Gilmer AD/Head Football Coach

dillonpanthers

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 1:46 PM, GoodOleBoy73 said:

It just seems that the Gilmer faithful are never happy. You can keep it in the "Traylor Circle" all you want, but no one can replace Jeff Traylor. He was obviously an all time great coach, but if you are going to compare every coach to him, then you are going to be disappointed in my opinion. 

If Gilmer fans are not happy with how things have gone since Traylor left, then maybe they should look outside of the inner circle. No moron is going to come in and completely overhaul how things are run. However, a fresh perspective might make a big difference. That's all I'm saying.

I think Gilmer will do the right thing for the kids and the community.

We are just spoiled rotten...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:16 AM, swaha said:

Good coaches know what works best for the personnel that they have each year. I do not see PG having the big linemen consistently like Carthage does each year to run spread or some other wide open offense. The "hybrid wing t" as some like to say works best for the athletes that PG has.

So much of HS coaching is belief, confidence, and getting the best out of your players. It is not fair to the current coach to be compared to the predecessor. Every coach has their own unique traits and characteristics. That is what makes coaches like Traylor, Gibson, and Surratt so successful. The players believe in them and do not want to disappoint them. Unfortunately, PG and Carthage will some day have to go through the same process as Gilmer.  With the program's rich tradition, there is no doubt Gilmer will find a great coach.

Pleasant Grove has been pretty darn big in the offensive line the last three years in a row. They might have been the biggest in 4A in 2017. They averaged over 250 in 2018 and 2019.

10 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

Pleasant Grove has been pretty darn big in the offensive line the last three years in a row. They might have been the biggest in 4A in 2017. They averaged over 250 in 2018 and 2019.

2017 was different. I am referring to across the "board". PG has some big kids in certain positions but not like Carthage top to bottom each year on the offensive side. The Druhan kid was maybe 155 pounds this year.

13 hours ago, HasBeen81 said:

This hire if it is a “shock” will be someone who is knowledgeable in the spread offense.  Coach Nally at Melissa is the only other spread coach that I believe would be humored by Gilmer.  He is an offensive innovator and has been successful.  

Tell us about Nally.  Where has he coached and where is he from?  You keep mentioning his name.  Is he kin to you?  What would make him good for Gilmer?

From my understanding he (Nally) has been mentored by the “Traylor Circle” and I do not believe that Gilmer is ready to get away from that line of thinking.  He beat Gilmer a coupe of years ago in the 3rd round of the playoffs and is known for offensive football.  I do not believe that Gilmer will get a defensive guy and sway away from the “Gilmer way”. That’s why I have said over and over again that it is Coach Metzel’s job to loose and he deserves the position hands down.  The only shock would be is if he didn’t get the job.  

and Yes Nally is my father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate

11 minutes ago, HasBeen81 said:

From my understanding he (Nally) has been mentored by the “Traylor Circle” and I do not believe that Gilmer is ready to get away from that line of thinking.  He beat Gilmer a coupe of years ago in the 3rd round of the playoffs and is known for offensive football.  I do not believe that Gilmer will get a defensive guy and sway away from the “Gilmer way”. That’s why I have said over and over again that it is Coach Metzel’s job to loose and he deserves the position hands down.  The only shock would be is if he didn’t get the job.  

• LOL! 1

6 hours ago, swaha said:

2017 was different. I am referring to across the "board". PG has some big kids in certain positions but not like Carthage top to bottom each year on the offensive side. The Druhan kid was maybe 155 pounds this year.

Carthage won state in 2017 with 3 offensive line starters weighing 230 or less.

11 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Carthage won state in 2017 with 3 offensive line starters weighing 230 or less.

I know Carthage did not have a lineman weighing 155 pounds on this year or last year's line...some grown men this past season.

7 hours ago, swaha said:

I don't know what Druhan weighed, but their offensive llinemen were huge for high school.

22 hours ago, HasBeen81 said:

yall keep focusing on the traylor way he's gone.Go out of the box it might be in your favor.

Kinda suprised Bary bowman isn't throwing his name into the hat assuming he hasn't. Some have some age like Dennis Alexander.  This should be a pretty good gig imo. Learning the Gilmer way sounds like Michigan type of thinking. Gilmer needs a guy who gets the winning way. The Expectations are big in Gilmer so a seasoned vet used to winning should be the guy. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Stinks 2

• Mr. P locked this topic