Jump to content

Jeff Traylor to UTSA


randomuser
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

How does he fill his coaching staff? Young up and comers? Veterans? 

Good question. I would think he would bring his brother. Not sure if he would bring any other high school Coaches. I'm sure he's had a list put together for a while. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

How does he fill his coaching staff? Young up and comers? Veterans? 

I posted in the the high school forum that it wouldn't surprise me at all for him to bring on Traylor and Turner. I would. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I could see him trying to bring on Alan Metzel (if he can get Coach Metzel & family to move), before Turner...Coach Turner is nearer retirement age. I could see Kurt going to UTSA with Jeff for the right $. 

Coach Metzel is one of the best men you will ever meet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Coach Metzel is one of the best men you will ever meet. 

No doubt. Metzel also pastors a church in winsborro. I just don’t see him leaving. I think turner leaving would be a bigger possibility. He was OC during the “Glory Days” of Gilmer football and Traylor always credited Turner for the offense. It was his masterpiece. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I could see him trying to bring on Alan Metzel (if he can get Coach Metzel & family to move), before Turner...Coach Turner is nearer retirement age. I could see Kurt going to UTSA with Jeff for the right $. 

Correct me if I am wrong.  As a coach at a Texas public university wouldn't Turner benefit financially by taking this job in order to boost his retirement income?  I would assume that coaching at a D1 school would certainly pay more than as an assistant at a Texas high school?  If so, provided that he is even an option, I would take the job and defer retirement a couple of years to make some extra cash with long-term benefits.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Jeff Traylor has orchestrated a unbelievable turnaround for UTSA! DCTF had them picked 6th out of 7 teams in the Conference USA West standings this year. They have 7 wins and if the Rice game gets rescheduled should finish the regular season at 8-4 and a spot in the Conference USA Championship game. Heck of a first season as  College Head Coach for the local boy. Congratulations!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Is it too soon for Traylor to get serious consideration for a power 5 job? Or does he need another year and then a turnaround of a mid-major program before that happens? 

I'd hire Traylor before Shane Beamer. So, y'know, there's that... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, topher805 said:

I think it worked out well for both parties.

Jury is still out on the SFA hire. He hasn't done anything yet. We will see if he can compete for a Southland title like Traylor has done in Conference USA. Terrible decision by SFA to not hire Traylor, IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Is it too soon for Traylor to get serious consideration for a power 5 job? Or does he need another year and then a turnaround of a mid-major program before that happens? 

I would think another 8-9 win Season next year and they will come calling 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Jury is still out on the SFA hire. He hasn't done anything yet. We will see if he can compete for a Southland title like Traylor has done in Conference USA. Terrible decision by SFA to not hire Traylor, IMO. 

He kept us competitive with UTEP and UTSA. We played with Memphis for three quarters. Beat the only SLC team that would play them this fall. As for the rest of the schedule, it really doesn't tell us too much. Beating DII schools isn't anything to get pumped up over. 

I think next year will be telling on the Carthel hire. I will say that everything seems to be trending the right direction. Recruiting has been phenomenal (Back-to-back top-5 classes), and the on field product is meeting the eye test IMO.

As for Traylor at UTSA. He has definitely made an immediate impact. No doubt about that and he is exactly where he needs to be right now. UTSA needs to enjoy him while they can, because I guarantee bigger schools will come knocking sooner rather than later...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

As for Traylor at UTSA. He has definitely made an immediate impact. No doubt about that and he is exactly where he needs to be right now. UTSA needs to enjoy him while they can, because I guarantee bigger schools will come knocking sooner rather than later...

totally agree with this statement...Jeff is a winner from the jump and some big time college will see it really soon and will come grab him to be their head coach. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...