Winnsboro vs. Gladewater

chevyman

52 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

IMO, first time around film is more important than recent weeks. Not saying recent isn’t important. 

In most cases I would definitely agree but we were so vanilla against Winny when we met. DJ was still at QB. Robbie wasn’t playing much reciever, so we were just line up and run at ya. 

Without a doubt this one is going to be a tough one for Winny to win. On "paper" it shouldn't be close but I'm betting it will be. If Winny can keep the clock eating running attack going and not turn the ball over it will be close...if not it could be a lop sided win for Gladewater. I have lots of faith in Coach Finney and his staff and if there is a way to win he will figure it out.

I'm taking Winny by a touchdown. 

6 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

Without a doubt this one is going to be a tough one for Winny to win. On "paper" it shouldn't be close but I'm betting it will be. If Winny can keep the clock eating running attack going and not turn the ball over it will be close...if not it could be a lop sided win for Gladewater. I have lots of faith in Coach Finney and his staff and if there is a way to win he will figure it out.

I'm taking Winny by a touchdown. 

I agree with everything but the prediction 😂. GW can’t let Winny have 8-9 minute drives that end with a TD. I feel like we will load the box and then let our corners man up. We cannot start slow and we can’t turn the ball over like we did at the beginning of the Van Alstyne game. One thing I know is that Winny will play hard from beginning to end so we will have to match that same intensity. 

33 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

I agree with everything but the prediction 😂. GW can’t let Winny have 8-9 minute drives that end with a TD. I feel like we will load the box and then let our corners man up. We cannot start slow and we can’t turn the ball over like we did at the beginning of the Van Alstyne game. One thing I know is that Winny will play hard from beginning to end so we will have to match that same intensity. 

I have this as a 2 point game.  I think it will be trench warfare for four quarters.  After the game there will be some key plays to look back on - an untimely turnover, a two point conversion, a fake punt, an onside kick, a big fourth down stop, an injury or a big penalty.  I like the Raiders to prevail but either team can win.

3 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Could the weather be a factor in this game? Not real sure who it would favor more since GW can run the ball very well too. 

The only place I see it affecting the Bears is making us less balanced. Unlike past years we can pass the ball this year. If the weather keeps us from passing we will be more predictable. Since Winnsboro never throws the ball I don’t see the weather really affecting them with the exception of holding onto the ball. 

16 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

The only place I see it affecting the Bears is making us less balanced. Unlike past years we can pass the ball this year. If the weather keeps us from passing we will be more predictable. Since Winnsboro never throws the ball I don’t see the weather really affecting them with the exception of holding onto the ball. 

I think that makes sense. Obviously ball security would be at a premium in those conditions. Will be interesting to keep an eye on that forecast throughout the week to see if it changes any

I think the most intriguing matchup will be the Raiders offense vs. the Bears defense. Despite throwing 2 interceptions I would make an argument that GW has been the only team all year that has held Winnys offense in check for the most part especially from a points standpoint. With that said, we have expanded the attack with more plays and a little different personnel from that first game. I also see just a better understanding and a better execution of the offense over the last several weeks. 

22 minutes ago, chevyman said:

I think the most intriguing matchup will be the Raiders offense vs. the Bears defense. Despite throwing 2 interceptions I would make an argument that GW has been the only team all year that has held Winnys offense in check for the most part especially from a points standpoint. With that said, we have expanded the attack with more plays and a little different personnel from that first game. I also see just a better understanding and a better execution of the offense over the last several weeks. 

Scary part is I think our defense is better now than it was earlier in the year. You’ll see #8 and #12 both on defense which wasn’t the case earlier in the year. We did lose a good linebacker against Hughes Springs so I don’t know the effect of that get since VA didn’t put up much of a fight. 

22 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

Scary part is I think our defense is better now than it was earlier in the year. You’ll see #8 and #12 both on defense which wasn’t the case earlier in the year. We did lose a good linebacker against Hughes Springs so I don’t know the effect of that get since VA didn’t put up much of a fight. 

Agreed. People will look at final score of VA game and think man, GW gave up some points BUT literally the backup defense was in with 10 min left in the third when GW was up 51-7. I think the single most important part of this game is ball security by GW. Yeah it didnt hurt us vs VA cuz we were far superior in terms of talent but it will hurt us if we keep putting the dad gum ball on the turf! 

I would play one on one on outside and load up the box vs Winny. WE HAVE to set the edge though, we got ran on by not setting the edge vs VA a few times. 

19 minutes ago, bearnation said:

Agreed. People will look at final score of VA game and think man, GW gave up some points BUT literally the backup defense was in with 10 min left in the third when GW was up 51-7. I think the single most important part of this game is ball security by GW. Yeah it didnt hurt us vs VA cuz we were far superior in terms of talent but it will hurt us if we keep putting the dad gum ball on the turf! 

I would play one on one on outside and load up the box vs Winny. WE HAVE to set the edge though, we got ran on by not setting the edge vs VA a few times. 

Its definitely going to be strength on strength when Winny has the ball. Staying ahead of the chains will be key this time around for the Raiders cause in that first game it was almost inevitable that something bad was going to happen if we went backwards. Played a big role in that outcome 

1 hour ago, GWBears01 said:

Who did we loose at LB

4 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

Yep we let the district down this past week. 

Man you guys had a great season. At some point there may not be any D8 teams left but I think we made enough of a showing that it should eliminate any doubt about it being a solid district. 

• Like 1

this is going to be a battle!!! Winnsboro is riding high with confidence these past few weeks and the town is really behind them like i havent seen in a very long time. will be a tough matchup with GW for sure. that running back is a STUD!! great job by both teams making it this far and good luck to them both. nothing like playoff football in TX!

17 minutes ago, Raiders05 said:

this is going to be a battle!!! Winnsboro is riding high with confidence these past few weeks and the town is really behind them like i havent seen in a very long time. will be a tough matchup with GW for sure. that running back is a STUD!! great job by both teams making it this far and good luck to them both. nothing like playoff football in TX!

I totally agree with all that. Im not sure theres much better than being able to still be playing football the day after thanksgiving.