2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

On 12/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Mavchamp said:

Sounds like everyone is looking for a QB in 2020 except for Texas High.

I know we will be..... ugh.  

Wouldn't be shocked to see Pine Tree as the pick for the district championship next season.  Their QB is a beast. 

Pine Tree, Marshall and Texas High all make for a run at DC..don’t really know why you say they struggled in 17 tbh. Beat everyone on the schedule handily in district with their backup.. Qb got hurt in the first quarter in the first district game in 17 against Marshall or more than likely that game is a toss-up at grim but who knows ...the final was 35-27..? they finished  winning the last 6 games on the schedule and then they got beat by HP in the last 2 min of the game 56-49 at the star..first round of course lol. finished 7-4 (first year head coach)... 18 was rough to say the least. This year I think thigh played well. 7-5 (3 of the 5 were without QB who I think will be back)  believe that win against lufkin says a lot about the players and coaching staff. Two 7 win seasons in your first three years is a great start. thigh went 10-1 in 16 the year before he got there.. I do know they Return 8 on this years defense. Only lost one guy upfront  

Dont think thigh should be picked to win anything yet but they did beat Kilgore I think without their qb (30-14). Kilgore beat 4 teams from this district if it was to play out like that.

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I honestly think Pine Tree is going to be a heavy favorite by the media.  Their offense is going to hum.  Tons of talent coming back on both sides.

They won’t need an outstanding defense to win. Just a decent defense will suffice for the points they will score. 

Until PT proves they’re the favorite for a reason, I just can’t pick them to win anything.

Meant to say 18.... not 17!  Thanks for the correction! 

Pine Tree NO doubt had some poor games in 19. But the culprit was mostly their defense, not their offense. 

I could be wrong about PT in 2020.  But I honestly think they will make a serious run at the DC 

• Like 3

Nacogdoches 11-4 0.733 913 594 1 L
Lufkin 8-3 0.727 646 559 2 W
Hallsville 9-6 0.600 826 850 1 W
Whitehouse 5-5 0.500 494 465 3 L
Marshall 4-5 0.444 525 545 3 L
Pine Tree 5-7 0.417 579 674 1 L
Jacksonville 2-4 0.333 299 359 2 W
John Tyler 2-5 0.286 386 462 2 L

Basketball season is a few weeks old and we are still a few weeks away from district play. Nac is off to  good start, they are led By SFA Committ Nana, they also have a 6ft 7 Freshman to add to a team returning 4 of their 5 starters from District Co-Champion team from last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Holmes is tripping out lmao. This man literally went on Twitter and said he Is fine with running the same plays when they work..... but they never worked lmao that’s why we were 3-8 😂😂😂😂. Hence why he doesn’t have state chip and the coaches that agree with him ain’t got one either 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Birds of a feather flock together with no state championship ring on they finger. Smh. 

6 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Holmes is tripping out lmao. This man literally went on Twitter and said he Is fine with running the same plays when they work..... but they never worked lmao that’s why we were 3-8 😂😂😂😂. Hence why he doesn’t have state chip and the coaches that agree with him ain’t got one either 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Birds of a feather flock together with no state championship ring on they finger. Smh. 

I never understood the way he took to Twitter. No reason to be airing all that drama as he has done over the years. But to each their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

I never understood the way he took to Twitter. No reason to be airing all that drama as he has done over the years. But to each their own.

He talks like he has all these rings or something I don’t get it.... like dude you got bounced in first round simmer down. 2018 went to his head I think and he forgot what happen this year. 

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

He talks like he has all these rings or something I don’t get it.... like dude you got bounced in first round simmer down. 2018 went to his head I think and he forgot what happen this year. 

Sounds like a former Marshall coach. 

All talk.  Mostly hot air. Trouble follows him everywhere he goes. 

He even continues to meddle even though he in Dallas. 

Might wanna concentrate on beating someone in the second round instead of worrying about a little pissant 5A program in the woods.

Like you said..... birds of a feather. I know he was craving a matchup with JT.  They probably besties. 

I don’t think anyone can be a favorite yet. T-High known for underperforming last few years. Pine tree loses 3 stud WRs and much of O-line. Marshall has 9 returning on offense, including 4 o-line and all WRs and RB. Gonna be interesting to see development in all programs until August. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, rocketpop said:

I don’t think anyone can be a favorite yet. T-High known for underperforming last few years. Pine tree loses 3 stud WRs and much of O-line. Marshall has 9 returning on offense, including 4 o-line and all WRs and RB. Gonna be interesting to see development in all programs until August. 

Eh.

I don't think Texas High has underperformed at all. They just simply haven't had the talent at T High. Last season was a good season for them IMO. They'll improve dropping divisions.

• Like 1

Marshall has a lot returning in 2020.... but we have some serious holes to fill. 

