2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Doesn’t this seem to be a common theme with Whitehouse no matter what the sport is???

Its a disturbing trend considering they are in a district with 6 majority minority schools. Only Whitehouse and Hallsville are majority white. 

Not trying to stir the pot.... but when fans of those schools are saying it’s happening.... and a neutral reporter is saying it it’s happening...... maybe the WH administration needs to look into it instead of blasting the opponents team and fans on Twitter. 

Just a thought. 

I understand what you are saying.  But JT has no business being this bad in basketball.  If you want to shut them up,  do it on the court.  Coach Love is turning over in his grave.  JT in the not so recent past was the best big school basketball program in East Texas and now it's a joke.  

24 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I understand what you are saying.  But JT has no business being this bad in basketball.  If you want to shut them up,  do it on the court.  Coach Love is turning over in his grave.  JT in the not so recent past was the best big school basketball program in East Texas and now it's a joke.  

JT basketball will rise again soon. Did you hear about the running back from Moore dunking in the game against Hubbard? The boy is a beast. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

The fact that a team is good or bad at basketball is irrelevant. 

Black players from JT, Marshall, Jax, Nac, etc, etc, etc shouldn’t have to listen to that garbage.

I can’t help but wonder what the black players at WH think about it all.

Im white and I’m appalled.  But I’ve witnessed it personally at baseball and basketball games at WH.  And what I witnessed back in November at the football game was nothing short of atrocious behavior.

Based on all of the above.... and especially what is posted on Twitter.... it’s a pandemic problem at WHS.

Guess it’s allowed to go unchecked. 

2 hours ago, VonG said:

JT basketball will rise again soon. Did you hear about the running back from Moore dunking in the game against Hubbard? The boy is a beast. 

We had all kinds of kids dunking in JH with my Marshall graduating class (‘99).  We were awful all 4 years I was in school... you need someone who can put in a system that fits your talent, or someone that stays and builds a team/town from the ground up like Marshall did.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

We had all kinds of kids dunking in JH with my Marshall graduating class (‘99).  We were awful all 4 years I was in school... you need someone who can put in a system that fits your talent, or someone that stays and builds a team/town from the ground up like Marshall did.

What is the 1st sentence I posted. They have some talented basketball players coming up as well as football. They will rise again. 

4 hours ago, VonG said:

I don't know Von. I know talent is coming.  As a matter of fact, the 9th grade has a ton of talent.The best player and leading scorer on Varsity is a Freshman.

I'm not worried about the upcoming talent on Fresh and JV. The problem is when they get to varsity.   Besides, most of the talented kids coming up play both basketball and football. You know at the end of the day, football will win out unless the kid ends up being 6'8. 

1 minute ago, JTFAN99 said:

I don't know Von. I know talent is coming.  As a matter of fact, the 9th grade has a ton of talent.The best player and leading scorer on Varsity is a Freshman.

I'm not worried about the upcoming talent on Fresh and JV. The problem is when they get to varsity.   Besides, most of the talented kids coming up play both basketball and football. You know at the end of the day, football will win out unless the kid ends up being 6'8. 

I understand about when they get to varsity. They do have some hoopers coming up that's good in quite a few sports. 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The fact that a team is good or bad at basketball is irrelevant. 

Black players from JT, Marshall, Jax, Nac, etc, etc, etc shouldn’t have to listen to that garbage.

I can’t help but wonder what the black players at WH think about it all.

Im white and I’m appalled.  But I’ve witnessed it personally at baseball and basketball games at WH.  And what I witnessed back in November at the football game was nothing short of atrocious behavior.

Based on all of the above.... and especially what is posted on Twitter.... it’s a pandemic problem at WHS.

Guess it’s allowed to go unchecked. 

The JT I'm familiar with would have shut them down on the court and in the stands.   But the bball program is so bad now, there probably wasn't anybody in the stands from JT...lol

1 minute ago, VonG said:

I understand about when they get to varsity. They do have some hoopers coming up that's good in quite a few sports. 

To get the most out of this talent, they got to make some changes.  This is not a great basketball district, and JT is getting beat by 20 points.  

20 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

The JT I'm familiar with would have shut them down on the court and in the stands.   But the bball program is so bad now, there probably wasn't anybody in the stands from JT...lol

Actually it was a good crowd when I rode by there yesterday. 

20 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I feel like the issue of race has come up more here than the other forums I visit. Does Etx have a problem in general or is it isolated incidents? 

Isolated incidents and people making more out of something. That’s my experience in the woods. 

25 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Isolated incidents and people making more out of something. That’s my experience in the woods. 

Not when it comes to Whitehouse it isn't.

The signs that their kids brought to our volleyball playoff meeting back in 2015 were beyond racist/ridiculous.

The school has a massive issue.

3 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Not when it comes to Whitehouse it isn't.

The signs that their kids brought to our volleyball playoff meeting back in 2015 were beyond racist/ridiculous.

The school has a massive issue.

Wasn’t talking specifically Whitehouse because he didn’t specifically say Whitehouse. 

Whitehouse has a reputation.

And I don’t see why calling it out is “making it more of something”. 

It’s a matter of fact  it’s visible.  It’s audible.

Ignoring it or sugar-coating it makes one complicit  

I talked to fans to four different schools that had issues with them this past football season during district play.  

Looks like it has carried over in basketball.

Ive already witnessed their antics in baseball.

Clearly a systemic issue.

• Like 1

Why would the district/coaches allow this to keep happening?? Signs like that at a sporting event and it not being addressed is crazy!!

I didn't see it in the gym for volleyball or basketball this year, but there wasn't much of a crowd as the games were played early. For basketball anyway WH was just trying to stay within 25 pts, they didn't have time to talk too much.

Latest TABC Boys Basketball Rankings-2 East Texas teams from the Northern Distirct in the Top 25.

Class 5A

1. Lancaster (21-2)
2. Shadow Creek (18-2)
3. FB Hightower (20-5)
4. PA Memorial (21-4)
5. Wyatt (16-6)
6. Wagner (21-5)
7. Newman Smith (18-0)
8. Austin LBJ (19-5)
9. Sulphur Springs (18-7)
10. South Oak Cliff (17-6)
11. Kimball (17-6)
12. Midlothian (17-7)
13. Hutto (24-3)
14. Crowley (14-11)
15. Brownsville Veterans Memorial (19-2)
16. Red Oak (14-11)
17. Burleson Centennial (20-5)
18. EP Andress (20-3)
19. Timberview (16-7)
20. Rider (21-4)
21. Greenville (24-4)
22. Manor (17-8)
23. Frisco Independence (18-5)
24. CC Ray (16-4)
25. Manvel (16-9)

TABC Girls Top 25-Jacksonville the only ET School for the girls.

Class 5A

1. Amarillo (26-2)
2. Cedar Park (23-3)
3. Red Oak (19-6)
4. Corpus Christi Carroll (24-4)
5. Shadow Creek (22-4)
6. Timberview (19-8)
7. Fort Bend Hightower (23-5)
8. Braswell (21-4)
9. CC Veterans Memorial (23-6)
10. Georgetown (21-8)
11. Royse City (20-5)
12. SA Veterans Memorial (20-7)
13. Wichita Falls Rider (23-1)
14. Kerrville Tivy (23-4)
15. Barbers Hill (24-4)
16. Brownsville Veterans (24-5)
17. Frisco Liberty (17-9)
18. Lubbock Monterey (25-3)
19. Lake Dallas (17-4)
20. Jacksonville (16-8)
21. Tuloso-Midway (20-6)
22. Bryan Rudder (24-3)
23. Pflugerville Connaly (20-9)
24. El Paso Andress (20-4)
25. Flour Bluff (18-8)

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Whitehouse has a reputation.

And I don’t see why calling it out is “making it more of something”. 

It’s a matter of fact  it’s visible.  It’s audible.

Ignoring it or sugar-coating it makes one complicit  

I talked to fans to four different schools that had issues with them this past football season during district play.  

Looks like it has carried over in basketball.

Ive already witnessed their antics in baseball.

Clearly a systemic issue.

Who said this one making it more of something? I didn’t see anyone saying that so no reason to defend yourself. 

As far as what Whitehorse does...... to me that’s their business and so is how they handle it. Complaining on social media or a message board won’t change anything considering it’s been going on for years. IMO the admins hands are tied with how current parents are and how they act towards certain things. It’s that way at a lot more schools than just WH. Have seen inappropriate stuff at my school before, at Marshall before..... at many others. 

13 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

East Texas as a hole is racist. If you say anything different you’re lying. Everyone in eat knows someone that is. No matter their color.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you mean racism as a whole..... meaning the type that goes both ways. 

• Stinks 1

Of course it’s prevalent in East Texas. 

I guess what’s disturbing is how it’s being rubber-stamped by the school.

The supt of WISD would rather tweet about the savages on all the opposing teams instead of addressing the unsportsmanlike garbage his teams are putting on the fields and courts. 

If they had worked as hard at playing football instead of baiting a response, the game might have been competitive. 

How exhausting it must be for them when 6 of the 8 schools in your district are minority schools.  

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 7
Marshall beat Lufkin 86-85
Nacogdoches beat Pine Tree 54-25
Hallsville beat Jacksonville 48-34
Whitehouse beat John Tyler 57-51

The first round of district play came to a close with a flurry of good games.  Marshall beat Lufkin with a thrilling buzzer-beater.  Meanwhile....WH kept their playoff hopes alive with a win over JT.  Nac remained in a tie for first place with a win over Pine Tree.  Hallsville is clinging to the fourth and final playoff slot with their win over Jacksonville.

Tuesday night has a monster rematch between Lufkin and Nac... this time at Panther Gym.
Hallsville and Whitehouse will be battling for control of the # 4 spot.
Marshall is looking to possibly retake first place with a win over Jacksonville and some help from LP.
JT is fighting for their playoff lives against a PT team that upset them in the first round of district play.

Standings
Nacogdoches (6-1) , (21-8)
Marshall (6-1) , (16-8)
Lufkin (4-3), (15-8)
Hallsville (4-3) , (16-12)
Whitehouse (3-4) , (9-12)
John Tyler (3-4) , (5-13)
Pine Tree (2-5) (13-14)
Jacksonville (0-6) , (4-11)

---------------------------------------------------
16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 8
Jacksonville beat Hallsville 49-24
Whitehouse beat John Tyler 46-37
Lufkin beat Marshall 52-36
Nac beat PT

Playoff teams are taking shape.  Nac passed JT in the standings to pull into a three-way tie with WH and Hallsville for the final playoff slot.  Jacksonville and Lufkin are continuing to battle for the district championship.  JT's playoff hopes are starting to fade, while Marshall and PT are battling to stay out of the basement.  

Hallsville and Nac have a big game on Tuesday.  The loser could find themselves out of the playoff chase.  
JT is in desperate need of a win over PT to keep themselves in the race.  

Standings
Jacksonville 9-0
Lufkin 8-1
Hallsville 4-5
Whitehouse 4-5
Nacogdoches 4-5
John Tyler 3-6
Marshall 2-7
Pine Tree 2-7

---------------------------------------------------

15-5A Boys Basketball

Game 3
Lindale beat Greenville 43-42
Mount Pleasant beat Royse CIty 52-39
Sulphur Springs beat Texas High 54-55

Friday night proved this may be a wild ride to the district title in 15-5A.  Lindale, who was previously in last place in the standings.... upset state ranked Greenville.  Mount Pleasant continues to assert themselves as possibly the best team in the district.... while previously state ranked Sulphur Springs is showing they are not done yet either.  

Greenville (2-1) ,  (25-5)
Mount Pleasant (2-1) , (22-3)
Sulphur Springs (2-1) , (19-7)
Texas High (1-2) , (11-12)
Lindale (1-2) , (13-10)
Royse City (1-2), (6-6)

15-5A Girls Basketball

Game 5
Texas High beat Sulphur Springs 43-42
Greenville beat Lindale 62-55
Royse City beat MP ???

No one is really eliminated from the race yet, but SS and Greenville are struggling.  RC appears to be the class of the district.  MP and Texarkana are battling for second place.  Lindale is hanging in there.   

Standings
Royse City 5-0
Mount Pleasant 3-2
Texas High 3-2
Lindale 2-3

Sulphur Springs 1-4
Greenville 1-4

---------------------------------------

16-5A will start district soccer on Tuesday.