Hallsville is open

dillonpanthers

1 hour ago, BuckNut said:

Hallsville could do real well running an offense like PG.  someone off that staff could really do well with the kids at Hallsville.  I heard from a friend in Gilmer they have some talent in their lower levels.

Kind of like what Coach Little did in Harleton this year after leaving Hallsville last year?

Well hope this is a good hire for GS and he brings in a offense guy that has PG style r PP because GS don’t hv size and speed at wr for some kinda spread ! Hv speed in RB’s but that’s it! And some of the stuff I’ve heard Hallsville was hoping he would leave without them having to do it because they had some talent just not coached! Hope that’s not right because want be good for GS and some of the Applications turned in sound like a better hire but guess will see! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maineman1988 said:

Hallsville = Baseball  If you don’t believe me just ask them. It will take a special coach to change that culture. 

That pretty sad. Losing mentality will defeat you everytime.  Expectations are like Whitehouse and Nac. 

Make playoffs when a couple of rounds and you are Coach of the Year. Hallsville ususally has a scrappy competitive team or flat out bad. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Ever had any dealings with addicts or alcoholics? They never think they are the problem. It's always someone else's fault.

Coach Plunk was not the problem. Coach Drennon was not the problem.

A LOT of issues and obstacles in Hallsville 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

I am a Hallsville lifer living in Hallsville my whole life aside from the four years I spent in Austin going to UT.  My kids went to school there as well.  I still live in Hallsville.  Hallsville is not a football school.  Has not been since the '60's at best aside from the occasional upstart team, the last serious one was the '99 team that lost in the fourth round in the Astrodome.

Granted there are the occasional athletes that come around but not enough of them at one time to make a serious impact on the team.  Plunk's record at Hallsville reflects what Hallsville's ceiling is historically with the intermittent playoff appearance and/or run.  Drennon underachieved IMO due to...well, lets just say, "Not fitting in".

Hallsville is a baseball, softball, and volleyball school.  Hallsville should just embrace that and continue to excel with it.  There is nothing wrong with having a "different" core competency.  
As long as Hallsville is bordered by Longview and Marshall that is where the football talent will migrate to.  Besides, Hallsville is becoming more and more of a "commuter school" as families continue to move in just to work in Longview.

The Board that outed Plunk had unrealistic expectations of the "athletes" walking the halls. Drennon had just come off of a championship at Mineola where one or two athletes can make a difference in that classification.  The availability of Drennon at that time was just the Kool-Aid that some could not resist and just saw "Championship" as the headline and did not read the entire text.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I am a Hallsville lifer living in Hallsville my whole life aside from the four years I spent in Austin going to UT.  My kids went to school there as well.  I still live in Hallsville.  Hallsville is not a football school.  Has not been since the '60's at best aside from the occasional upstart team, the last serious one was the '99 team that lost in the fourth round in the Astrodome.

Granted there are the occasional athletes that come around but not enough of them at one time to make a serious impact on the team.  Plunk's record at Hallsville reflects what Hallsville's ceiling is historically with the intermittent playoff appearance and/or run.  Drennon underachieved IMO due to...well, lets just say, "Not fitting in".

Hallsville is a baseball, softball, and volleyball school.  Hallsville should just embrace that and continue to excel with it.  There is nothing wrong with having a "different" core competency.  
As long as Hallsville is bordered by Longview and Marshall that is where the football talent will migrate to.  Besides, Hallsville is becoming more and more of a "commuter school" as families continue to move in just to work in Longview.

The Board that outed Plunk had unrealistic expectations of the "athletes" walking the halls. Drennon had just come off of a championship at Mineola where one or two athletes can make a difference in that classification.  The availability of Drennon at that time was just the Kool-Aid that some could not resist and just saw "Championship" as the headline and did not read the entire text.

Great post that pretty much sums it up.    Good luck to the next in line.   

Pretty much spot on. Coach Plunk is the winningest coach in the history of Hallsville with a 40% win record (averaged out to a 4-6 record every year). 

I've seen them several times over the past few years and like you said they sporadically have an athlete here and there but not enough. Plunk did the best he could with what he had.

Also, way too many internal issues to overcome. When everyone is not on board & working behind the scenes to sabotage the head coach, it won't happen. 

From what I know about Drennon is he's a good ole boy that isn't going to go kiss the butts of the big shots, which is why he probably didn't "fit in"

• Like 1

Sabotage is a strong word.

When you are a coach coming from a smaller school where your "athletes" play every sport it is a lack of awareness to assume that that happens at larger schools.  IMO it is not in the best interests of the athletic department to subject basketball and baseball players, etc. to off-season football readiness if they have no intent on playing the sport.

3 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

When you are a coach coming from a smaller school where your "athletes" play every sport it is a lack of awareness to assume that that happens at larger schools.  IMO it is not in the best interests of the athletic department to subject basketball and baseball players, etc. to off-season football readiness if they have no intent on playing the sport.

So was Drennon making everyone do off season football even if they didn't play football?

3 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Not sure what you mean by football readiness. All athletes should have mandatory conditioning and weight lifting sessions regardless if they are playing football. It will only make them better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

I thought I remembered too that when he was hired he tried to make it a rule that everyone in athletics had to participate in 2 sports. but that may have been a rumor. 

Interesting note, when Drennon was hired at LE in 2000...word is another particuliar coach applied. Since then, that coach has won 7 state championships.