The Smoakhouse Forums

9 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Yes, something needs to be figured out how to deal with opting out. While I understand why it is done that still does not mean I accept it.

Coaches are gaged by their won/loss record and often times bowl games are even categorized in the records. Despite the opted outs, fans still go to the game to watch their team and want to watch them win.

The upside is that it does allow for playing some kids that had limited or no game time experience during the regular season in prep for the upcoming season or as a thank you from the coach.

This could have been fixed years ago... by the NCAA... just pay the players.  Bonus pay them for bowl wins.  I am not talking like $100k, but you give a college Jr who is considering opting out $7500 to play, then it would at least give them something to think about.  The payout for a NY6 team is somewhere around $1-3m per team...  divide $100-200k of that by the 75 you dressed out and those kids would play and love it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

This could have been fixed years ago... by the NCAA... just pay the players.  Bonus pay them for bowl wins.  I am not talking like $100k, but you give a college Jr who is considering opting out $7500 to play, then it would at least give them something to think about.  The payout for a NY6 team is somewhere around $1-3m per team...  divide $100-200k of that by the 75 you dressed out and those kids would play and love it.

Would they? 

If they get hurt for $7500 they could lose millions.

They'd be stepping over dollars to save pennies.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Would they? 

If they get hurt for $7500 they could lose millions.

They'd be stepping over dollars to save pennies.

Who knows...  you don't see many to any opt outs in the CFB playoffs...  Why?  because the game means something to them.

$7500 may mean something to some of those guys in the moment.  Or it would until someone got hurt...

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Who knows...  you don't see many to any opt outs in the CFB playoffs...  Why?  because the game means something to them.

$7500 may mean something to some of those guys in the moment.  Or it would until someone got hurt...

Has there been many seriously impactful injuries to draft eligible players that did play? I remember of a big one a few years back (can't remember who) but it doesn't seen like its been a normal occurance to me. Not enough to justify the number of holdouts we have had at least. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WETSU said:

Has there been many seriously impactful injuries to draft eligible players that did play? I remember of a big one a few years back (can't remember who) but it doesn't seen like its been a normal occurance to me. Not enough to justify the number of holdouts we have had at least. 

The only one that sticks out off the top of my head is the LB from Notre Dame that plays for Dallas.

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

Didn't Clowney at South Carolina tear his knee up in a bowl game. I may be wrong but I thought his injury is what started all this sitting out the bowl games. Jaylon Smith from Notre dame and the Cowboys also was injured in a bowl game and it cost him his first round draft position. 

57 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The only one that sticks out off the top of my head is the LB from Notre Dame that plays for Dallas.

Jaylon Smith went from a top 10 pick to a 2nd rounder. Joey Bosa got 4yr/$25.8m as pick #3. Jaylon got 4yr/$6.5m. $19m injury.

I also remember a few guys who got injured in bowl games that went on to successful careers. Willis McGahee is one that comes to mind. 

Not saying it's a compelling argument either way, but I do agree that something needs to be done to make the bowl games more compelling. For years the primary argument has been "tradition," but how valuable is the "tradition" when the games become meaningless?

Again: create a better playoff system that actually uses the lower-tier bowls. The ratings, attendance, and money will be better for all, and you might just create a better tradition. 

17 hours ago, WETSU said:

They were the superior team even before the optouts, but JF is right. They were capable of winning handily before, but not anything short of 17 point victory would be a let down. Although, Fisher doesn't play a style that leads to blowouts often. He also will likely establish a comfortable lead and then get some younger guys some work so i could see this being a 35-24 type win and everyone thinking it was closer than it should have been. 

I’d have said the better team before opt outs, not superior.  But to each his own.  

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I also remember a few guys who got injured in bowl games that went on to successful careers. Willis McGahee is one that comes to mind. 

Not saying it's a compelling argument either way, but I do agree that something needs to be done to make the bowl games more compelling. For years the primary argument has been "tradition," but how valuable is the "tradition" when the games become meaningless?

Again: create a better playoff system that actually uses the lower-tier bowls. The ratings, attendance, and money will be better for all, and you might just create a better tradition. 

Yep. McGahee also had taken out a multi-million dollar insurance policy. That knee injury was GRUESOME. 

But Melvin Bratton got hurt against OU and never really recovered. It was REALLY sad. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Agreed. I think we'd be around 7 points better before opt outs, max.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

10-14 IMO.  UNC lost two really good backs.  

This is why I hate the opt outs. Nobody has ran well against A&M all year... Not even Najee Harris and bama. And that's by design. A&M will let you throw for 700 before they lose the advantage in the run game. So I don't believe even with those RBs playing they run well vs A&M. But thanks to opt outs we will just chalk the lack of running game up to the loss of rbs more than A&Ms defense. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is why I hate the opt outs. Nobody has ran well against A&M all year... Not even Najee Harris and bama. And that's by design. A&M will let you throw for 700 before they lose the advantage in the run game. So I don't believe even with those RBs playing they run well vs A&M. But thanks to opt outs we will just chalk the lack of running game up to the loss of rbs more than A&Ms defense. 

Casual observers might do that but folks who have watched will understand it