2A D1 AREA PLAYOFF: #8 Alto Yellowjackets (11-0) vs. Joaquin Rams (9-2) @ 7:30 p.m. Lufkin’s Abe Martin Stadium - Friday 11/22/19

StingEmALTO

Alto vs. Joaquin  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances?

• Alto
    • Joaquin

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2019 at 01:30 AM

10 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

That’s why they called the 06-07 teams the sons of tradition. Most on the guys on the team dad’s played on the 84 team that lost to groveton in the regional final. 

Yalls squad was legit. Your band was legit. Crowd was legit. Program is about to return to its glory days I think. You’ll have to get used to something that y’all weren’t used to in the 80-90s etc and that’s a Joaquin program that has been on the turnaround TRULY since the day Wade Lawson and Jones twins put on the uniform almost 20 years ago. If you’ll look at Joaquin football prior to Lawson’s class donning the uniform you’ll see 0-10 seasons galore. Soon as Lawson and Jones twins and their class started playing ball you’ve had to start taking Joaquin serious. Seems like it’s been Lawson’s life mission almost to transform a once laughed at program into a respected program and ultimately a feared program. Soon as he 100% took the helm as head coach his winning spirit has infected the town. Him and the Jones boys are dogs. They ain’t got nothing but fight in them. As long as they are there Alto will have to contend with another type of tradition. One in the making.

Them boys have had their crosshairs on Garrison, Alto, Tenaha, San Augustine for a long time, y’all are just now seeing the beginning stages of something 20 years in the making finally manifest itself. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

Yalls squad was legit. Your band was legit. Crowd was legit. Program is about to return to its glory days I think. You’ll have to get used to something that y’all weren’t used to in the 80-90s etc and that’s a Joaquin program that has been on the turnaround TRULY since the day Wade Lawson and Jones twins put on the uniform almost 20 years ago. If you’ll look at Joaquin football prior to Lawson’s class donning the uniform you’ll see 0-10 seasons galore. Soon as Lawson and Jones twins and their class started playing ball you’ve had to start taking Joaquin serious. Seems like it’s been Lawson’s life mission almost to transform a once laughed at program into a respected program and ultimately a feared program. Soon as he 100% took the helm as head coach his winning spirit has infected the town. Him and the Jones boys are dogs. They ain’t got nothing but fight in them. As long as they are there Alto will have to contend with another type of tradition. One in the making.

Them boys have had their crosshairs on Garrison, Alto, Tenaha, San Augustine for a long time, y’all are just now seeing the beginning stages of something 20 years in the making finally manifest itself. 

I totally agree that y’all are starting to have that type of program that every year folks will have to worry about y’all. The last 10-15 years yalls team has been competitive and is always in the talks with a district title. It takes time and patience to get there and a town buy in. Winning the type of war y’all won last week just lays more to that foundation.  No doubt that Joaquin is not a lay down and take it team. They will play with the best year in and year out. That’s all you can ask for is to have the not rebuild but reload culture. 

One last time from me - seems to be the last Alto guy left - great game from yalls boys and good luck the rest of the way. Hope all those guys heal up soon. Have a happy thanksgiving and enjoy playing afterwards. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

11-1 to a traditional power is disappointing especially knowing the talent that was on the field.  To many of the folks in Alto anything less then 3 rounds is failure every year. That’s what you get when you have the success and record that alto has had the last 30 years. 

It’s funny to think how this region would’ve turned out if Joaquin doesn’t lose that game to Harleton.  This game was worthy of a regional final as far as quality. 

I still truly believe the main problem that Alto had was the fact that they hadn’t had any true competition in weeks. Not only does that hurt the players but even coaches have to brush rust off.  They don’t have to see what works in times of hardship with their players.  By no means saying that if would’ve made a difference but some times a struggle is good for a team. 

I stood there wondering all night why they wasn’t throwing the ball to #19.... there at the end of the game and even most of the night Joaquin had single coverage on him...

I really would have liked to have seen them throw the ball more .... 

2 minutes ago, corrigancamden09 said:

I stood there wondering all night why they wasn’t throwing the ball to #19.... there at the end of the game and even most of the night Joaquin had single coverage on him...

I really would have liked to have seen them throw the ball more .... 

Safety over the top had em worried. We could slow their run with our front so he was essentially doubled covered 

Just now, BlueBlood99 said:

Safety over the top had em worried. We could slow their run with our front so he was essentially doubled covered 

They tried two short passes and Joe #2 smoked High on the 2nd one and he broke it up. #8 Bragg over the top makes ya a little leary on throwing it deep

31 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Yes sir now that you think about it he was double covered,   But if you put a receiver on both sides that safety has to really be on his toes and the person playing man better not let him get by