🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs

Everide2016

1 hour ago, 88YoePride said:

We all know the only reason the UIL added a fourth playoff team from each district was just to make more money. This is ridiculous. 

So, who did it hurt?  Again, there is quite the list of 4th place teams to win a first round game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

Matter of fact, if I was the HC of a team that went 0-10 and got awarded a playoff spot, I'm forfeiting the game. 

No your not!!! You are going into the game seeing it as another chance for your kids to play and your staff to coach!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It waters down the playoffs one week. ONE week. That’s it. 

It means an extra week of a game we all love. 

Thats like griping about extra cake.  Or extrs ice cream. Extra fishing. Extra lasagna. 

What the hell are you people griping about?  ONE week.  All the undeserving will lose in the first week. The end. Argument over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you want to get down to it, back when I played only the District champ advanced. My Jr. year we were 9-0-1 and stayed home. Lost the district championship on 1st downs. For you younger pups, back in the day a tie went Penetrations, 1st downs, then total yards to decide the winner. But it still went down as a tie.

4 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Ole Radio once again leading the revolution for a better system in football. Schools make their own pre district schedule. If you take overall record into account a school can schedule a weak pre district and somehow prove to be better?  Also in your "good system" are scrimmages taken into consideration for playoffs? 

First thing I'd ban you from the field so your horrible lack of knowledge of football couldn't rub off on any players anymore, then I'd bring you a bunch of game films of teams who have no problem actually getting positive yardage so you could watch and learn. And then once you prove yourself, I might just might let you be on the 4th string and/or be in charge of loading the band equipment and spit polishing the footballs. 

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 3

I was coaching at Killeen in 1991, the 1st year 5A took 3 teams. Our QB and RB were hurt along with a couple of defensive players. We dropped our 1st 2 district games to Temple and Waco. We won the next 7 of 8 games as a 3rd place team. Tied in the 1st round of the playoffs, won on penetrations and won the 5A Div. I State Championship at the Astrodome. I glad they let us play our 1st playoff game and we didn’t forfeit.

Another that comes to mind is Whitehouse winning state years ago getting in the playoffs with a 4-6 record if I recall.

• Like 3

If the 4th place team is that terrible, the good team can play starters for about a quarter or a little more ....... then it is an opportunity for the juniors, sophs and freshmen to compete against competition about equal to them - final time probably for coaches to see what they may offer for next year.  And if the starters need to stay in shape, have them run sprints and lift on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

No your not!!! You are going into the game seeing it as another chance for your kids to play and your staff to coach!!

As a HC I'm not supporting a system that sends my 0-10 to the playoffs when we didn't even earned a single win, so hell yes I'm forfeiting. 

• Stinks 2

• Mr. P changed the title to 🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs
On 11/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, Everide2016 said:

Here we go.  I know I've seen plenty of 1-2 win teams make the playoffs, but don't recall ever seeing a zero win team.  Well we have 0-10 Iraan.  Any others?  I know it's the system, but why not have some integrity, or whatever one wants to call it, and just forfeit the game.

Woohoo.. wait a minute! How can a team that didn’t even win a district game get in???  The system only takes 4 teams ..  and there is usually 6 teams per district.. something don’t add up .. 

1 hour ago, NightStar11 said:

First thing I'd ban you from the field so your horrible lack of knowledge of football couldn't rub off on any players anymore, then I'd bring you a bunch of game films of teams who have no problem actually getting positive yardage so you could watch and learn. And then once you prove yourself, I might just might let you be on the 4th string and/or be in charge of loading the band equipment and spit polishing the footballs. 

Radio, I don't understand how this rant you just went on was attached to my post. Also regarding this rant I think you have me confused with someone else, but then again I think you are just confused. Are you talking to a coach or a player? You are really impossible to follow, Radio. 

Just now, mrclean69 said:

Radio, I don't understand how this rant you just went on was attached to my post. Also regarding this rant I think you have me confused with someone else, but then again I think you are just confused. Are you talking to a coach or a player? You are really impossible to follow, Radio. 

I'm kidding

Serious question that has nothing to do with this topic. Some posters have green +’s under members and some have red -‘s. I’m assuming green is positive and red is negative. So does anyone know what these mean? I’m a sporadic poster and may have missed this explanation. TIA.

1 hour ago, corrigancamden09 said:

Woohoo.. wait a minute! How can a team that didn’t even win a district game get in???  The system only takes 4 teams ..  and there is usually 6 teams per district.. something don’t add up .. 

A few four teams districts are out west . It is what it is but they knew in last realignment that the team was going to the postseason .

9 minutes ago, randomuser said:

Serious question that has nothing to do with this topic. Some posters have green +’s under members and some have red -‘s. I’m assuming green is positive and red is negative. So does anyone know what these mean? I’m a sporadic poster and may have missed this explanation. TIA.

Community Reputation on this board

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Thats like griping about extra cake.  Or extrs ice cream. Extra fishing. Extra lasagna. 

What the hell are you people griping about?  ONE week.  All the undeserving will lose in the first week. The end. Argument over.  

I like the four teams, because I like 6 weeks of playoffs.  But, I still contend that if there's a team that hasn't won a single game, the UIL should list that as something like "did not qualify" and have it listed as a first round bye for the team they would have played.  This only eliminates 1-3 playoff games per year, some year none.  

Griping about watching an 0-10 team in the playoffs isn't anything like griping about extra cake.  It is indeed a "watering down."  

Understand they'll lose, but what's the point in having them play.  Give the bye to the other team, they can scrimmage their JV and be better off, or take the entire team on a trip to watch their second round opponent.  They can do something that will be beneficial to their team, not waste time and effort on something that should have never been.

Everyone has a different opinion, some think it's beating a dead horse... I see it as pure common sense that a state that prides itself on High School Football would want making the playoffs to actually mean something.  In the case of an 0-10 team, it means nothing other than the UIL made a stupid decision.  

19 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

I like the four teams, because I like 6 weeks of playoffs.  But, I still contend that if there's a team that hasn't won a single game, the UIL should list that as something like "did not qualify" and have it listed as a first round bye for the team they would have played.  This only eliminates 1-3 playoff games per year, some year none.  

Griping about watching an 0-10 team in the playoffs isn't anything like griping about extra cake.  It is indeed a "watering down."  

Understand they'll lose, but what's the point in having them play.  Give the bye to the other team, they can scrimmage their JV and be better off, or take the entire team on a trip to watch their second round opponent.  They can do something that will be beneficial to their team, not waste time and effort on something that should have never been.

Everyone has a different opinion, some think it's beating a dead horse... I see it as pure common sense that a state that prides itself on High School Football would want making the playoffs to actually mean something.  In the case of an 0-10 team, it means nothing other than the UIL made a stupid decision.  

There’s NEVER anything wrong with competing. The team playing the 0-10 team is still in a competitive environment. It only gets them better for the following week. I also believe an 0-10 varsity team is better than your JV. My opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

23 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

3-7 is JT overall record, but Overall record is irrelevant.  The district record is the only record that matters. In some districts you could have 3-7 overall record and win the district.

JT finished 3rd in district...It is what it is.  

Maybe JT should schedule Iran, Scarbrough, and Texas School for the Deaf Blind and Stupid to get their win total up and make people like Nightstar feel better. 

• LOL! 1

18 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Maybe JT should schedule Iran, Scarbrough, and Texas School for the Deaf Blind and Stupid to get their win total up and make people like Nightstar feel better. 

They cant Nac already called them, they are booked!!

• LOL! 2

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

People complain just to complain and be negative. Why does anyone care, it’s an extra playoff game, which is great?

Now, the ONLY thing I’d be concerned about is injuries, but that’s it. Just more possibilities for your players to get hurt, but that’s every time they play and practice or lift weights or drive down the road.