Huntsville
Jacksonville
Lufkin
Nacogdoches
John Tyler
Whitehouse

Random thoughts:

District 9

Going to be a KILLER basketball district.  Sulphur Springs and MP have dominated East Texas on the court of late.  Marshall and Longview are no slouches.... and Texas High isn't an easy win either.   Should be a heck of a race.

Soccer race should be pretty good too.  MP has been one of the most successful 5A programs around.  Sulphur Springs usually isn't too far behind.  Longview is usually strong.  Should be a great three team race.  Pine Tree has history too.  Hallsville, Texas High, Marshall are all behind the 8-ball looks like.

Baseball should be an outstanding race too with Hallsville, Texas High, Marshall, and Sulphur Springs.  Pine Tree is always formidable too.  

The softball race should also be a tight one with Hallsville, Sulphur Springs, Marshall, and Texas High.

Track could be one of the best around with Longview, Marshall, Hallsville, Texas High, and Pine Tree.

Tennis between Texas High and Longview.... Pine Tree and Hallsville not too far behind.

Golf could be entertaining too with Hallsville. Longview, Marshall, Texas High, and Pine Tree.  

Volleyball should be outstanding with Hallsville, MP, Texas High, and SS.

Should be some great races in all non-football sports.

This thread is intended to keep up with all East Texas 5A from September-May.

Good luck to everyone.  Can't wait to see the football talk get started.

23 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Random thoughts:

District 9

Going to be a KILLER basketball district.  Sulphur Springs and MP have dominated East Texas on the court of late.  Marshall and Longview are no slouches.... and Texas High isn't an easy win either.   Should be a heck of a race.

Soccer race should be pretty good too.  MP has been one of the most successful 5A programs around.  Sulphur Springs usually isn't too far behind.  Longview is usually strong.  Should be a great three team race.  Pine Tree has history too.  Hallsville, Texas High, Marshall are all behind the 8-ball looks like.

For what it's worth, Longview's boys went 7-1 against both East Texas districts last season.

Soccer, I'm really disappointed our boys and girls didn't get to finish their seasons, They were two of the better teams we've had in recent years, which is saying a lot with how well we've been the last decade or longer.

We'll see how our girls basketball team will respond not having to play Horn and Rockwall. I know we lost to Mount Pleasant for the first time in our history last season. But it was an upset and down season like no other.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, Mavchamp said:

Spring Sports
District 16: 
Huntsville
Jacksonville
Lufkin
Nacogdoches
John Tyler
Whitehouse

District added Hunstsville and pulled Marshall, PT and Hallsville.

Nac graduated most of their B2B District Co-Championship Basketball team.

Volleyball should be Whitehouse's to lose.

Boys and Girls Basketball looks like Huntsville will be pretty good. Jax on the girls side as well!!

Girls Softball looks like Jacksonville will be the favorites.

Boys and Girls Swimming will be Nac as the favorite 

Baseball looks to be between Whitehouse, Jax and Lufkin

On 4/26/2020 at 2:08 PM, Matt said:

As for East Texas teams, Longview will beat HP.... but JT isn’t at HP level. No disrespect to JT, just the way it is. 

Your saying it like as if we didn’t go toe to toe with the state champion when we played 🤣🤣. But to each it’s own. 

2 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Your saying it like as if we didn’t go toe to toe with the state champion when we played 🤣🤣. But to each it’s own. 

He's saying it like he's talking about a team that went (3-8) last season.

• Like 1

I don’t think just making the playoffs satisfies Marshall.... or Lufkin... or...or JT... Texas High.

I think we all have higher expectations than just making it to the playoffs.  

Sure.... there are some programs that are just happy to qualify in the district.  And others that don’t even have that expectation yet. 

Bar is set higher for others.  Just like I think we all long to be at HP’s and Longview’s level.  

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

He's saying it like he's talking about a team that went (3-8) last season.

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Last season was last season... but when was the last time HP went 3-8? Look, I’m for ET, I hope JT beats them. 

6 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Dropping classification tends to heighten the expectations. JT going 3-8 is ridiculous. I didn’t say they achieve said goals. No one would be shocked if Lp won State . Heck even Marshall wouldn’t be a wow factor. The rest would be shocking to a extreme. Half of them are excited about just   making the playoffs.

I agree. Dropping helps. Schools like Henderson had to drop to finally win a title. 

28 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Yes most schools benefited from that. Henderson probably the only one who saw instant success from it. Some programs take time but get it done .

School up the road from Henderson won it the year they dropped. 

On 4/29/2020 at 12:02 PM, Raiderfan7000 said:

Exactly the task seems like an obvious mismatch. Team changes year to year but 3-8 can’t instill a bunch of confidence against a Traditionally Great program .

When scheduling was made you know only one that was taken notice was Longview. Respect does that . I am pulling for JT to change that perception.

Hope it happens for JT. Gotta find a QB

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Aledo said:

Thats the way it should be. Programs should always strive to get better and consistently make the next level. 

To tell you truth some JT fans are ok with being mediocre. Hinge why Holmes is still the coach.. Hince why we will barley make the playoffs again smh. 

• Thumbs Down 1

21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t think just making the playoffs satisfies Marshall.... or Lufkin... or...or JT... Texas High.

I think we all have higher expectations than just making it to the playoffs.  

Sure.... there are some programs that are just happy to qualify in the district.  And others that don’t even have that expectation yet. 

Bar is set higher for others.  Just like I think we all long to be at HP’s and Longview’s level.  

True. Anything less than a DEEP playoff run for LV, LUFKIN, MARSHALL, and a SELECT few JT fans is disappointing. 

• Thumbs Down 1

21 hours ago, Aledo said:

I think you or someone else said it before but any idea how many they return? 

4 on offense...

SR QB Rian Cellers (committed to Mississippi St for baseball), SR WR Caden Miller, SR LG Demarcus Day, SR RT Hayden Harrell

7 on defense (4-2-5)...

SR DE Jaylen Green, SR DE/OLB Clayton Smith, SR LB Jackson Halter, JR LB Javarous Tyson, SR S Caleb Arnold, JR S Darrin Finley, SR DB Lajontae Wrightner

Smith and Arnold getting the most FBS attention.

7 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Can't agree more! Believe it or not , JT would be a dangerous team with a steady qb, but I see playoffs this season. '21 JT is going to be LOADED!

I know!! I pray to god that we get one this season cause 21’ will most likely be a state championship run. Then the QB will already be ready for the run. 

• Like 1

I consider the third round a deep run.  That’s top 4 in your region. 

4th round is historical. 

5th is rare. 

Anything after that is once in a lifetime. 

I know how blessed we are as Maverick fans.  

Just in my lifetime I’ve seen a state championship, two state runner ups, a semifinals, couple of quarterfinals, and I’m willing to bet 5-6 region semis.  

And I refuse to belittle those first and second round losses.  Some of those seasons were amazing fun  just didn’t end how we wanted them to  

Very blessed and grateful   

And craving more!!!