Joe Willis Named Head Football Coach at Tyler Lee...

Stoney

9 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

I think Willis will do well there. He can get Lee going.

I'm not sure that it is a better job than Heritage though. CH will draw a lot of interest 

Let’s not act like the place was in shambles when Traylor left. The current staff had that place going up. Have a chance to be really good next year. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, tdJesus said:

Let’s not act like the place was in shambles when Traylor left. The current staff had that place going up. Have a chance to be really good next year. 

Dont know about 'really good' but Lee has horses to be a playoff team because of that 2022 group.

The problem for them is thats the only good group in the program.

6 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Curious why he would leave CHHS for Tyler Lee? I am not familiar with either situation, but just through a short amount of research it seems that he has been successful at Colleyville Heritage and had MUCH better facilities.

Anyone have any insight?

Wonder if he just wanted a change...some coaches get bored so to speak and need a new challenge.  I have no connection so just offering an opinion.

3 hours ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Curious why he would leave CHHS for Tyler Lee? I am not familiar with either situation, but just through a short amount of research it seems that he has been successful at Colleyville Heritage and had MUCH better facilities.

Anyone have any insight?

I don't know about much better facilities. Lee is in the process of getting a brand new school and Rose Stadium has definitely been updated. But like you said, you are not familiar with either situation. 

1) He got a nice raise

2) Cost of living 

3) He will have to play politics at Lee, but NOTHING like at Colleyville

4) Football is king in East Texas not at Colleyville

5) Coordinators teaching load is much, much better

6) Middle school setup is better

7) He's maxed out Colleyville; probably not much left to accomplish

8 ) If Tyler gets the indoor facilities that are talked about there will be no difference in the facilities

9) Did I mention that raise? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

1) He got a nice raise

2) Cost of living 

8 ) If Tyler gets the indoor facilities that are talked about there will be no difference in the facilities

If they gave him a nice raise, I'm assuming Coach Holmes got the same deal. The tax rate is cheaper in Tyler.

4 minutes ago, VonG said:

If they gave him a nice raise, I'm assuming Coach Holmes got the same deal.

No idea what Coach Holmes makes, but what Tyler ISD is paying Willis is much better than what GCISD was paying Willis....

Also keep in mind salaries in education are also based on experience..someone who has 20 years in can rightfully justified to have a greater salary than someone 10 years in

7 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

No idea what Coach Holmes makes, but what Tyler ISD is paying Willis is much better than what GCISD was paying Willis....

Also keep in mind salaries in education are also based on experience..someone who has 20 years in can rightfully justified to have a greater salary than someone 10 years in

True, but Tisd has kept the coaching salary pretty much the same since Coach Wilson and Coach Owen's. I know  Coach Willis was making a $114,000 plus at Colleyville. The way you are saying he got a nice raise, it must be nice. I also look at what school has been the most successful in Tisd. JT has definitely made more money than Lee as for as ticket sale and playoff runs.

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

1) He got a nice raise

2) Cost of living 

Wow colleyville has politics with there sports like that? I could see it in baseball but not football or any other sport there, I mean they had a few good runs but not enough to acting like they have multiple titles in football especially. There an average program imo.  

6 hours ago, randomuser said:

Personally if I were the HC at CHHS I would never leave for Tyler Lee. Colleyville may be opening a new HS to pull from Heritage is the only reason I can ascertain.  But I’m not coach Willis, just know he’s leaving a great place and job. 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t either, Tyler Lee has old money politics that’s WHOLE different level then new money politics in colleyville. Plus colleyville has a better program than lee also. Lee is only got maybe one year maybe of a good classes and then that’s it. Feel bad for him in way because lee has these false hopes and they are gonna put unfair pressure on him when he doesn’t have the talent to meet there expectation. 

6 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Wow colleyville has politics with there sports like that? I could see it in baseball but not football or any other sport there, I mean they had a few good runs but not enough to acting like they have multiple titles in football especially. There an average program imo.  

Baseball at Colleyville is a clear number one...the other sports are a pain because you have so many people and parents with money who have an opinion

The old money crowd at Lee is maybe 10%??? Its 50+ percent at Heritage...that can beat you down 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Baseball at Colleyville is a clear number one...the other sports are a pain because you have so many people and parents with money who have an opinion

The old money crowd at Lee is maybe 10%??? Its 50+ percent at Heritage...that can beat you down 

You don't know Lee then.

I'm guessing if Willis' offered salary at Lee was well out of scale with Holmes, its possible Holmes got a raise as well....in fact I'd say its probably quite likely...

I'm guessing he got at least $125,000.

I'm guessing if Willis' offered salary at Lee was well out of scale with Holmes, its possible Holmes got a raise as well....in fact I'd say its probably quite likely...

May explain why Holmes decided to stay then. According to him, he was really considering leaving JT this offseason.