6A DII RII Area Round: Longview vs Dallas Jesuit

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (11-0) vs Dallas Jesuit Rangers (7-4)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Dallas Jesuit in a close one
    • Dallas Jesuit in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2019 at 01:30 AM

39 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Ay, it's been friendly to us as of late. 

A place we haven't even tried to touch in a while is Corsicana. Not sense Trey Williams and Dekaney beat us that year.

Very bad JU JU at Corsicana....never play there, ever!  All we had to do was kick it away from Trey Williams.  What do we do.  We kick it straight to Trey Williams.  End of story!  Plus always windy!

• Like 1

Lobo Wrap following Longview's 41-10 victory over Temple...

https://www.6atexasfootball.com/forum/main-forum/team-threads/77-official-longview-lobo-thread-home-of-lobo-nation?p=495248#post495248

Highlights..King ties passing TD playoff record, Meredith records 2nd highest rushing yard mark in Lobo history in a playoff game, Lobos win their 19th game in a row at home.

Fun fact about Longview at Lobo Stadium since that 2016 loss to JT...Longview has had ONE single game that's been within three scores since that loss, last season's opener against Lufkin (35-28).

Folks we have been privileged to watch historic games and seasons under John King.  Y’all should have been watching 82 through 96 and then some.  I remember when making it to the second or third round was awesome.   I remember beating Highland Park like a drum then getting robbed against Plano.   Other that that we just couldn’t go very far.    3 state championship appearances and 2 semifinals in 11 years.   That was what dreams were made of back in the day.   We are blessed.   Thank you Coach King and company.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

Folks we have been privileged to watch historic games and seasons under John King.  Y’all should have been watching 82 through 96 and then some.  I remember when making it to the second or third round was awesome.   I remember beating Highland Park like a drum then getting robbed against Plano.   Other that that we just couldn’t go very far.    3 state championship appearances and 2 semifinals in 11 years.   That was what dreams were made of back in the day.   We are blessed.   Thank you Coach King and company.   

Beyond blessed no doubt. King has taken us to an absolutely unbelievable level out in the Pineywoods.

Seeing where JT is, where Lee has been, what Lp just went through, not to mention the 5A programs, just gotta enjoy the run as long as possible.

Never thought we’d see something like what we’re experiencing at Longview.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 85lobooldschool said:

Solid post as usual.

47 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Especially after years and years of 1937 being thrown around and constantly being told that we'd never win the big one (all of this mostly coming from fans of programs currently sitting at home).

We deserve this. Its our time. And its only the beginning.

More good times coming in the future.

• Like 7
  • Stinks 1

34 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Especially after years and years of 1937 being thrown around and constantly being told that we'd never win the big one (all of this mostly coming from fans of programs currently sitting at home).

Absolutely agree.

Beat Jesuit!! Let's get this train rollin!

• Like 2

Welp I'm hopping on the LOBOS bandwagon for the remainder of the playoffs since my team checked out in Bi-district.

So I will not attend this beat down Longview is fixing to hand out I will start spending my gas money next week when the teams start getting better and actually give Longview a good matchup. 

Jesuit 14

Longview 56

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

And, for the record I was one of those Alumni who had thought John King had reached his ceiling. It was going on 20 years as the signal caller and the loss to Denton Guyer in 2010 had sealed it for me. I promise you, you have NEVER seen a more livid and raucous Lobo fanbase immediately following that game. I was NOT a believer but, I have seen John King transition (albeit extremely, slow) his play calling.

I don't know if it's him or the acquisition of Chris Vallery but, he has expanded or been introduced to other options besides the 32 dive and belly left. For example, the forward pass. Man, who knows how we would have fared against Lake Travis had we implemented a passing game that didn't just feature Carey Fortson and a tight end on a drag route that opponents just so happened to forget lingering around on a busted play.

We now have an arsenal that has been developed and they can be LETHAL. Well, we do have ONE dimension in our arsenal that seriously needs to be recalibrated and retooled. It's anybody's best guess on what's wrong with "it".

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

You have a hater giving you dookie emojis and it ain't me. Lol! You must have stepped on one of those smaller schools fan's toes with that statement. As the old adage goes, "A hit dog will holler."

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 2

1 hour ago, Quick said:

And, for the record I was one of those Alumni who had thought John King had reached his ceiling. It was going on 20 years as the signal caller and the loss to Denton Guyer in 2010 had sealed it for me. I promise you, you have NEVER seen a more livid and raucous Lobo fanbase immediately following that game. I was NOT a believer but, I have seen John King transition (albeit extremely, slow) his play calling.

I don't know if it's him or the acquisition of Chris Vallery but, he has expanded or been introduced to other options besides the 32 dive and belly left. For example, the forward pass. Man, who knows how we would have fared against Lake Travis had we implemented a passing game that didn't just feature Carey Fortson and a tight end on a drag route that opponents just so happened to forget lingering around on a busted play.

We now have an arsenal that has been developed and they can be LETHAL. Well, we do have ONE dimension in our arsenal that seriously needs to be recalibrated and retooled. It's anybody's best guess on what's wrong with "it".

I'd say King and Vallery together have been equally important in how diverse our offense has become. Both are great offensive minds that I think benefit from one another but picking up Vallery was huge for us.

We've come along way from the early King era (2004-2007) days where the passing game only consisted of PA pass, then throw up a post or go to Malcolm/David Robinson/Travurus Brown and hope they grabbed it.

