2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

6 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

We just aren’t as good as last year talented yes but still not as good.

The Lufkin game last week was the first time all year the Nac. team has played together for an entire game due to injuries. I did not see last nights game so I am not saying that is the reason they lost this one. I am saying it is too early to judge whether this team is as good as last year. I have seen every home game, and NANA has played limited minutes, since spraining his ankle against Hudson. They are incorporating a freshman and 2 sophomores into their rotation. 

3 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

The Lufkin game last week was the first time all year the Nac. team has played together for an entire game due to injuries. I did not see last nights game so I am not saying that is the reason they lost this one. I am saying it is too early to judge whether this team is as good as last year. I have seen every home game, and NANA has played limited minutes, since spraining his ankle against Hudson. They are incorporating a freshman and 2 sophomores into their rotation. 

i was there. injuries or not this team is different then last year's and it was to be expected we will still make the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

He just got there geez . Expectations can't be that high. 

1. Make the playoffs is top priority. Already expecting more in the first year kinda unrealistic. 

I did meant leaving on his own. Nac has never had the history of getting rid of coaches they leave on their own.

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 2
John Tyler beat Nacogdoches 57-48
Marshall beat Whitehouse 53-46
Lufkin beat Jacksonville  81-64
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 58-42

JT had the upset of the night with their win over Nac.  Marshall beat WH, and Halllsville beat PT to keep three teams unbeaten at the top of the standings.  Nac dropped to 4th place.  LP beat Jax to pull into a tie with Nac.  PT and and Jac remain winless.

Standings

Marshall (2-0) , (12-7)
Hallsville (2-0) , (14-9)
John Tyler (2-0) , (4-8)
Nacogdoches (1-1) (16-8)
Lufkin (1-1) , (12-6)
Pine Tree (0-2), (10-12)
Jacksonville (0-2) , (4-6)

---------------------------------------------------
16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 4:
Jacksonville beat Lufkin 57-19
John Tyler beat Nacogdoches 36-31
Whitehouse beat Marshall 39-35
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 44-32

Jacksonville seized control of the district lead by dominating Lufkin Tuesday night.  The loss dropped LP into a tie for second place with Whitehouse.  JT beat Nac to pull into a tie for third.  Hallville for their first district win by beating PT.  Marshall is winless.

Standings
Jacksonville 4-0
Lufkin 3-1
Whitehouse 3-1
John Tyler 2-2
Nacogdoches 2-2
Hallsville 1-3
Pine Tree 1-3
Marshall (0-4)
---------------------------------------------------
15-5A girls start district play on Jan 10th
15-5A boys start district play on Jan 17th

That district has 6 teams instead of 8.....so they get a later start.

As far as the coaching change...... I would have two COMPLETE GUESSES.....

1.  Pine Tree--- is he headed to UTSA?

2.  Hallsville-  Bobcats have REALLLLLLY struggled the last 2 seasons.

Seems like everyone else is kosher for at least another year........  Now.... some could be on the hot seat after 2020.... Nac.  MP.  Jax.

I think the staffs at Marsh, WH, THS are set for a while unless an opportunity too good to pass up comes to any of them.

All a guessing game really.  It's a free-for-all this time of year.

Just now, YoungBuckCoach said:

possibilities would be something like...

Longview

Marshall

Carthage

PG

Texas High

Lufkin

who am i missing??

He said 5A.

Longview- King isn't going anywhere.  At least not until his daughter graduates LHS.  Lobos should roll in their new 5A district. 

Marshall- Don't see Griedl going anywhere.  The 2020 squad will officially be HIS team.  Most of the '19 squad had played for the former coach.  Pretty exciting things ahead it seems.

PG/Carthage are 4A.

Texas High.... don't see him going anywhere.  Not after the huge turn around last season.  Dropping to D2 immediately makes them a district title contender.

Lufkin..... There are some LP fans that are ready for it to happen.  But seems like the Powers That Be are happy with the status quo in Lufkin.

Sulp Springs...... how long will the Wildcats continue to struggle?  That state title is over a decade ago and it's mostly been ugly since.

MP..... Tigers were greatly improved in 2019.... I think they give another year or so to let things grow...see where they go.

PT...... Pine Tree....IMHO.... is on the verge of becoming an annual contender for district titles.  As long as they can keep this staff intact.

Hallsville...... man.  Past two years have been BRUTAL.  Never thought I'd see the Bobcats struggle like they have.  

Whitehouse...... Wildcats seem to be in a good place.  District contender.  Playoff wins....

Jacksonville...... tough read.  Indians have numbers problems.  Depth issues.  Wins are few and far between at the moment.  

Nac...... 2019 was a shock for me for the Dragons.  They laid an egg.  No doubt about it IMHO.  If they do the same in 2020.... could get ugly.  Gotta give the guy some time though.  We shall see.

45 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Hard to tell.... He's been coming unhinged on Twitter for a long time now

My opinion on it isn't based on his twitter tirades (though he did do the eye emoji under Stepp's tweet). I just don't think JT is moving in the right direction right now. Especially this coming season.

10 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

My opinion on it isn't based on his twitter tirades (though he did do the eye emoji under Stepp's tweet). I just don't think JT is moving in the right direction right now. Especially this coming season.

With the talent JT has coming in this season, SHOULD have them back to there old self for the next 2-3 years after this season at least. Holmes lived off coach rush’s talent for the early part of his head coaching career and when that ran out after 2014 it has not been good for him outside of 2016 and 2018. 2015, 2017,2019 were all bad years. Seems like he can only be good every other year. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

He said 5A.

Longview- King isn't going anywhere.  At least not until his daughter graduates LHS.  Lobos should roll in their new 5A district. 

Marshall- Don't see Griedl going anywhere.  The 2020 squad will officially be HIS team.  Most of the '19 squad had played for the former coach.  Pretty exciting things ahead it seems.

PG/Carthage are 4A.

Texas High.... don't see him going anywhere.  Not after the huge turn around last season.  Dropping to D2 immediately makes them a district title contender.

Lufkin..... There are some LP fans that are ready for it to happen.  But seems like the Powers That Be are happy with the status quo in Lufkin.

Sulp Springs...... how long will the Wildcats continue to struggle?  That state title is over a decade ago and it's mostly been ugly since.

MP..... Tigers were greatly improved in 2019.... I think they give another year or so to let things grow...see where they go.

PT...... Pine Tree....IMHO.... is on the verge of becoming an annual contender for district titles.  As long as they can keep this staff intact.

Hallsville...... man.  Past two years have been BRUTAL.  Never thought I'd see the Bobcats struggle like they have.  

Whitehouse...... Wildcats seem to be in a good place.  District contender.  Playoff wins....

Jacksonville...... tough read.  Indians have numbers problems.  Depth issues.  Wins are few and far between at the moment.  

Nac...... 2019 was a shock for me for the Dragons.  They laid an egg.  No doubt about it IMHO.  If they do the same in 2020.... could get ugly.  Gotta give the guy some time though.  We shall see.

Stepp did not say 5A today.

The one I was talking about yesterday was the 5A coach going to Grand Saline. 

These are 2 different jobs

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

He said 5A.

PG/Carthage are 4A.

Coach King's daughter goes to Cumberland Academy in Tyler. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://tylerpaper.com/sports/highschool/steelie-king-signs-gymnastic-scholarship-with-twu/article_6b4403da-074d-11ea-98a2-47e1e1d8bc17.amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwjfhJbO8ffmAhWNXc0KHVlNAvEQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw064UMXltbdjoY3IdotY7vz&ampcf=1

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread