San Augustine vs Refugio

wolfpack76

San Augustine vs Refugio  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• San Augustine
    • Refugio

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/13/2019 at 12:55 AM

8 minutes ago, wolfpack76 said:

I don’t have time to go back thru post but we all know who you’ve picked. I think you even prophesied that SA wouldn’t keep shelbyville out of the end zone yet at the end of the game there was a goose egg on that side of the scoreboard  

Again, show me where I said Sville would do anything in that game. . I talk smack sometimes so I've looked back through all those threads and I never said anything!! 

Nor have I picked against SA all year!! If I did the proof is here if you care to wager. . Save your money though because ultimately you will see i picked SA to win the region. Early on. 

I did pick against the Rams though every week starting with the Shelbyville game. 

To take it a step further you have mentioned several times that you know who I am. Again we can wager and I am a man of my word. . Go ahead. What have you got? 

9 minutes ago, SaPack4Liif3 said:

He did. Every thread that there has been something to say about San Augustine, he had something to say. Stay in Shelbyville or wherever you’re from. Lord knows without my Dad from the early to late 80s, my kinfolks the Bolton’s, Cartwrights, Burrells of the 90s-2000s to my late baby cousin Octavian (arguably the best thing to happen to that program football wise) they would still remain inferior. 

Octavian Burrell is the best 1a/2a (whatever you wanna call it) football player I ever seen. I played against Kevin Pope from Mt Enterprise and he was a 2 way starter at SMU. I played against Reginald David from Tenaha who went on to have a great career at Texas Tech and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. I watched my brother play against Jeffery Wilson who went on to have a great career at north Texas currently in the NFL playing for the 49ers. None of those guys come close to the Greatness that was Octavian Burrell he left this world too soon.

• Like 2

Well i will say this. SA. Always had the athletes even in the 70s and 80s. Just didnt have the coaching. heck I remember being in a district with Newton Crockett Diboll kirbyville and Woodville. Every town said That SA should be a state contender every year. This group has coaching and that to me is the difference in this team

• Like 1

It was a joy to grow up over him. As kids I knew he would be something special from our little pick up games out at granny’s down 353. Tore my heart to pieces to get that phone call and see my family lie there. Still a year later is tough and had to bury my uncle two hours before him. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, SaPack4Liif3 said:

He did. Every thread that there has been something to say about San Augustine, he had something to say. Stay in Shelbyville or wherever you’re from. Lord knows without my Dad from the early to late 80s, my kinfolks the Bolton’s, Cartwrights, Burrells of the 90s-2000s to my late baby cousin Octavian (arguably the best thing to happen to that program football wise) they would still remain inferior. 

The only thing I have said about the current SA team is that they are overrated and in general they have a big advantage in 2a ball simply because of their enrollment to participation ratio. . Just drive through the town!! San Augustine is MUCH bigger than the majority of the towns that have a 2a school. 

SA should be playing 3a ball. Period. 

Agaisnt Refugio they don't have the advantage that they typically have in east texas 2a ball. Refugio has the advantage in a major way. As do teams like Shiner, Mason, and Mart just to name a few. 

Good luck. You will need it. 

9 minutes ago, ProdigyMaker said:

The only thing I have said about the current SA team is that they are overrated and in general they have a big advantage in 2a ball simply because of their enrollment to participation ratio. . Just drive through the town!! San Augustine is MUCH bigger than the majority of the towns that have a 2a school. 

Agaisnt Refugio they don't have the advantage that they typically have in east texas 2a ball. Refugio has the advantage in a major way. As do teams like Shiner, Mason, and Mart just to name a few. 

You do realize that town size has absolutely nothing to do with classification right? It’s high school enrollment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ProdigyMaker said:

But yet they have an enrollment of 195 so I guess u need to be over the UIL realignment as well. What a goob. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lambo said:

You do realize that town size has absolutely nothing to do with classification right? It’s high school enrollment.

I'm well aware of that. There have been several discussions here about it. 

Ultimately the enrollment to participation ratio can create a huge advantage. 

It's a touchy subject and easy to say some things that aren't exactly politically correct. 

I will find the thread later and direct you to it if you want to read it. 

But again yes, I'm very well aware of how enrollment determines classification. 

3 minutes ago, wolfpack76 said:

But yet they have an enrollment of 195 so I guess u need to be over the UIL realignment as well. What a goob. 

Without saying something that could be taken as offensive there is a thread here that discusses this subject in detail. . It might go over your head but if you read it thoroughly at least the seed will be planted. . . Which gives hope that one day you will get it. 

