Hallsville is open

dillonpanthers

13 hours ago, Cowboyz4life said:

Pretty sure he was injured most of the year, missed 5-6 games.  But I posted at the end of the season I would give the coach at Harleton the coach of the year in East Texas for the job he did this past year.  No question. But if you can't understand the difference at coaching at Harelton who will probably be a  bottom of the district team in 3A D2, if they have a great season might challenge for the 4th spot in that district. Make 20-25K less that at 5A Hallsville where in that district after Marshall and Texarkana you at least have a chance at going to the playoffs, I really dont know what to say to you.     Now, I doubt Hallsville goes that direction, they did that last time when they hired a HC in a State Champion Coach form a smaller school, 3A D1 in Drennon from Mineola. 

I think you are thinking somehow my original post was some kind of slight at the coach from Harleton, Coach Little.   Nothing of the sort. 99% of coaches that are in his situation would "crawl" to a job opportunity jumping levels and pay raises like Harleton to Hallsville.

Many may say, but Hallsville is not a good 5A job, they never win, dont have athletes, etc, but coaches dont think like that. Good/Great coaches think they can be the difference. They will be the one to turn it around. etc. I am sure Coach Little is of that same mindset.  I am sure people told him the same thing about taking the Harleton job.

Let’s recap.  Harleton was 1-9 in 2018.  Little inherited 5 starters on O and 5 on D.  DCTF picked Harleton to finish dead last in the district in 2019 that included traditional powers Tenaha, Joaquin and Garrison.  Somehow Harleton won district, 10 games and went 3 rounds deep in the playoffs.  Regardless of classification, teams don’t make that kind of a jump without good coaching and a scheme the kids believe in and can execute.

3A D2 District 11 is really not all that tough in my opinion.  Hughes Springs and Waskom will likely be the favorites, but I don’t see any reason why Harleton can’t lock up the 3rd spot easily with a chance to move up the district standings by knocking off one of the two favs.

I agree Hallsville is not an appealing job now, especially with the position spilt.  I don’t see Little considering going back as the HC, even if offered.  Been there and done that.  The $20k isn’t enough to put up with the BS everyone has mentioned on here.  But I think he could be successful there with his scheme if given the time to implement and earn the kid’s trust.

12 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

Let’s not get fooled here.   PG is a completely different animal than Hallsville.   Yes when Gibson arrived there were very few athletes that were Jrs. or Srs.   They had a young couple of groups that were loaded and Gibson has done a great job with those athletes.    Hallsville does not have the athletes that PG does and playing at the 5A level you sure better have some to have the success PG is having.    PG has also opened the district recently and with success brings move ins that help a lot.   Gibson has 100% buy in from the players, parents & community which is always a plus but if you don’t have the JIMMYS & JOES the X’S & O’S don’t matter.   

With that said, if Hallsville has some young groups coming then this guy should have some success but not PG success.   If the job is only paying $90 then Hallsville needs to up the ante!

I don’t think anybody is saying have PG type success. Just giving PG as an example of a school who runs the offense we were talking about. Expecting Hallsville to have anywhere close to the same kind of success PG has had would be dumb. But them running an offense similar to PG could give them a fighting chance in their district. Just try something nobody else is doing in that district. At this point having a winning season, and making the playoffs consistently would be a huge win for Hallsville’s football program. I don’t know why Hallsville can’t compete for 3rd or 4th in that district with the right guy and the right scheme.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, BlackShirtD said:

Let’s not get fooled here.   PG is a completely different animal than Hallsville.   Yes when Gibson arrived there were very few athletes that were Jrs. or Srs.   They had a young couple of groups that were loaded and Gibson has done a great job with those athletes.    Hallsville does not have the athletes that PG does and playing at the 5A level you sure better have some to have the success PG is having.    PG has also opened the district recently and with success brings move ins that help a lot.   Gibson has 100% buy in from the players, parents & community which is always a plus but if you don’t have the JIMMYS & JOES the X’S & O’S don’t matter.   

With that said, if Hallsville has some young groups coming then this guy should have some success but not PG success.   If the job is only paying $90 then Hallsville needs to up the ante!

nobody saw PG having this kind of success either. Pg has had athletes over the years but this system helps them alot along with the now open (limited) enrollment. im not going to predict hallsville would win state in the next 5 years but give them a different system than what everyone else runs in the district and it makes them harder to prepare for. 

5 hours ago, txk85 said:

nobody saw PG having this kind of success either. Pg has had athletes over the years but this system helps them alot along with the now open (limited) enrollment. im not going to predict hallsville would win state in the next 5 years but give them a different system than what everyone else runs in the district and it makes them harder to prepare for. 

PG has had a few athletes in the past at different grade levels and now have many at all levels.   That’s a Big difference.   I have seen PG run many different offenses through the years but again, when you have D1 cats (not 1 cat) running around you can run what you want to run and you will be pretty good at the 4A level.   Gibson has done a great job putting them in this position and maintaining it.   It’s not going to end for a long time.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spanky said:

Hallsville had yet another poor season in basketball. New AD going to make changes there? 

No one in the district had a banner year in basketball. 

Not even the district champions (Nac and Marshall). 

Hallsville got a rough row to hoe ahead of them  in football IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

No one in the district had a banner year in basketball. 

Not even the district champions (Nac and Marshall). 

Hallsville got a rough row to hoe ahead of them  in football IMHO. 

Football has always been tough for Hallsville. They should not have been as bad as they were under Drennon but at least somewhat competitive. Being that there are better football schools to the East and the West, Hallsville should continue to focus on baseball. And no, I am not a baseball parent. My last child graduated in 2013 and he only played football and was a sprinter on the track team.

1 minute ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Football has always been tough for Hallsville. They should not have been as bad as they were under Drennon but at least somewhat competitive. Being that there are better football schools to the East and the West, Hallsville should continue to focus on baseball. And no, I am not a baseball parent. My last child graduated in 2013 and he only played football and was a sprinter on the track team.

What's interesting is I "heard" this may be Mitchell's last year. Have you heard that?

2 hours ago, threejs said:

I knew he had a lot.  As a program Hallsville just went over a 1000 wins this year back in February. I think the start date was in the late 1940's.  Crazy that he has amassed half of the wins in 20 or so years.  The baseball program in Hallsville really took off in the early 1980's initially with Mike Cox for a couple of years followed by Connie Cochran.  I would not be surprised to find out that Cochran had a 100 or so wins in the short time he was there.  I believe that Cochran's initial 3 teams were the first in the program history to win 20+ games 3 years in a row.

My point about basketball was they have had no success and really no excuses for why. He has 30-35 kids that don't do anything other than basketball, they don't play football, lift weights, run track, play baseball etc. All they do is basketball year round and still don't win. Just wondering if the new AD will decide to make a change. Perhaps bring back Loewe. He turned Union Grove around pretty quick 

I'm thinking that several open positions are on hold until the coronavirus issue is over. May be hard to do in person interviews, though they can do video interviews. Also, it looks like Spring Training for 5A and 6A may be a no go so there's not as much urgency to get this done as it was earlier!! (Especially if they decide to hire a former Bobcat coach who knows the situation)