Gunter vs Canadian 3A D-2 showdown

wingtveer

State semi-finals  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/14/2019 at 01:30 AM

1 minute ago, Nick2011 said:

Nice, we will be moving back down too. Turned in 317. Got a load of young talent coming up so it should be fun the next 3 or 4 years! 

Yep thats how we are 7th and 8th grade went undefeated and varsity started 7 or so sophmores on both sides of the ball and a couple of freshman got alot of playing time as well

• LOL! 1

I really prefer the west texas district. Holliday and City View are good competition.  Henrietta has also had some good teams as has Nocona. Travel is pretty rough however.  But our old district was very weak.

Gunter and all its fans have great respect for Canadian.  It takes a super effort to get past them, and talk is they are better than last year.  Last year their defense was especially good  allowing 7 to Gunter, and in the final they shut Newton out in the second half.

This one really gets the blood pumping.  Looks like good weather in Vernon, a long drive for both teams. But both teams have had long trips all season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

I really prefer the west texas district. Holliday and City View are good competition.  Henrietta has also had some good teams as has Nocona. Travel is pretty rough however.  But our old district was very weak.

Gunter and all its fans have great respect for Canadian.  It takes a super effort to get past them, and talk is they are better than last year.  Last year their defense was especially good  allowing 7 to Gunter, and in the final they shut Newton out in the second half.

This one really gets the blood pumping.  Looks like good weather in Vernon, a long drive for both teams. But both teams have had long trips all season.

Feeling is mutual. Both teams are generally undersized, have phenomenal conditioning, well coached, and mean. Separate offensive philosophies, but same culture. Always fun to watch!

• Like 1

This game will probably be as close as the Canadian -Abernathy game this past week but I have thought Canadian was the Best team in 3A div 2 all year. Maybe not the first 4 weeks lol. I think they will win it all. I am pulling for reg. 3 if they get there.Canadian wins by 3.

• Thanks 1

All 4 teams are capable of beating each other. I’m pulling for Gunter. Love their style of offense and their scrappiness on D. Can’t beat Texas high school football. The smaller classifications are the best to watch. Their entire communities and neighboring towns support them to the end. JMO. 

• Like 2

I have to begrudgingly (I don't like their coach) hand it to Gunter, for getting this far again. This is where they meet their Waterloo, though. Canadian will be the next 3a D 2 State champion.I hope I'm wrong cause I want Region three to be the one. I have to be realistic and call it like I see it.

I have decided that Paul Pewitt will beat East Bernard, and be at the big dance. East Bernard is good, but PP just has too many weapons this year. East Bernard is a ground and pound team, and well disciplined, but Pewitt will take em I think.

• Like 2

Canadian is well Coach and the players are fundamentally grounded to their assignments on both sides of the ball. I don't see anyone derailing them. They will be your next State Champs.....Paul Pewitt will have a hard time with East Bernard, they run the ball well and will tired out any opposing defense....East Bernard will be facing Canadian for the State Title. 

21 hours ago, Nick2011 said:

I honestly think we will. That’s me being a homer but with this group coming up it’s a pretty good possibility. Y’all will be back in it too. 

See we got some haters laughing at the post.... Prolly some of them 4a schools that dropped and didnt think west rusk or franklin could play with them... Little ole d2 schools showing out

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, Nick2011 said:

Yeah I seen that. You’re probably right about who it is also. They will all see soon enough. Franklin will be back in the State Championship in 2 to 3 years. 

I hope so i think we make a good run next year but the year after will be the year.... With yall bein so young in 2 to 3 years yall will make yalls run

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

17 hours ago, Goldberg said:

Canadian is well Coach and the players are fundamentally grounded to their assignments on both sides of the ball. I don't see anyone derailing them. They will be your next State Champs.....Paul Pewitt will have a hard time with East Bernard, they run the ball well and will tired out any opposing defense....East Bernard will be facing Canadian for the State Title. 

I had the same prediction until PP played Daingerfield. I had in the back of my mind all along that PP was going to be a sleeper of sorts. A sleeper only because all eyes were on the Tigers . Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but the thing that impressed me most about PP is the fact they came back on Daingerfield and not the opposite. The tigers have been good at comebacks all year and have owned the fourth quarter in most games.  It is certainly true that EB may be too strong for PP we will see. If there is audio coverage anywhere I will be listening.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:06 PM, OLEMAN said:

On film Canadian looks good.  I have seen what I think are better Canadian teams.  I felt like something was missing but I can’t really see it.  Just a feeling.  Gunter I am a bit more familiar with.  They are playing with passion and make some of those goose bump type plays.  I like Gunter but I am not sure passion will be enough to take C.  Just too far from ETexas to get a good feel

When Canadian beat Abernathy, that did it for me. Ain't nobody gonna beat the wildcats this year.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:42 PM, Airitout1 said:

Talent wise, this is the most complete team since the 2016 team. There have been a few more pics this year, but many have been tipped of receivers hands. Not an excuse, and hard to explain, but just seems like they shouldn’t have been pics. Ball would deflect straight to a defender. 

We are also going into only our 3rd game with all starters healthy. If we execute and stay healthy, I really like our chances. If we get sloppy, which has happened at times (and happened last night for a while), we will be watching state from the panhande.

That information made me go look at Canadians scoring this year. They are sitting at a whopping 701 for and 214 against. So, it doesn't look like the extra int's has bothered that defense much. When Canadian played Newton last year I saw a scrappy group of kids that will take you to the woodshed, and did against the 🦅 I expect that same culture is present in this group as well. Besides all that I think your coach is a fine man. He showed great respect for Coach Johnston after the State game. I just don't see them losing this year. A State Championship would be well deserved, and they have the team to do it.

1 hour ago, Newtonres7586 said:

I had the same prediction until PP played Daingerfield. I had in the back of my mind all along that PP was going to be a sleeper of sorts. A sleeper only because all eyes were on the Tigers . Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but the thing that impressed me most about PP is the fact they came back on Daingerfield and not the opposite. The tigers have been good at comebacks all year and have owned the fourth quarter in most games.  It is certainly true that EB may be too strong for PP we will see. If there is audio coverage anywhere I will be listening.

I'm using last year measuring stick when Newton played EB..... Newton had a special group (talent and heart) that struggle to defeat EB.....I know they returned key players from last squad....I'm not discrediting PP performance but EB is playing on a different level of football. We shall see this. 

2 minutes ago, Goldberg said:

I'm using last year measuring stick when Newton played EB..... Newton had a special group (talent and heart) that struggle to defeat EB.....I know they returned key players from last squad....I'm not discrediting PP performance but EB is playing on a different level of football. We shall see this. 

I have not had the pleasure of seeing EB this year, so it's hard to have a full grasp of how good they are. It should be a good game.

7 minutes ago, Goldberg said:

Newton was also without its best player. 

• Like 1