A question for you to ponder though. How do you think particular teams like Mart, Refugio, Mason and Shiner continue to have top 5 teams year in and year out? And it's not genetics, heart, coaching, or any of those things. Those things certainly do play a role but it's not the ultimate answer. 

Snook in basketball is an exception. They literally had a couple of families that kept winning state championships over a period of about 2 decades. There is a girls basketball team as well. Can't call the name right of the top of my head, and there is some bloodline involved in small town success. . But it isn't enough to be top 5 caliber for 20 to 50 years! 

• Stinks 1

I'm out. If anyone wants to discuss the advantages that certain schools have I will be glad to do it in private. There are a few discussions here that goes in depth. 

My prediction is Refugio by a lot. They have a BIG TIME unfair advantage. Good luck to SA. They will need it.

• Stinks 1

13 minutes ago, ProdigyMaker said:

Without saying something that could be taken as offensive there is a thread here that discusses this subject in detail. . It might go over your head but if you read it thoroughly at least the seed will be planted. . . Which gives hope that one day you will get it. 

A question for you to ponder though. How do you think particular teams like Mart, Refugio, Mason and Shiner continue to have top 5 teams year in and year out? And it's not genetics, heart, coaching, or any of those things. Those things certainly do play a role but it's not the ultimate answer. 

Snook in basketball is an exception. They literally had a couple of families that kept winning state championships over a period of about 2 decades. There is a girls basketball team as well. Can't call the name right of the top of my head, and there is some bloodline involved in small town success. . But it isn't enough to be top 5 caliber for 20 to 50 years! 

So now you’re making accusations of recruiting. You’re just a natural born loser. 

7 hours ago, wolfpack76 said:

Thursday, December 12 at The Berry Center, 7PM. Wolves will be the home team. Who you got? 

The Berry Center is nice!!!  Another one of those stadium and basketball arena projects that went way over budget(something like 10 million over budget...I believe total cost was something like 31 million.... the facility belongs to Cypress Falls ISD on Barker Cypress.

If it was on Friday night would prolly go but got to work Friday morning.   Be tuning into some station, or maybe watching on an App like TexanLive.

31 minutes ago, HulaKat said:

The Berry Center is nice!!!  Another one of those stadium and basketball arena projects that went way over budget(something like 10 million over budget...I believe total cost was something like 31 million.... the facility belongs to Cypress Falls ISD on Barker Cypress.

If it was on Friday night would prolly go but got to work Friday morning.   Be tuning into some station, or maybe watching on an App like TexanLive.

We played Refugio there in 2017. Nice place. Hoping for different outcome this time 

2 hours ago, wolfpack76 said:

We played Refugio there in 2017. Nice place. Hoping for different outcome this time 

Yeah, I was at that 2017 game and it got really ugly for SA  That's why I'm surprised the SA coaches didn't press for a different venue.  Do you know if they lost a coin flip or just straight up agreed to play there again?  I know some will say the venue doesn't matter, but for me, if I got smacked hard there before, I'm going to try to get a different venue.

13 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Yeah, I was at that 2017 game and it got really ugly for SA  That's why I'm surprised the SA coaches didn't press for a different venue.  Do you know if they lost a coin flip or just straight up agreed to play there again?  I know some will say the venue doesn't matter, but for me, if I got smacked hard there before, I'm going to try to get a different venue.

It was agreed on before our game Friday between all 3 teams. That 2017 game was a tell of 2 half’s. Hoping we play both this time. SA will be the home team this time so maybe that will change the mojo 

2 minutes ago, Airitout1 said:

Refugio by 2+. SA has a heck of an offense, but don’t think their defense will stop Refugio. Been wrong before though!

I think this game will be who can get the stops. I think both teams can score at will and we don’t need to get into a who has the ball last wins situation. Our defense has stepped up the last 2 weeks, but unless you’ve been at the games you don’t see that. 

1 minute ago, wolfpack76 said:

I think this game will be who can get the stops. I think both teams can score at will and we don’t need to get into a who has the ball last wins situation. Our defense has stepped up the last 2 weeks, but unless you’ve been at the games you don’t see that. 

Definitely. Good to hear about the defense. Honestly, I think I partially feel that way just because of the past few seasons. However, that is not fair to this years team! Good luck and give them hell! Region 4 teams are always good, but beatable! 

9 minutes ago, Airitout1 said:

Definitely. Good to hear about the defense. Honestly, I think I partially feel that way just because of the past few seasons. However, that is not fair to this years team! Good luck and give them hell! Region 4 teams are always good, but beatable! 

Groveton only scored once last night when they had to go more than 25 yards. We turned ball over deep in our own territory on the first or second play of them turning it over on downs to us. We gotta get the first half jitters out in the locker room before coming on the field this week.