Sherrington column: Was it worth leaving the Big XII?

Mr. P

4 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

IM NOT MAD! IM LAUGHING!

Sure you are, buddy. Sure you are. If you were laughing, you wouldn't e-mail Smoaky crying this, now would you? 

Personal attacks and discussion are two separate things.  I complained about your personal attacks of me and others.  I’ll stop there.

20 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Personal attacks and discussion are two separate things.  I complained about your personal attacks of me and others.  I’ll stop there.

Nobody "personally attacked" you. You've proven yourself unwilling or unable to have good faith discussion, but want to take drive-by shots at other teams/programs. 

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

A&M = Good Move

Missouri = Neutral 

Nebraska = Bad move

Colorado = Good move 

My take... 

A&M = good move money-wise, "TBD" everything else. Glad they don't have to deal with "T-sips" anymore.  

Missouri = neutral...  they were an also-ran in the Big XII, now they're an also-ran in SEC. More money though. 

Nebraska = bad move...  rivalries with OU and UT could've kept them relevant. But hey, how about that Big 10 "prestige," eh?

Colorado = "meh" move... they were middling in the Big XII and are middling in the PAC. Probably a better cultural fit.

Just now, AKA said:

My take... 

A&M = good move money-wise, "TBD" everything else. Glad they don't have to deal with "T-sips" anymore.  

Missouri = neutral...  they were an also-ran in the Big XII, now they're an also-ran in SEC. More money though. 

Nebraska = bad move...  rivalries with OU and UT could've kept them relevant. But hey, how about that Big 10 "prestige," eh?

Colorado = "meh" move... they were middling in the Big XII and are middling in the PAC. Probably a better cultural fit.

Naïve Aggie.

Pretty colors, though! 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

1. Your obsessions with A&M prove you to be in a constant state of being triggered. You can't wait to run here daily to release your aggressions and seek attention the way you're doing in this thread. That's fine. There are other outlets, though.

2. Did anyone argue that A&M wasn't "mediocre"?

Since you want to throw that word around, A&M is not "mediocre". Learn the definition of the word before throwing it around. Don't just say it because you saw people on another website say it. You CAN think for yourself. I believe in you. 

3. No, but that's irrelevant. They aren't "naïve" Aggie fans. They're Texas and OU fans who say that the move to the SEC was good for us. So your little theory of it being "naïve Aggies" is wrong. Yet again. 

Obsession?  I can’t help if they’re constantly being talked about here.  I mean, they’re one of the most talked about teams on sdc.  How did you get anger out of my posts?  Yes I’m laughing.  You guys ran to the sec to get better and have improved your bottom line some, while still getting your bottom spanked.

so the trajectory hasn’t changed?  Still mediocre.  Glad you agree.

did you read their responses.  Lateral moves aren’t really beneficial.  Thus the reason it’s called lateral.  Or Texas fan said it was a good move.  But carry on thinking what u want.  

this is me laughing.... ha ha.  No anger

1 minute ago, AKA said:

My take... 

Besides 1 year, A&M’s stature in the world of college football has stayed the same as far as record expectations from everyone outside of college station

• Thanks 1

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Obsession?  I can’t help if they’re constantly being talked about here.  I mean, they’re one of the most talked about teams on sdc.  How did you get anger out of my posts?  Yes I’m laughing.  You guys ran to the sec to get better and have improved your bottom line some, while still getting your bottom spanked.

so the trajectory hasn’t changed?  Still mediocre.  Glad you agree.

did you read their responses.  Lateral moves aren’t really beneficial.  Thus the reason it’s called lateral.  Or Texas fan said it was a good move.  But carry on thinking what u want.  

this is me laughing.... ha ha.  No anger

The program was "never mediocre". Do you know what mediocre means? 

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Besides 1 year, A&M’s stature in the world of college football has stayed the same as far as record expectations from everyone outside of college station

Nah, the expectations of a lot of them have been the same since before when we were in the SEC LOL

Remember when we hired Fran? There were people legit convinced we would be competing for a national title in 2003 if we got Fran, with the game @OU being the one that could derail it. Maaaaan.

3 minutes ago, AKA said:

My take... 

How can it be good but to be determined later?  Honest question.  

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Nah, the expectations of a lot of them have been the same since before when we were in the SEC LOL

Remember when we hired Fran? There were people legit convinced we would be competing for a national title in 2003 if we got Fran, with the game @OU being the one that could derail it. Maaaaan.

Haha I guess you are right.  

9 minutes ago, AKA said:

My take... 

Yeah Colorado is more of a "meh" move than a good one. 

When Nebraska cut ties with OU and UT rivalry, it was downhill from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Haha I guess you are right.  

So on that note... that A&M is about where we were before moving to the SEC (meaning that was a push), consider the following:

1. We were told we weren't going to make a bowl game for years. Far cry from THAT fear mongering.

2. We make WAY more money and our fans get to see our team's games in just about every sport on the SEC Network, something we wouldn't have in the Big XII. 

3. We get to play fresh opponents now, not the same teams we played for 100 years. 

4. We're a more cultural fit with the likes of LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Mississippi State, etc. 

5. We play in front of big crowds most weeks. The SEC stadiums are huge and usually packed. Outside of OU and Texas, we didn't really get that in the Big XII. 

Consider all that, and I'd say it's a pretty good move. 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

How can it be good but to be determined later?  Honest question.  

Honest answer: because I'm not sure yet. 

On one hand, I think it's been very good for them to try to develop rivalries with teams like LSU and Alabama. They've even won some thrilling games on a national stage. It certainly hasn't hurt them recruiting-wise. 

On the other hand, I'm not sold on the idea that Jimbo will take them to the heights they're expecting. And as Mav said, outside of a Heisman and one really good year, A&M's overall stature is virtually unchanged. 

Thus...  TBD

2 minutes ago, AKA said:

Honest answer: because I'm not sure yet. 

On one hand, I think it's been very good for them to try to develop rivalries with teams like LSU and Alabama. They've even won some thrilling games on a national stage. It certainly hasn't hurt them recruiting-wise. 

On the other hand, I'm not sold on the idea that Jimbo will take them to the heights they're expecting. And as Mav said, outside of a Heisman and one really good year, A&M's overall stature is virtually unchanged. 

Thus...  TBD

See my points above. 

Stature- Unchanged

Money- Positive

Exposure/Fan Engagement- Positive

Culture- Positive

Fresh opponents- Positive

bUt MuH mEdIoCrE

26 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Not really.  I’m laughing

Ok just saying sometimes good things happen to people you dont like. You can't totally dismiss facts that goes against your argument. I realize you are a Texas fan and want them to #### in mediocrity , that is simply not happening. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

See my points above. 

Stature- Unchanged

Money- Positive

Exposure/Fan Engagement- Positive

Culture- Positive

Fresh opponents- Positive

My opinion: unchanged.

Once A&M starts competing for conference titles on the regular, I'll be glad to tip my cap and say it was all for the better. 

As it stands now, in my opinion, A&M is at the same level in the SEC as it was in the Big XII. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

My opinion: unchanged.

Once A&M starts competing for conference titles on the regular, I'll be glad to tip my cap and say it was all for the better. 

As it stands now, in my opinion, A&M is at the same level in the SEC as it was in the Big XII. 

No denying that. 

If you focus only on the level the team is playing it, then yes, it was a lateral move. 

I'm looking at far more than wins/losses which have been unchanged, as you say.