The Smoakhouse Forums

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I would hesitate even more this year to put any stock in the result of a bowl game that is not a play off game. 

Just like I don’t think any results from this season should not be taken without a grain of salt overall. 

Yes and no. I think its effected some teams greatly and some just a little. Mostly the teams with a little depth have done about the same as expected. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

Yes and no. I think its effected some teams greatly and some just a little. Mostly the teams with a little depth have done about the same as expected. 

We will have to agree to disagree about that. 

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

We will have to agree to disagree about that. 

I mean I agree this season will and should be looked at differently than normal. But outside of OU, is there any normal playoff contender that's been hurt by this enough to ruin their chances? I mean clemson I suppose but If they win out they are in and still have a title shot. 

My point was its highly likely have the same playoff teams we would have had in a regular season with the same champion. Unless something weird happens between now and then. 

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.  

That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Grumpy Old Men 1

On 11/24/2020 at 7:47 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

A UT/A&M bowl game would be so much fun both here on SDC and the actual game!

A&M has good tight ends and other good skill guys in the backfield and I’d want to see Demas out wide.

I must say, Mond has been more consistent this year.

I think a game this year would be a toss up with A&M being a slight favorite.

LOL

On 11/24/2020 at 4:55 PM, Lhornfan said:

Aggies would definitely be favored, but history has shown that doesn't mean a win in this series. Herman is not very good IMO when he's the clear favorite. He plays too tight. Herman as the underdog is a much better coach. I'd say Aggies win this year's game 7/10 times due to there running game and TE play. Sure wish we could see it.

Exactly, on all accounts. We'd be favored on paper this season, but in rivalry games all bets are off. 

And yes, Herman always seems to play up or down to his competition. He beats a lot of teams that he shouldn't but also loses to a few teams he shouldn't. That would definitely favor Texas this year (would've hurt them in previous years). 

23 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Strange. A few Sugar Bowls had you gloating all over this board. 

The SEC teams lost those so they don’t count because they didn’t care about being there.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. It been a few years since Oklahoma played in a meaningless bowl game so I’ll have to refresh my memory of how it works this year.

39 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The SEC teams lost those so they don’t count because they didn’t care about being there.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. It been a few years since Oklahoma played in a meaningless bowl game so I’ll have to refresh my memory of how it works this year.

Georgia not being motivated to play a 4 loss Texas team has nothing to do with the sec. Y'all are just so butt hurt by three little letters you can't even have intelligent football conversations anymore. 

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Georgia not being motivated to play a 4 loss Texas team has nothing to do with the sec. Y'all are just so butt hurt by three little letters you can't even have intelligent football conversations anymore. 

It’s really just the double standard that gets me going. 

Oklahoma has played in many bowl games that honestly they were disappointed to be in/ didn’t really want to be there. That is never an acceptable excuse unless you are an SEC team. 

I’ll take any comment from an Alabama, Georgia, or LSU fan about how they are better, but I’ll pass on taking #### from the have nots of the conference, and I’m not really talking about you because you are the most reasonable Aggie that I come into contact with.

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Oklahoma has played in many bowl games that honestly they were disappointed to be in/ didn’t really want to be there. That is never an acceptable excuse unless you are an SEC team. 

I’ll take any comment from an Alabama, Georgia, or LSU fan about how they are better, but I’ll pass on taking #### from the have nots of the conference, and I’m not really talking about you because you are the most reasonable Aggie that I come into contact with.

I mean I get that 100%... 

So which is it? Do non-playoff bowl games matter or not? You can't have it both ways. Speaking of double standards, I can remember Bob Stoops one year diminishing the Cotton Bowl loss to A&M and then pumping up the win over Alabama the next year... That double standard get you going? Or is that okay for the OU Coach to do?

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean I get that 100%... 

So which is it? Do non-playoff bowl games matter or not? You can't have it both ways. Speaking of double standards, I can remember Bob Stoops one year diminishing the Cotton Bowl loss to A&M and then pumping up the win over Alabama the next year... That double standard get you going? Or is that okay for the OU Coach to do?

Alabama could have cared less about being in that Sugar Bowl. Just like Oklahoma could have cared less about being in that Cotton Bowl.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Alabama could have cared less about being in that Sugar Bowl. Just like Oklahoma could have cared less about being in that Cotton Bowl.

Oklahoma definitely cared no one remotely believes that . You really think they didn’t care about sticking it to the Big 12 rejects? Seriously. You could make the case for Alabama cause they are used to playing for the NC.

4 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Oklahoma definitely cared no one remotely believes that . You really think they didn’t care about sticking it to the Big 12 rejects? Seriously. You could make the case for Alabama cause they are used to playing for the NC.

The Cotton Bowl was not even a BCS Bowl. It was a disappointment to be there.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Well there ya go. That's how I felt. Bowl games are kinda fun victory laps for the teams. I travelled with the team to the Belk Bowl a few years ago and they just kinda chilled and had fun all week in Charlotte. 

On 11/26/2020 at 8:15 PM, Valhalla said:

LSU is not better than anyone but the 3 crappy teams they have beaten... there, I said it.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Well there ya go. That's how I felt. Bowl games are kinda fun victory laps for the teams. I travelled with the team to the Belk Bowl a few years ago and they just kinda chilled and had fun all week in Charlotte. 

Non-championship bowl games are getting sadder and less meaningful every year...  Hell, half of some teams opted not to play in their bowl games for the NFL draft etc...  This year, with COVID etc, it will be even worse...

Mond has been on par with the LSU WRs and Refs so far in the 1Q