2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Things are changing and the CDC and others have said that Texas will reach their COVID peak in or around April 29th.  That is very close to May 4th, the date that most school districts have set and planned their  online school work for students.   This virus is a day by day thing, cases in Houston are increasing, currently over 2000.   They are the 6th largest city in the nation, that should probably surprises few people.  Texas is averaging about 600- 700 new cases a day right now.  The State has not flatten the curve, but they tell us we are close, its April 29th.

https://www.kxan.com/news/how-close-is-texas-to-flattening-the-curve/

East Texas, generally rural East Texas have far fewer cases.   I'm not a medical guy, but the chances of catching this virus is still low, IF you wash your hands, don't touch your face, your relevantly healthy and practice smart distancing, your probably okay because they tell us 98% of these cases are mild.  If your already sick with anything respiratory right now, stay home and stay away from people.   Schools may need to start checking students and teachers temperature before they enter school, or do it for people in general entering a business or any venue (football stadium, ball field or gym).  Some new necessary changes that may be the normal from now on.   Then again, getting more healthy people exposed may end this thing much quicker, and then you have more with immunity, which you won't get by staying inside.   Older folks with health issues, may need to continue to isolate a couple more months longer.

IF they were able to continue and finish high school spring sports, what caliber of play would you see after such a layoff?   Do all teams come back or do you take the top four team from each district?, according to record when the isolation started and have a playoff tournament.  Then go from there.  What is fair? OR,  just scrap the spring sports, have a school graduation,  when it can happen and just move on to what is next. A new school year in August?

IF the state says it is ok for schools to resume, they will still let each district decide if they want to go back (just as they did when schools started releasing in March. Some released a week and a half before others) So if some go back, a lot of the big city schools may not. So even if the UIL resumes spring sports, those schools will not be able to participate.  

19 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Things are changing and the CDC and others have said that Texas will reach their COVID peak in or around April 29th.  That is very close to May 4th, the date that most school districts have set and planned their  online school work for students.   This virus is a day by day thing, cases in Houston are increasing, currently over 2000.   They are the 6th largest city in the nation, that should probably surprises few people.  Texas is averaging about 600- 700 new cases a day right now.  The State has not flatten the curve, but they tell us we are close, its April 29th.

https://www.kxan.com/news/how-close-is-texas-to-flattening-the-curve/

East Texas, generally rural East Texas have far fewer cases.   I'm not a medical guy, but the chances of catching this virus is still low, IF you wash your hands, don't touch your face, your relevantly healthy and practice smart distancing, your probably okay because they tell us 98% of these cases are mild.  If your already sick with anything respiratory right now, stay home and stay away from people.   Schools may need to start checking students and teachers temperature before they enter school, or do it for people in general entering a business or any venue (football stadium, ball field or gym).  Some new necessary changes that may be the normal from now on.   Then again, getting more healthy people exposed may end this thing much quicker, and then you have more with immunity, which you won't get by staying inside.   Older folks with health issues, may need to continue to isolate a couple more months longer.

IF they were able to continue and finish high school spring sports, what caliber of play would you see after such a layoff?   Do all teams come back or do you take the top four team from each district?, according to record when the isolation started and have a playoff tournament.  Then go from there.  What is fair? OR,  just scrap the spring sports, have a school graduation,  when it can happen and just move on to what is next. A new school year in August?

I am pretty sure the seniors and parents of those seniors want to see their kid finish their career in some fashion. This will be the last time many of these kids pick up a bat, you also have the ones that have college recruiting tied to the season as well. Club ball still provides a chance for some of the top tier talent to play out the rest of the year. 

As for the #s I don't trust 1 thing that the media puts out. They are the ones that started this mess, for a virus that is still only infecting 1% of our population. The flu does far more then this yearly!! The #s are also being skewed by how they are classifying things. I have family members in the medical field and they are being told to classify any death from respiratory or heart related illnesses as a COV-ID19 death. I am not trying to get into a debate on this so don't start lecturing me and throwing #s at me. 

I am ready for this to be over with and us get back to talking sports, talking smack to each other and rooting on our favorite teams!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

Yep. 4th..and growing.

Read an article where it will pass Chicago, who is in decline , by 2025 or so.

That puts 3 Texas cities in the top 10?  5 Texas cities in the top 13.

4.  Houston 
7.  San Antonio
9.  Dallas
11.  Austin
13. Fort Worth

And El Paso is on the grow too at #22.

