't one-sided. The calls were terrible both ways. I even said when the calls, at the time, were in Atlanta's favor, that the officials were absolutely terrible. 

Last night, I saw the most confused group of officials I believe I've ever seen, at any level of football. The coaches were constantly running out to the refs to correct them, to inform them of the rules even. The poor guy running the clock was flying by the seat of his pants, because the officials went entire drives without ever signalling to roll the clock. The officials were clearly rusty on the rules, or even simple game procedure. 

In all honesty, I felt like the best thing that could have happened was for Atlanta and Hooks to tie and go into overtime, and just hope by god's grace the refs could turn the page and call it right from that point forward. Atlanta might have still lost, and ultimately it doesn't even matter, but that would have probably been the best thing that could happen. 

Good luck to Hooks. It's not their fault it turned out the way it did. I hold nothing against those guys. 

This is not a jab at hooks but those last few minutes hooks got a break with the clock. Should have been running several times. I'm not going to get into the other calls cause that's a whole another conversion in itself. But that was a bad game from the refs. 

51 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I totally agree. That was the worse bunch I have seen in years. Both teams had huge calls go against them that were bogus. And the white hat was clueless. Your team and fans are a class act!

2 hours ago, Cannon85 said:

I totally agree. That was the worse bunch I have seen in years. Both teams had huge calls go against them that were bogus. And the white hat was clueless. Your team and fans are a class act!

Hooks fans and players are class acts as well! Both teams fought as hard as they could. It #### Atlanta didn’t make it but we did it to our selves. If we played like we did against Jeffy and Hooks against HS and MV . I believe the outcome would be different. I will be rooting for all of D7 teams the rest of the way. Good luck and show these other districts what D7 brings to the table!!! # BEASTTEXAS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:16 PM, Racer55 said:

Yeah plz explain 

So, don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming to be annexpert on the art, by any means. But we've been paying pretty good attention to what goes on for eight years, since our oldest joined Cameron Jr High Band. 

So here's what I saw: 

A: I know I have heard of bands getting "penalized" for starting early, before they're announced and "given permission" to start. Now, I have asked, and been told that a band can begin playing before the announcement, but nothing they do or play will count. I was told bands do this to plan a "crescendo" or some other attention-grabbing moment right as their names are announced. We saw one band do this in prelims, and at least four in the finals round. I did not notice any of them use it for any sort of "moment." 

B: That being said, a lot of the bands, of course, used props, some... let's say abundantly. Whitesboro's use of ladders - and whatever that big, ugly mound-of-dirt-looking thing was in the middle of the field that their pit was set up on - was a bit much. I know for a fact I am far from the only person who thinks that some bands look more like they're trying to put on an off-Broadway dance number. A lot of the bands' actual marching performances didn't feature an impressive... I guess you'd say "trick" moment. But they made up for it with production, without looking like they're depending on props and theatrics. 

Atlanta had a great set, their music or marching wasn't impressively complex, but it went terrificly with their theme, and boy were they colorful. Again, representing their theme. 

Honestly, Queen City's theme and presentation were probably the least impressive of the ten finalists. By far. Mineola - Great production, and they nailed what they did performance-wise. But better than Atlanta, or even Crane? No. 

So here's what was really perplexing. White Oak was the only "military"-style marching band there. And they did what they did superbly. I can tell you their championship round performance was rougher - their lines were "dirtier", which for a military marching band is essential. But I seriously texted my buddy during the prelims and told him the entire Roughnecks Band was audirioning for the Aggie Marching Band. They had no props, and flags onlybduring the final section. All straight line and angle marching. 

And they placed fourth.

Rumor I'm hearing is that one of the judges was so all-over-the-place that they're not going to be used again. I'm told he/she ranked Yoe tenth for their music (trying to confirm if that's composition or performance), and without that ranking, Yoe would have won bronze. I'll tell you this - We have a senior in band this year, so I've seen all the hard work those kids, directors, and supporters put into that show. And I understand all the schools have that, that's how they got there. But after seeing everything I saw last Wednesday, I have even more of an appreciation for Yoe's performance. 

Anyway, the whole thing didn't make sense to me. But Mineola definitely wasn't the best band there (Their theme was "Car Man", and at one point I noticed part of the band had formed an "A" and a "R", and I was like, "What the heck is that for? ...Oh, wait... I guess that's a 'C'." *Eyeroll* Seriously?) and Atlanta definitely got s****ed.

36 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

So, don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming to be annexpert on the art, by any means. But we've been paying pretty good attention to what goes on for eight years, since our oldest joined Cameron Jr High Band. 

So here's what I saw: 

A: I know I have heard of bands getting "penalized" for starting early, before they're announced and "given permission" to start. Now, I have asked, and been told that a band can begin playing before the announcement, but nothing they do or play will count. I was told bands do this to plan a "crescendo" or some other attention-grabbing moment right as their names are announced. We saw one band do this in prelims, and at least four in the finals round. I did not notice any of them use it for any sort of "moment." 

B: That being said, a lot of the bands, of course, used props, some... let's say abundantly. Whitesboro's use of ladders - and whatever that big, ugly mound-of-dirt-looking thing was in the middle of the field that their pit was set up on - was a bit much. I know for a fact I am far from the only person who thinks that some bands look more like they're trying to put on an off-Broadway dance number. A lot of the bands' actual marching performances didn't feature an impressive... I guess you'd say "trick" moment. But they made up for it with production, without looking like they're depending on props and theatrics. 

Atlanta had a great set, their music or marching wasn't impressively complex, but it went terrificly with their theme, and boy were they colorful. Again, representing their theme. 

Honestly, Queen City's theme and presentation were probably the least impressive of the ten finalists. By far. Mineola - Great production, and they nailed what they did performance-wise. But better than Atlanta, or even Crane? No. 

So here's what was really perplexing. White Oak was the only "military"-style marching band there. And they did what they did superbly. I can tell you their championship round performance was rougher - their lines were "dirtier", which for a military marching band is essential. But I seriously texted my buddy during the prelims and told him the entire Roughnecks Band was audirioning for the Aggie Marching Band. They had no props, and flags onlybduring the final section. All straight line and angle marching. 

And they placed fourth.

Rumor I'm hearing is that one of the judges was so all-over-the-place that they're not going to be used again. I'm told he/she ranked Yoe tenth for their music (trying to confirm if that's composition or performance), and without that ranking, Yoe would have won bronze. I'll tell you this - We have a senior in band this year, so I've seen all the hard work those kids, directors, and supporters put into that show. And I understand all the schools have that, that's how they got there. But after seeing everything I saw last Wednesday, I have even more of an appreciation for Yoe's performance. 

Anyway, the whole thing didn't make sense to me. But Mineola definitely wasn't the best band there (Their theme was "Car Man", and at one point I noticed part of the band had formed an "A" and a "R", and I was like, "What the heck is that for? ...Oh, wait... I guess that's a 'C'." *Eyeroll* Seriously?) and Atlanta definitely got s****ed.

This is a thread about a football game, probably not the place for this. That being said, as someone who also enjoys band myself: Mineola was the best in nearly every aspect, there’s a reason every single judge in both prelims and finals put them in first. It’s not just about presentation/composition, it’s mostly about execution, and they’ve got it for sure. I do agree though, judging was a mess, but the arts are a very subjective place, weird stuff happens in every single fine art.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mTex said:

This is a thread about a football game, probably not the place for this. That being said, as someone who also enjoys band myself: Mineola was the best in nearly every aspect, there’s a reason every single judge in both prelims and finals put them in first. It’s not just about presentation/composition, it’s mostly about execution, and they’ve got it for sure. I do agree though, judging was a mess, but the arts are a very subjective place, weird stuff happens in every single fine art.

I'm answering those who asked because they said for whatever reason they can't comment on the post in the band forum. Sorry if it's an inconvenience for you. 

You're right - It is subjective. Like I said - All the performances were great, but from what I saw, all aspects considered, Mineola's was not better than Atlanta's or Yoe's. And given that Whitesboro's over-production and Queen City's unimpressive sets were two and three, followed by White Oak's straight-forward, no-frills performance, the judging seemed like they just threw names in a $9 20oz Alamadome cup and drew at random. 

Honestly, I saw video of the 2017 Championship and I'm telling you right now New Diana was better than Mineola, and I know I am faarrr from the only one with that opinion. 

2 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

So here's what I saw: 

And they placed fourth.

What in the world. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

So here's what I saw: 

And they placed fourth.

Yepp, just how I would have described it........🎼🤣🍺🤠