Then 08 and 09 came. These years still had a little 04-07 flavor to them but the difference now was, we were seeing the spread more and more. You started seeing actual WR corps instead of just the main WR involved in the gameplan. Carey was the main guy of course but you also had Aaron Hollins and Pete Robertson. But as dangerous as Aaron was with his legs, Longview still didn't have that QB whisperer on staff that AJ really needed.

So, in comes 2010. Vallery's first year. Pete Robertson at QB. This is the year that you really started seeing the WR corps in spread form between Bubba Poole, Tomlinson, EHawk and DT Jackson. We didn't light it up through the air that year although better than past years but you could tell the direction the program was going in.

The very next year, Bivins Caraway breaks Longview's single season passing record. Eric Hawkins goes for 994 yards which at the time, was unheard of by a Longview WR.

Since then, between Bivins Caraway, Chumley, Haynes...every Lobo QB record in the book has been shredded. Not to mention WR and TE records. And it still hasn't effected our ability to run the ball. Heck we are hitting the record books there too lol

It's really the most unique offense that I've seen out there. I'm not kidding, seems like I see at least one new formation or play design every week. S/O to our players for remembering all of these formations man. Even bigger S/O to the coaches for being able to teach it in a way that they can retain it. They run everything from 3TE I to 5 man wide. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quick said:

You have a hater giving you dookie emojis and it ain't me. Lol! You must have stepped on one of those smaller schools fan's toes with that statement. As the old adage goes, "A hit dog will holler."

Yep.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

I'd say King and Vallery together have been equally important in how diverse our offense has become. Both are great offensive minds that I think benefit from one another but picking up Vallery was huge for us.

We've come along way from the early King era (2004-2007) days where the passing game only consisted of PA pass, then throw up a post or go to Malcolm/David Robinson/Travurus Brown and hope they grabbed it.

Then 08 and 09 came. These years still had a little 04-07 flavor to them but the difference now was, we were seeing the spread more and more. You started seeing actual WR corps instead of just the main WR involved in the gameplan. Carey was the main guy of course but you also had Aaron Hollins and Pete Robertson. But as dangerous as Aaron was with his legs, Longview still didn't have that QB whisperer on staff that AJ really needed.

So, in comes 2010. Vallery's first year. Pete Robertson at QB. This is the year that you really started seeing the WR corps in spread form between Bubba Poole, Tomlinson, EHawk and DT Jackson. We didn't light it up through the air that year although better than past years but you could tell the direction the program was going in.

The very next year, Bivins Caraway breaks Longview's single season passing record. Eric Hawkins goes for 994 yards which at the time, was unheard of by a Longview WR.

Since then, between Bivins Caraway, Chumley, Haynes...every Lobo QB record in the book has been shredded. Not to mention WR and TE records. And it still hasn't effected our ability to run the ball. Heck we are hitting the record books there too lol

It's really the most unique offense that I've seen out there. I'm not kidding, seems like I see at least one new formation or play design every week. S/O to our players for remembering all of these formations man. Even bigger S/O to the coaches for being able to teach it in a way that they can retain it. They run everything from 3TE I to 5 man wide. 

This is the sort of thing that defines greatness in just about any field: the ability (and willingness!) to grow, change, evolve and adapt. 

I believe that, given his druthers, King's wants to just line up in the Pro-I and run the ball between the tackles 40-50 times a game, control the clock, and win most games by a score like 21-0. But instead of being hidebound to tradition and personal preference, King understands that a system must be tailored to its personnel, NOT the other way around. 

What's going to be fascinating to see is how the offense continues to change with time. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but looking at the JV, Frosh, and middle school squads, there's a LOT of athletic and talented kids coming up. I look forward to seeing how the Lobo attack continues to progress, and find creative ways to put playmakers in a position to make plays. 

• Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, AKA said:

This is the sort of thing that defines greatness in just about any field: the ability (and willingness!) to grow, change, evolve and adapt. 

I believe that, given his druthers, King's wants to just line up in the Pro-I and run the ball between the tackles 40-50 times a game, control the clock, and win most games by a score like 21-0. But instead of being hidebound to tradition and personal preference, King understands that a system must be tailored to its personnel, NOT the other way around. 

What's going to be fascinating to see is how the offense continues to change with time. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but looking at the JV, Frosh, and middle school squads, there's a LOT of athletic and talented kids coming up. I look forward to seeing how the Lobo attack continues to progress, and find creative ways to put playmakers in a position to make plays. 

Great post.

And no doubt on the upcoming talent. We'll discuss more about it after we make this playoff 🏃for sure.

Go Lobos. Beat Jesuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Beyond blessed no doubt. King has taken us to an absolutely unbelievable level out in the Pineywoods.

Seeing where JT is, where Lee has been, what Lp just went through, not to mention the 5A programs, just gotta enjoy the run as long as possible.

That's a very good point. A lot of people have made the arguments that we face easier opponents than teams in the 80s/90s did. And that it's easier to make the playoffs with the 3-team and eventually 4-team format because "back in the day if you lose 1 game, you could be at home come playoff time". 

But other teams in the area haven't seen the success we have, even with the "easier" opponents and "easier" playoff format. Lee was good for about 4 years (three straight semi-final games, the last one ending in a state championship) and Lufkin was a top team in the state for 5 years (1 state championship, 3 other semi-final appearances from 01-05), but both of them have struggled to make much noise in the postseason. Dunno why- we see Lufkin play Longview closer than anybody year after year, match them with speed and talent, and they can't get out of the 2nd round, or 1st some years. 

• Thanks 3

• Mr. P locked this topic