Gilmer AD/Head Football Coach

dillonpanthers

4 hours ago, coach3198 said:

One of the best COACHING STAFFS in the entire state, and people want to move on from it.  You have no idea how hard those men work.  Not saying the next staff wont work hard, nor be successful, but trust me when I tell you not every staff works like they do.  They have done a wonderful job with what they have, those kids work extremely hard for them.  Amazing that going 4 rounds deep, getting beat by the eventual state champion, is no longer "good enough".  Wonder how long it would take for those great coaches to get employed elsewhere?  And by the way, you guys that have been there since Day 1 of the Traylor era.....we no longer need you because you dont know offense, defense (seems they had a few shutouts this year), special teams, or building men of character.  Grass isn't always greener, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  

are you coming back JH

1 hour ago, HasBeen81 said:

Agree the easiest hire and he probably deserves it is Metzel.  Great man and knows football.

Sometimes the easiest hire isn't necessarily the best hire. Hope they at least bring in some outside candidates with no true Gilmer ties. See what is out there.

4 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Sometimes the easiest hire isn't necessarily the best hire. Hope they at least bring in some outside candidates with no true Gilmer ties. See what is out there.

Naw we want to keep what we have no need for these kids to learn anything different when it’s not broke it’s just a lot of ungrateful folks and outsiders that don’t know anything 

21 hours ago, coach3198 said:

One of the best COACHING STAFFS in the entire state, and people want to move on from it.  You have no idea how hard those men work.  Not saying the next staff wont work hard, nor be successful, but trust me when I tell you not every staff works like they do.  They have done a wonderful job with what they have, those kids work extremely hard for them.  Amazing that going 4 rounds deep, getting beat by the eventual state champion, is no longer "good enough".  Wonder how long it would take for those great coaches to get employed elsewhere?  And by the way, you guys that have been there since Day 1 of the Traylor era.....we no longer need you because you dont know offense, defense (seems they had a few shutouts this year), special teams, or building men of character.  Grass isn't always greener, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  

I give this an AMEN also.  And we do need somebody like Joey Hector back in the program. 

• Like 1

If outside hire try and open the pocket book and go get someone that WILL change things.  If you get an outside hire they WILL change things and the people of Gilmer would have to accept that the Traylor circle and era is officially over.  Now the question is can Gilmer actually accept that?

Outside hire -

1. Surratt - Not happening unless you pay him A LOT of money (aint gonna happen)

2. Nally - established HC and has been associated with the Gilmer way

3. Any Coordinator @ PG - Gilmer would have to accept the wing-t and its philosophies.  

4. I still like Metzel.  Leave it alone and let him be the guy!!

2 hours ago, Maineman1988 said:

Why? Unless it’s Surrat of course!  

It just seems that the Gilmer faithful are never happy. You can keep it in the "Traylor Circle" all you want, but no one can replace Jeff Traylor. He was obviously an all time great coach, but if you are going to compare every coach to him, then you are going to be disappointed in my opinion. 

If Gilmer fans are not happy with how things have gone since Traylor left, then maybe they should look outside of the inner circle. No moron is going to come in and completely overhaul how things are run. However, a fresh perspective might make a big difference. That's all I'm saying.

I think Gilmer will do the right thing for the kids and the community.

1 hour ago, HasBeen81 said:

If outside hire try and open the pocket book and go get someone that WILL change things.  If you get an outside hire they WILL change things and the people of Gilmer would have to accept that the Traylor circle and era is officially over.  Now the question is can Gilmer actually accept that?

Outside hire -

1. Surratt - Not happening unless you pay him A LOT of money (aint gonna happen)

2. Nally - established HC and has been associated with the Gilmer way

3. Any Coordinator @ PG - Gilmer would have to accept the wing-t and its philosophies.  

4. I still like Metzel.  Leave it alone and let him be the guy!!

No way number 3 could happen 

22 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I’m not saying he’s not a good coach but we don’t wanna see the wing T in gilmer no way 

Good coaches know what works best for the personnel that they have each year. I do not see PG having the big linemen consistently like Carthage does each year to run spread or some other wide open offense. The "hybrid wing t" as some like to say works best for the athletes that PG has.

So much of HS coaching is belief, confidence, and getting the best out of your players. It is not fair to the current coach to be compared to the predecessor. Every coach has their own unique traits and characteristics. That is what makes coaches like Traylor, Gibson, and Surratt so successful. The players believe in them and do not want to disappoint them. Unfortunately, PG and Carthage will some day have to go through the same process as Gilmer.  With the program's rich tradition, there is no doubt Gilmer will find a great coach.

• Mr. P locked this topic