The Smoakhouse Forums

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gotta give it to the UIL in this one they are trying.

There is a different between closing school buildings and cancelling school.   As close to the end of the school year as it is, everyone will be doing as much as possbile to finish the year

Had I known how boring my graduation ceremony would be I would have skipped it, and let them mail me my diploma.  I think it's more for the parents from my experience.  I really  don't think the onlin

Posted Images

Ran into a student the other day. He is a senior on the baseball team and we aren't bad. High expectations for this year's team. He was asking if we were going back and if they were going to be able to play the season out...Told him that I didn't have those answers. Told him I'm just plugging work online until I get the next piece of information. Hopefully we can get them back on the field, but it feels more and more doubtful each day...

May 4 is now the date that this shutdown extends to

I was wondering if UIL officials might work on a tentative short season for Baseball and Track.

Even extend into the summer. If it doesn't work out where it cannot be used what have they lost but a little time which they should have plenty of on their hands now.

I know some coaches would vote to stop and not have to do anything same for some of those  

Focus should be on starting next school year on time. I don’t think it will. I’m thinking a delay in start by like a month or so. 

It’s a bummer too. Our baseball team was more competitive than normal and our track teams were primed to make noise at state. 

3 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Like what?

There’s the assumption out there the Texas economy will restart at the same time in all locales and people are back at work by then. Regardless, we have no idea at the potential massive funding hit that public ed could see. 

2 hours ago, BoHogg said:

There’s the assumption out there the Texas economy will restart at the same time in all locales and people are back at work by then. Regardless, we have no idea at the potential massive funding hit that public ed could see. 

True

13 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Like what?

Of course, the all clear would have to be given from Covid-19. Schools could look at starting the last week in July. Move to a 9 week cycle, in lieu of six weeks. (Makes cleaner does breaks) The year would end last week of May.

Advantage of this? We are going to see regression in students. With the traditional summer break we do already. Teachers are doing their best with packets and online learning, but lets be real, it’s just not the same. This would get the students back in the classroom ASAP.

This calendar would not change the number of days a teacher works already, but a first year teachers first check is usually in September. This of course could cause challenges due to how districts are funded. You could break their salary into 13 checks the first year, but with some of the smaller districts, those checks won’t be huge.

Coaches and band directors would have to adjust how they do things, but right now we can’t be afraid of change.  For example, two-a-days, one practice before school and one after?? 

I do not know if anyone is looking at doing this, but it is an example of one way it could be done.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

Of course, the all clear would have to be given from Covid-19. Schools could look at starting the last week in July. Move to a 9 week cycle, in lieu of six weeks. (Makes cleaner does breaks) The year would end last week of May.

Advantage of this? We are going to see regression in students. With the traditional summer break we do already. Teachers are doing their best with packets and online learning, but lets be real, it’s just not the same. This would get the students back in the classroom ASAP.

This calendar would not change the number of days a teacher works already, but a first year teachers first check is usually in September. This of course could cause challenges due to how districts are funded. You could break their salary into 13 checks the first year, but with some of the smaller districts, those checks won’t be huge.

Coaches and band directors would have to adjust how they do things, but right now we can’t be afraid of change.  For example, two-a-days, one practice before school and one after?? 

I do not know if anyone is looking at doing this, but it is an example of one way it could be done.

You’re basically talking about year round school or a version of it? Where are the breaks? Why would you start at the end of July? 

12 minutes ago, betweentheposts said:

This will not happen!

Not saying it will, just an idea. It’s being floated around more than you think. Four months out of school will lead to academic regression and coaches want to get their kids back ASAP. Districts that are Districts of Innovation have flexibility in their calendar and start date.

Doing this would allow a quick 3-5 week review of the previous grade level to try and fill in the educational gaps created. 

22 minutes ago, betweentheposts said:

This will not happen!

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/29/latonya-goffney-coronavirus-texas-event/

Dr. Gofney discusses that changes in the district calendar are on the table. This is Aldine ISD. She doesn’t go into details of what changes she is looking at. 

The plan I spoke of was discussed in a Zoom meeting of Superintendents. I have just completed my certification and was completing observation hours. 

8 hours ago, Dawgman said:

Not saying it will, just an idea. It’s being floated around more than you think. Four months out of school will lead to academic regression and coaches want to get their kids back ASAP. Districts that are Districts of Innovation have flexibility in their calendar and start date.

Doing this would allow a quick 3-5 week review of the previous grade level to try and fill in the educational gaps created. 

Coaches can get their kids back during the summer, as long as the government says no more social distancing, etc. 

• Like 1

Yes sir, you are correct. It would be awesome if the schools could open in May, but I’m not sure that will happen either. It will be interesting to see the long term outcomes because of this.

On 3/26/2020 at 9:28 AM, LOL said:

My old man said something along similar lines...  he went to prom but skipped graduation, and his senior trip was the tail end of Operation Delaware with the First Air Cav. Then Signal Hill, and then Saigon...  

I reckon I can handle a little "social distancing."

Had I known how boring my graduation ceremony would be I would have skipped it, and let them mail me my diploma.  I think it's more for the parents from my experience.  I really  don't think the online schooling is a good idea.  It would be an open book test for every exam.  I mentioned this to WHF, but I would truly like to know if grades go up this six weeks, and the final six weeks.  I have a hunch they will, unless the students are lazy or simply don't care.  Hopefully this month long stay in place will work, and we can get back to normal.  I still think it's going to take either a vaccine or our own immune systems to become resistant to this virus.  

• Like 2
On 4/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, WestHardinfan1 said:

This has been one hell of a retirement year .......

Are they going to make you repeat it ?  You know what I'm referring to.  

• Haha 1