We need a QB.  Seems to be a never ending story for us.   We had a strong QB on the 9th grade level... but is he ready for Friday nights?  Our top JV prospect would rather ride the pine at Carthage..... so.... 👋

Burris has got to be one of the hardest working kids in HS football. Kid has the heart of a champion and a work ethic of Peyton Manning.  But he’s struggled the last two seasons at back up. 

Spring development will be crucial for QB. 

Defense will have some work to do. Losing a good amount.  

2020 will officially be Griedl’s team. 19 was still more a product of the previous coach. So I’m excited to see it shift more towards the current staff. 

Hearing some grapevine rumbles. Will see if it’s true in coming weeks I suppose. 

On 12/12/2019 at 8:48 AM, NODAYSOFFTX said:

According to DCTF this is our predicted district next year....

Longview

John Tyler

Lancaster 

Highland Park

Midlothian 

Red Oak 

West Mesquite

Man Talk about not making the playoffs for JT possibly lol. This would be a monster district. The Top two teams coming out this district would have definitely earned it!!

Ohh wow. Now that would be fun. Would love to see HP vs Longview. John Tyler gave HP all they wanted in 2018. Lancaster ain’t no slouch. They make deep playoff runs pretty regularly. Midlothian seems to be ascending. Finished 6-6, 9-3, and 8-3 last 3 years after a lot of losing seasons. Almost beat Aledo this year. I hope this district happens. Will be very fun to follow.

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Sounds like a former Marshall coach. 

All talk.  Mostly hot air. Trouble follows him everywhere he goes. 

He even continues to meddle even though he in Dallas. 

Might wanna concentrate on beating someone in the second round instead of worrying about a little pissant 5A program in the woods.

Like you said..... birds of a feather. I know he was craving a matchup with JT.  They probably besties. 

Lol! They probably are, and yea I could see that being a preaseason game for JT. Holmes And Mathis worry more about looking good over getting a W. That’s why both program are in the state they are in and they blame everyone but them self. Y’all are coaches so you have control over everything in the program. So anything that’s happens falls on you. 

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Ohh wow. Now that would be fun. Would love to see HP vs Longview. John Tyler gave HP all they wanted in 2018. Lancaster ain’t no slouch. They make deep playoff runs pretty regularly. Midlothian seems to be ascending. Finished 6-6, 9-3, and 8-3 last 3 years after a lot of losing seasons. Almost beat Aledo this year. I hope this district happens. Will be very fun to follow.

I doubt the district happens, but man alive, it definitely would be fun.

Longview has played HP since the mid 80s, have only played Lancaster once back in 2008 before their current deep runs began, history with JT is well known. We've heard from Stepp that Red Oak is improving a lot. Midlothian, I saw take on South Oak Cliff this year, and well it'd be nice for a different team I guess haha. They run a similar offense to what Longview fans saw against Tascosa. Poor West Mesquite for sure.

But again, doubt that it happens.

Lufkin 12-4 0.750 918 800 1 L
Nacogdoches 14-7 0.667 1,265 891 1 L
Marshall 10-7 0.588 1,015 957 2 L
Hallsville 12-9 0.571 1,200 1,176 2 L
Pine Tree 10-10 0.500 898 1,007 1 L
Whitehouse 5-8 0.385 617 621 6 L
Jacksonville 3-5 0.375 410 450 1 L
John Tyler 2-6 0.250 445 535 3 L

This is district 16-5a- Lufkin and Nac are the early favorites, with district play starting Friday. Lufkin travels to Nac to start district on Friday night. 

These two teams were co-champions last year, each winning on the others home floor. I think Pine Tree and Hallsville will fight it out for 3rd and 4th. Marshall seems to be much improved from last year, and JT  is struggling to start the season. 

• intheknow changed the title to 16-5A Boys Basketball

Marshall had a great showing at the Paris tourney over the weekend. 

Had wins over North Forney, Commerce, Not sure of who the other wins were against.  

We lost to state ranked Hot Springs 59-57. 

Hopefully finding our stride just in time for district.   

33 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Intrigued to see how the district looks next season as well with realignment. Didn't realize T High/Mt Pleasant/S Springs wasn't in the district with y'all.

Yeah it should be interesting adding Longview to 5a, will bring MP, SS,TH, Greenville into the East Texas conversation. I think the realignment will be just as interesting for the non-football sports. Volleyball, basketball, softball will change the district dynamic. Could possible change an entire region for swimming for LP, WH and Nac, these 3 go to College St for regionals and it is the fastest region in the state. TH, MP, PT go to dallas regional, for swimming. 

6 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Dave campbell has an updated realignment prediction.  Region 3- Hallsville, jack, PT, marshall, mp. Nac, Texas high, Winehouse 

region 2- SS, denison. Royse city, princeton. North forney, poteet, greenville, forney, crandall

That’s exactly what I predicted.  
Hard to arrange I-30 and I-20 5A any other way. 

But.... we are talking UIL. 

• LOL! 1

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread