No Fall Football

Panther89

33 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Interesting in seeing how many schools let parents choose to either school classes or online classes. Know of some schools that’s how it’s going to be. 

I guess some athletes, like cross country, could do their athletic work early in the morning or late evening, but do online classes to stay away from the masses. 

43 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Our school has said if you choose the virtual classes then you cannot partake in any extracurricular activities. Which makes sense. 

That’s the way it should be, IMO. 

• Like 2

Greg Tepper from DCTF says there are too many issues to flipping season in Texas HS verses College and Pro. Those  college kids are there playing sports on specific scholarships they could play anytime or all at the same time in the spring.. PROS get paid big money to do their job, they don't play other sports there is no sports cross over there either..  In HS, especially at the lower classifications, you have kids playing all the sports.  If you play football in the spring,  Then you have only three months left to have them back playing football in the fall and the spring sports would wait even longer to get back on schedule. 

That's if you want to get back on a regular schedule in 2021 and not make this proposed flip permanent?   

Then, there is the recruitment end of it for HS players, seniors and juniors both suffer, especially players on the edge that need to prove themselves to have that limited opportunity for a scholarship.  Something that could affect their only long term access to a college degree and their future.  You and I both know that sometimes sports is the only available avenue for a kid to get a college degree and future career, not in sports.

Tepper asked, are you talking about a one year flip?, jumping out there and doing something drastic for one year, when there is absolutely no guarantee that the situation will be better in the spring.  Maybe no vaccine either.  That has been the problem all around, everyone is jumping to this and that, wear mask, don't wear mask. 

From my thoughts. There is a certain faction that would like this isolation to continue to cause problems until at least November.   They want everything that can be different, cause confusion and make people drastically change the way they do life.

Ivy League could lose all sports and it would not be a blimp on the radar of college football and most other sports in the college world.    They are just a bunch of left leaning elitist with Mommy and Daddy paying high tuition's which is more money than most people make in two years.  

Matt Stepp from DCTF said he just cant see this flipping season's having any legs in the U.I.L.   .......what he thinks is more likely than flipping seasons,  is maybe a delay to start to football season, with practice maybe starting around Labor Day and the season starting up the end of September or first week of Oct....this would push the state games into January and possibly push the athletic calendar into July...but to him, this makes more sense than flipping spring and fall sports.

Even the DCTF folks are waiting to see what transpires.

41 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Latest from the UIL. Schools can resume on the 13th..

https://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/covid-19-strength-conditioning-2020

I wonder how long the "no balls" rule will stick?  90% of the workouts will include footballs being thrown and caught, basketballs being shot and dribbled and  volleyballs being bumped and hit.  That rule is already broken.  

47 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Latest from the UIL. Schools can resume on the 13th..

https://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/covid-19-strength-conditioning-2020

Schutt sales rep phone are blowing up today with this.

For the purposes of this document, masks and face coverings include non-medical grade disposable face masks, cloth face coverings (over the nose and mouth), or full-face shields to protect eyes, nose, and mouth.  Face shields may be superior to cloth face coverings in many circumstances, given improved ability to see mouth movements and improved air circulation

On 7/6/2020 at 10:03 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

Our school has said if you choose the virtual classes then you cannot partake in any extracurricular activities. Which makes sense. 

I disagree, why would we make the decision more difficult for families?  This is a time that we need to come to a more simple and unified way of doing everything.  

20 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I don’t see the point in keeping your child at home so they are not exposed to a perceived threat then send them off to be around kids that have been exposed to a perceived threat all day. Exposing them at games, inside gyms, on bus rides but not the classroom doesn’t make sense to me. 

Agree. There's a breakdown in logic there. 

23 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Agree. There's a breakdown in logic there. 

There is no real logic happening in anything right now, because the truth is so hard to come by, so until the truth becomes entirely clear it is about bringing about Peace, patience, and calming so if the choice is given then the choice should be honored and why would we give in to the majority that thinks that school has become about extracurricular activities and thus make the decision ultimately about just that.

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I don’t see the point in keeping your child at home so they are not exposed to a perceived threat then send them off to be around kids that have been exposed to a perceived threat all day. Exposing them at games, inside gyms, on bus rides but not the classroom doesn’t make sense to me. 

Gonna be some ticked off parents. Already seen a few on Facebook complaining about it. If either of mine where old enough to play sports they’d for sure be at school the first day. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wildtigers said:

There is no real logic happening in anything right now, because the truth is so hard to come by, so until the truth becomes entirely clear it is about bringing about Peace, patience, and calming so if the choice is given then the choice should be honored and why would we give in to the majority that thinks that school has become about extracurricular activities and thus make the decision ultimately about just that.

I think this discussion is going to include state funding questions for in-person students vs distance learning students at some point.  If school district does not get funding for a distance learning student, why should they allow same student to participate in a school funded extracurricular program?  Going to be some tough conversations between now and August!

See the graph below.  Covid deaths have remained remarkably consistent throughout.  Cases have spiked due to increased testing, hospitals opening up for business, and the changing of reporting rules/multiple tests from same person being counted, etc...  The media reporting is to blame for most of this hysteria.  It is really sickening.

No photo description available.

2 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

See the graph below.  Covid deaths have remained remarkably consistent throughout.  Cases have spiked due to increased testing, hospitals opening up for business, and the changing of reporting rules/multiple tests from same person being counted, etc...  The media reporting is to blame for most of this hysteria.  It is really sickening.

No photo description available.

My daughters doctor told me that the common cold carries the same antibodies as covid. Folks with cold testing positive for covid is a reason enough not to care about graphs or charts. 

34 minutes ago, Olduy said:

TEA says mask for all students, since extracurricular activities are an extension of the classroom, how does that work.

Have to wear unless they are physically “exercising”.....

1 hour ago, Olduy said:

TEA says mask for all students, since extracurricular activities are an extension of the classroom, how does that work.

I think the TEA says that mask wearing will be consistent with the gov's executive order.  Hopefully that bs is lifted in the next month.

35 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

This will be a norm as well, IMO........ Good thing coaches are teachers first. 

What value did these school districts gain out of making this announcement now to their coaches?  As if there wasn’t already enough to deal with going into August.

• Like 1