Area round rematch Jefferson vs Malakoff

Guest Tiger03lb

Who do you got?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

This game will be won or lost by the big boys in the trenches. Just like last year. I think we hold an edge in that department. Especially on defense. I’m not saying Black won’t get loose on us but he’s not gonna run all over us. That hasn’t happened all year and we have faced some speedsters before. We have some big fast backs that will punish you and wear you down. Rotating them in and out keeps them fresh. I know I’m biased but I think we have one of the best coaching staffs in Texas in any classification and that also makes a huge difference. Can’t wait until Thursday night. Good luck Jeffy and safe travels.

Guest Tiger03lb
1 hour ago, FlowJack said:

Jefferson is in the same situation that Malakoff was in last year.  Maybe they can play keep away and create a turnover or two.  You never know.

Imo, I don't think Jeffy has the oline to do that or to be that physical with our d line. Commerce had a decent oline, they put a linemen as a te to help with blocking when they did that one clocking eating drive before the half. It didn't work so well for commerce in the second half when they tried it again. But like you said you never know. Peace has been spot on with his passing here lately. I will say if our receivers bobble the ball, Jeffy has the players to make a turnover in the air. I think we will stick with our running and pass when needed. 

1 minute ago, Tiger03lb said:

Imo, I don't think Jeffy has the oline to do that or to be that physical with our d line. Commerce had a decent oline, they put a linemen as a te to help with blocking when they did that one clocking eating drive before the half. It didn't work so well for commerce in the second half when they tried it again. But like you said you never know. Peace has been spot on with his passing here lately. I will say if our receivers bobble the ball, Jeffy has the players to make a turnover in the air. I think we will stick with our running and pass when needed. 

I agree!

Let’s switch it up a little. Here in Mally we know that 21 and 5 are offensive players to watch. Anyone else? How about defensive players? Just tryin to keep it fresh. I’m enjoying g this thread. Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much opportunity for dialogue until now. Lol

Guest Tiger03lb
34 minutes ago, NavyDad0526 said:

This game will be won or lost by the big boys in the trenches. Just like last year. I think we hold an edge in that department. Especially on defense. I’m not saying Black won’t get loose on us but he’s not gonna run all over us. That hasn’t happened all year and we have faced some speedsters before. We have some big fast backs that will punish you and wear you down. Rotating them in and out keeps them fresh. I know I’m biased but I think we have one of the best coaching staffs in Texas in any classification and that also makes a huge difference. Can’t wait until Thursday night. Good luck Jeffy and safe travels.

I think a lot of people will agree with you on our coaching staff. Especially after this season and last year. Only people stopping us, is ourselves. And no that is not a statement that we have won state. We rather earn it and play one game at a time. Everyone knows that about koff. 

8 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

I think a lot of people will agree with you on our coaching staff. Especially after this season and last year. Only people stopping us, is ourselves. And no that is not a statement that we have won state. We rather earn it and play one game at a time. Everyone knows that about koff. 

You know at the first of the year I think there was a big question mark about our line since we lost almost all of them to graduation. But these kids have stepped in a filled those vacancies and have become leaders and answered those questions.  The defense, in my humble opinion, is as good, maybe better, than last year and definitely way faster. We lost a few key players on that side but some kids stepped up and are doing a tremendous job. And having every single one of your skilled kids back is a definite plus.

But the thing that sets us apart from everyone else year in and year out is our coaching staff. We all know that Driskell is an amazing coach and leader but also what coach Watkins has done with that defense this year is nothing short of amazing. All our coaches are great and they love our kids and our kids in turn respect them and play hard for them.

Guest Tiger03lb
2 minutes ago, NavyDad0526 said:

You know at the first of the year I think there was a big question mark about our line since we lost almost all of them to graduation. But these kids have stepped in a filled those vacancies and have become leaders and answered those questions.  The defense, in my humble opinion, is as good, maybe better, than last year and definitely way faster. We lost a few key players on that side but some kids stepped up and are doing a tremendous job. And having every single one of your skilled kids back is a definite plus.

But the thing that sets us apart from everyone else year in and year out is our coaching staff. We all know that Driskell is an amazing coach and leader but also what coach Watkins has done with that defense this year is nothing short of amazing. All our coaches are great and they love our kids and our kids in turn respect them and play hard for them.

I agree 100%. I've been saying this defense is better than last year earlier in the season, everyone gives me a crazy look but honestly they are. 

I'm very surprised by how the oline has shaped up. We faced some big boys this year and they handled their own. 

I know people have questioned some things on the field including me but honestly this staff is really great and they usually step it up as we go into the playoffs. I hope they want to stay here as long as they want too. 

Guest Tiger03lb
1 minute ago, Newtonres7586 said:

Gladewater?? Mercy me that's a long drive for both teams

Yes sir. Jeffy doesn't have that bad of a drive. I think it's an hour. I'm not a fan of the drive but the venue is a good place to play at. At least the superintendent has given the day off on Friday for school. 

Just now, Tiger03lb said:

Yes sir. Jeffy doesn't have that bad of a drive. I think it's an hour. I'm not a fan of the drive but the venue is a good place to play at. At least the superintendent has given the day off on Friday for school. 