Interesting to note.... 14 of the FASTEST growing cities in the USA are in Texas:

Frisco, Sugar Land, McKinney, Pearland, Round Rock, Midland, League City, College Station, Allen, Denton, Austin, Richardson, Fort Worth, Odessa

I think the push for splitting 6A... and/or the creation of 7A is coming sooner than later.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:13 PM, Mavchamp said:

Very excited about the turf.  Looks like it will be styled after Jacksonville’s.... which IMHO is the best looking turf in the region. 

The black end zones look fantastic.  Wouldn’t have guessed that.  But it’s a great decision. 

Updated the website a bit: 

https://www.marshallmavericks.net

Always open to suggestions.  

turf looks great. i guess since texas high hasnt been in district the past few years most teams will get to see their "new" turf field. i still kinda miss them having grass but the turf is really nice. 

6 hours ago, txk85 said:

turf looks great. i guess since texas high hasnt been in district the past few years most teams will get to see their "new" turf field. i still kinda miss them having grass but the turf is really nice. 

I haven’t been to grim  since we played them my freshman year in 2003. 

As we all may have suspected but really didn't want to accept.  The remaining 2019-2020  school year is cancelled and all remaining UIL 2020 Spring sports and Championships cancelled by the UIL.

https://www.kltv.com/2020/04/17/uil-cancels-all-remaining-spring-activities-state-championshipsn/

This is the sacrifice we probably need to make in order to get back on track in August and have football in some form.    Going to be a long summer.

I feel  for these seniors. Some no doubt were on the verge of winning a state championship, while others needed this senior season to impress a scout and earn a scholarship. Then there are those seniors who will never play their respective sport again and just wanted to enjoy playing with their teammates one last time. I’m hoping for football in the fall.

26 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Where was old Mav stadium at?

On West Houston Street.  It's a park now.  The field is still there and still in use.  The old WPA rock wall and stairs are still there.  The stands and all are gone.

Now there are pavilions in place and I think 2 sports fields. 

1979 was the last season at old Maverick Stadium.

34 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

On West Houston Street.  It's a park now.  The field is still there and still in use.  The old WPA rock wall and stairs are still there.  The stands and all are gone.

Now there are pavilions in place and I think 2 sports fields. 

1979 was the last season at old Maverick Stadium.

Behind a hospital?

Sappy post alert.... and some good news in a time when we all need some good news.......

One of the many reasons I love my hometown is how they take care of one another.

Since it seems graduation ceremonies are going to be cancelled this year, the community is rising up in such an amazing way.

People are adopting graduating seniors... complete strangers.... and they are sending them cards, gifts, packages, etc as they enter college, the armed forces, or the workforce.  More than 260 thus far have been adopted in just a couple of days.  

I have no doubt that every single senior will be adopted.... many will be adopted by several people.  

I'm so happy that there were people creative enough to come up with this idea....but more so the outpouring of generosity being shown to students they have never met.

There's no such thing as a perfect place..... but more often than not.... my hometown reminds me why I'm so proud to hail back to my alma mater... Marshall High School.... Marshall, Texas.

#MaverickFamily 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Sappy post alert.... and some good news in a time when we all need some good news.......

One of the many reasons I love my hometown is how they take care of one another.

Since it seems graduation ceremonies are going to be cancelled this year, the community is rising up in such an amazing way.

People are adopting graduating seniors... complete strangers.... and they are sending them cards, gifts, packages, etc as they enter college, the armed forces, or the workforce.  More than 260 thus far have been adopted in just a couple of days.  

I have no doubt that every single senior will be adopted.... many will be adopted by several people.  

I'm so happy that there were people creative enough to come up with this idea....but more so the outpouring of generosity being shown to students they have never met.

There's no such thing as a perfect place..... but more often than not.... my hometown reminds me why I'm so proud to hail back to my alma mater... Marshall High School.... Marshall, Texas.

#MaverickFamily 

We’re doing same thing here. Kudos to all communities doing same. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt said:

We scrimmaged Marshall at the old stadium in 1977 when I was a senior. I thought we only had that kind of rock at Tomato Bowl. I was pretty sheltered..., 😀 it’s everywhere! 

Yeah...the rock walls and stairs that the WPA built at old Maverick Stadium are still there.  Still in fantastic shape too.  Not too dissimilar to the Tomato Bowl.

I think the old Karnack HS building is rock too....but it's just K-8th now.  KHS closed down a few years back.