Running plays in from the sidelines?

BlackBeard

This is not a jab at any one program as my son who started playing football at another program 7 yrs ago had to do this as QB.  

But in this day and age with improved communication why do coaches have a QB constantly running back and forth from the sidelines to bring in plays?  

7 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

It drives me nuts sometimes with GW especially bc we don’t run too complicated of an offense. I understand the clock control portion of it though. 

Yeah especially hate it late in the game when we need to move quickly to preserve the clock. Or when we run a play to the opposite side of the field and the poor Qb has to run 50 yards across the field to get the play. 

2 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

Yeah especially hate it late in the game when we need to move quickly to preserve the clock. Or when we run a play to the opposite side of the field and the poor Qb has to run 50 yards across the field to get the play. 

It makes me nervous about when and if we have to be in a hurry up offense are the kids even we’ll enough versed in it? Our hurry up offense has always seemed like the QB just gotta run to the sidelines and back to huddle faster lol 

1 hour ago, BlackBeard said:

If there is an advantage in running the play in at every down why don't the majority of D1 programs do it?  

I don’t think you can compare high school ball to D1 college ball. Most of the signaling is done by backup QBs at that level. High school programs generally don’t have enough kids to that, especially at the AA/ AAA level. If you notice in college ball, the guys that signal plays in are wearing headsets. How many high school programs can put four kids in headsets and count on them to signal plays in correctly? 

The main reason we always did it was the qb was the only one that could remember the play that long!!! Several times we had kids get half way out to the huddle and turn around and come back, some just called  different play and then some just made one up!!! We finally went to the wrist bands and made it fool proof...we thought...one color and one number...they still messed it up!! Finally just gave up and told the qb to come over every time!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blesseddaily said:

The main reason we always did it was the qb was the only one that could remember the play that long!!! Several times we had kids get half way out to the huddle and turn around and come back, some just called  different play and then some just made one up!!! We finally went to the wrist bands and made it fool proof...we thought...one color and one number...they still messed it up!! Finally just gave up and told the qb to come over every time!!!!

This right here is why we did it when I was playing. The wrist playcards were not around way back then.

2 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

What frustrated me was my son who was the QB for 3 years (and top 10 in his class) was definitely able to understand signals from the sidelines but still had to run round trip from the huddle each play. 

10 hours ago, BlackBeard said:

This is not a jab at any one program as my son who started playing football at another program 7 yrs ago had to do this as QB.  

But in this day and age with improved communication why do coaches have a QB constantly running back and forth from the sidelines to bring in plays?  

This is by all accounts labor intensive!

On 11/16/2019 at 10:48 AM, BlackBeard said:

I think its easier to rotate a WR, TE or RB if you are going to run plays in instead of having a QB run back and forth from the sideline to the huddle.  24-40 seconds isn't a lot of time to continuously do that without penalty

sounds like a blue collar, grind it out team...warehouse style...loading their own truck to make sure they got everything on the invoice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think its easier to rotate a WR, TE or RB if you are going to run plays in instead of having a QB run back and forth from the sideline to the huddle.  24-40 seconds isn't a lot of time to continuously do that without penalty

That was our system back in the day...  every huddle a WR came in with the play. 

49 minutes ago, Tiger7 said:

When you signal the defense has more time to recognize formations when you huddle you make it harder on defenses to recognize formations (if you break fast from the huddle) 

Now this makes more sense then anything to me. Never thought about it that way. 

On 11/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, cotton84 said:

Guess it could sometimes be a paranoid coach worried about signals getting stolen/picked up by opposing team(s). 

I have the answer, ditch all the fancy junk and go back to the Ram style and have only 4 or 5 plays and switch out wingbacks

• LOL! 1

Are they supposed to have microphones and earpieces?  Your new technology argument is dopey to say the least. 

The simplest reason is it is really just easier to have the QB come to the sideline. 

• Thanks 1