No Fall Football

Panther89

45 minutes ago, Panther89 said:

With all rhis COVID stupidity going on, don't look for their to be any Fall Football in the next school year! I don't foresee and lifting of restrictions on social gatherings anytime soon! 

Thanks Debbie Downer, we all have been waiting to hear your opinion on this!

• Like 2

I don't think over 40,000 deaths in less than 2 months could be labeled as "stupidity"  but that's another conversation.  Almost every country in the world has had some form of lockdown....so we aren't special in that respect.  

But.....even with those (still rising) numbers..... I think we will have football by fall.  

However.....I have a feeling that high risk populations (older and the ill) will be asked to stay home longer... but I think the general population will be out and about normally.  So crowds will be smaller.....not as many grandparents in the stands.

I'm willing to bet by July things will be pretty much back to normal FOR MOST....but not all.  And of course all bets are off if we see a second spike this summer.

And it's not completely unprecedented...... before UIL came into existence in the 1920's..... High School football was cancelled across the state in 1918.  And while not statewide... many schools had partial/cancelled seasons during World War II.

I'm betting on football this fall....even if it was to start a little late....and I don't even anticipate that.  

• Like 7

I think with the new guidelines set forth by the government that by June we will be back CLOSE to normal.  At least with the new normal.  I think we will be able to have summer workouts in some capacity and start the season on time.  I sure hope so!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, uniballer said:

I think with the new guidelines set forth by the government that by June we will be back CLOSE to normal.  At least with the new normal.  I think we will be able to have summer workouts in some capacity and start the season on time.  I sure hope so!

Agree.  I don't think 7 on 7 will happen.  But I think drills will start in August.

Just gonna be some low attendances this fall I think because of certain populations being asked to stay home longer than the rest of us.... AND a paranoia by some.

It will be interesting to see how ticket sales go for season ticket holders..... they may sell every other seat. 

Going to be interesting.  It will be different no doubt.  But I still think the games will go on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChynaStopper said:

7 on 7 has already been canned 

The statewide SQT's and the tournament has.   I don't think anything official has been announced about the the local leagues.  With no tourney... they could play in July instead of June if restrictions are lifted.  

Marshall usually has a league with Carthage, Evangel, Henderson, and Evangel, EF and Waskom sometimes too.

Longview has one with PT and Spring Hill...and a few others I think.

Tyler has a league too.... I think Lee, JT, WH, and CHill.....

I wouldn't be surprised to see them get started in late June/early July for a few weeks.  They can all start late with no SQT's or "playoff" in College Station.  They could get in 3-4 weeks before drills start in August.

All the 5A and 6A schools will get 2 scrimmages this year since there was no spring ball.

45 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Agree.  I don't think 7 on 7 will happen.  But I think drills will start in August.

Just gonna be some low attendances this fall I think because of certain populations being asked to stay home longer than the rest of us.... AND a paranoia by some.

It will be interesting to see how ticket sales go for season ticket holders..... they may sell every other seat. 

Going to be interesting.  It will be different no doubt.  But I still think the games will go on.

7 on 7 has already been cancelled

26 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I know the qualifying and state tourneys have cancelled.  

But have the independent local leagues???

Wouldn’t that fall under umbrella of UIL/THSCA/State 7on7? I’d assume it would. 

2 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Wouldn’t that fall under umbrella of UIL/THSCA/State 7on7? I’d assume it would. 

Could be...I'm not 100% sure.  

But if things are looking good in June....and with no tourneys..... I can't imagine UIL not giving the nod to allowing league play in late June/early July.  No reason not to if it's deemed safe.

Just now, Mavchamp said:

Could be...I'm not 100% sure.  

But if things are looking good in June....and with no tourneys..... I can't imagine UIL not giving the nod to allowing league play in late June/early July.  No reason not to if it's deemed safe.

Kids will end up playing on their own one way or another. 

7 hours ago, Panther89 said:

With all this COVID stupidity going on, don't look for their to be any Fall Football in the next school year! I don't foresee and lifting of restrictions on social gatherings anytime soon! 

Spring Hill hopes football won’t happen because they will finish last in district if it does😀

• LOL! 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm a healthcare worker on the frontlines (ER)...... and even I am optimistic we will have a season of some sort..... 
it may mean a truncated season.... or that not ALL schools participate depending on hot spots scattered about the state (urban areas). 

But I think it'll happen.

UNLESS we have a summer spike.... if that happens..... then things could get dicey.

• Like 1

My concern is what we are going to do with physicals and compliance?  If things “normalize” in June or July physicians will be playing catch up meaning no mass physicals at little to no cost at the schools.  I hope that UIL grants a year of eligibility to healthy physicals and mandate a new one for any kid that has been hospitalized 

• Like 2