That's good I'm a Malakoff die hard fan. Live in Athens.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Jefferson to Gladewater is roughly 45 minutes.  Malakoff  to Gladewater should be less than 2 hours.  Not bad for a playoff game. 

Guest Tiger03lb
Just now, cotton84 said:

Jefferson to Gladewater is roughly 45 minutes.  Malakoff  to Gladewater should be less than 2 hours.  Not bad for a playoff game. 

It's around 1 hour 45 minutes but yes pretty much 2 hours. Drive to isn't bad but driving bad is the pain. Lol. I've been driving it the past few weeks watching some of the district 7 games. Thank god for the arby's in Van. Lol

Guest Tiger03lb
8 minutes ago, FlowJack said:

Don't let #12 get in open space and #6 is another scatback. #3 won the 100m at the regional track meet-if he's even, he's leavin'.  Jefferson has more weapons than you think.

Yeah, I seen them in last weeks game being used on that double reverse and the jet sweep. They got some legs. Track speed is different than football speed. We got a couple of guys that can keep up with them #5 Sparks and #1 Garrett if they play Garrett on defense. But the main threats are #5 & #21 for you guys. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

It's around 1 hour 45 minutes but yes pretty much 2 hours. Drive to isn't bad but driving bad is the pain. Lol. I've been driving it the past few weeks watching some of the district 7 games. Thank god for the arby's in Van. Lol

Splurge this week, go to Cracker Barrel in Lindale. 

7 minutes ago, FlowJack said:

Don't let #12 get in open space and #6 is another scatback. #3 won the 100m at the regional track meet-if he's even, he's leavin'.  Jefferson has more weapons than you think.

We know who they are. Same kids they had last year. We know they’re quick, but so is our defense. They will have to earn it up the middle because our D is to quick side to side. Hopefully for our sake they will spend most of the game watching it from the sideline, like last year, while our offense controls the clock. We shall see. 😉

Guest Tiger03lb
6 minutes ago, Jefferson96Dawgs said:

That stadium was was too small for a 2nd round 3A D1 game

Agreed. I don't think they thought about seating for the fans at all that game. Koff travels really well on away games and during the playoffs. Even last week at Terrell we was packed and they had a big bleachers. 

3 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Can’t really base anything off of playing a team full of underclassmen whose two best players happen to not be playing. 

Geez, did anyone expect West Rusk to lay down against Jefferson because they were missing a couple starters? It happens! Those underclassmen played their rear ends off. They wanted to win just as bad as Jefferson did

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
9 minutes ago, Jefferson96Dawgs said:

Or he can just wear his Rabbit gear and fit right in with Jeffy

There's going to be a lot of GW fans and area fans on y'alls side. Lol. 

Guest Tiger03lb
29 minutes ago, Newtonres7586 said:

That's good I'm a Malakoff die hard fan. Live in Athens.

Awesome. You should fly a koff flag outside. Lol

52 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

I agree 100%. I've been saying this defense is better than last year earlier in the season, everyone gives me a crazy look but honestly they are. 

I'm very surprised by how the oline has shaped up. We faced some big boys this year and they handled their own. 

I know people have questioned some things on the field including me but honestly this staff is really great and they usually step it up as we go into the playoffs. I hope they want to stay here as long as they want too. 

I’ve spent a little time hangin out Coach Lane this week, talk about good coaches and mentors. He’s just one of the best. They’ve been mixing and matching some of the big boys to find the right combo for the o line, and this week might be the best one yet! I love that they keep it fresh week in and week out. Coach Watkins just draws up the schemes that work and this week will be no different. Not to mention, these men are incredible classroom teachers as well. They help all the kids achieve off the field as well.

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
44 minutes ago, Endseeker83 said:

I’ve spent a little time hangin out Coach Lane this week, talk about good coaches and mentors. He’s just one of the best. They’ve been mixing and matching some of the big boys to find the right combo for the o line, and this week might be the best one yet! I love that they keep it fresh week in and week out. Coach Watkins just draws up the schemes that work and this week will be no different. Not to mention, these men are incredible classroom teachers as well. They help all the kids achieve off the field as well.

That's one thing that Driskell has never had a problem with is adjusting players over to different positions helping the team overall. 

Guest Tiger03lb
2 hours ago, Endseeker83 said:

Let’s switch it up a little. Here in Mally we know that 21 and 5 are offensive players to watch. Anyone else? How about defensive players? Just tryin to keep it fresh. I’m enjoying g this thread. Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much opportunity for dialogue until now. 

Offense

Sparks is fun to watch on offense the few times they gave him the ball. Wish they would try to get him more involved on offense. Who else do we got? #17 Jones is a threat to pass to, #2 duce has improved a lot throughout the season as a scat back, really gives a different look with his speed. #12 smith is another deep threat wideout. And then as everyone knows about garrett, davis, rose, and peace.

Defense 

This is kinda hard not to say everyone but the ones that standout are rush, rose, davis, ruiz, sparks, and killingsworth. 

We got a lot of good players on both sides. Some have stepped up in the past few weeks as well.